• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I actually have several videos of aeropress recipes bookmarked, just haven't gotten around to trying them out. I need to see if there's a good coffee roaster in Greenwood, or nearby to try out and have some nice, fresh beans for my experiments... ;)
    My son has the Aeropress. He likes it. I don't think I would. You are basically making Americanos. You make a concentrated coffee and cut it with hot water.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks Greg, BTW what was the local coffee your buddy gave you to try? Since I only drink a couple of cups a day, I don't mind if it's premium priced coffee... ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2 pots today
    1pot in 2 travel mugs and the other in the thermos.
    I don't have time for the fancy brewing, Maxwell House in the Bunn
    Ah yes.....the days of up and out the door to do battle in the real world. Just enough time to run through the rain box/kids up and ready/coffee maker cranked over 1st thing/1 maybe 2 cups and out the door with the thermos holding the rest of that fresh pot. Nothing fancy and thank the Gods for Maxwell House Black silk.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks Greg, BTW what was the local coffee your buddy gave you to try? Since I only drink a couple of cups a day, I don't mind if it's premium priced coffee... ;)
    Needmore Coffee Roasters. It's $16.95 for a 12 oz bag. A price I said I'd never pay! I can bring you some to try next trip or a bag if you prefer. Needmore.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ah yes.....the days of up and out the door to do battle in the real world. Just enough time to run through the rain box/kids up and ready/coffee maker cranked over 1st thing/1 maybe 2 cups and out the door with the thermos holding the rest of that fresh pot. Nothing fancy and thank the Gods for Maxwell House Black silk.
    Was that what you had when I was there? I meant to say that was a good cup of coffee!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Needmore Coffee Roasters. It's $16.95 for a 12 oz bag. A price I said I'd never pay! I can bring you some to try next trip or a bag if you prefer. View attachment 120979

Thanks. I'm on their site and may just order something and have it delivered. I wonder if the particular blend you have there would work for me in a standard drip coffee maker? Might have to try it out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks. I'm on their site and may just order something and have it delivered. I wonder if the particular blend you have there would work for me in a standard drip coffee maker? Might have to try it out.
    It would work fine. I use the same coarseness grind whether drip or pour over.

What I like about it, is that it is a dark roast but no bitterness. I'm not a breakfast blend type of guy.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It would work fine. I use the same coarseness grind whether drip or pour over.

What I like about it, is that it is a dark roast but no bitterness. I'm not a breakfast blend type of guy.

You say you use medium coarse for the grind? I'm using a Baratza Encore grinder and would guess that would be set around 20, but would have to experiment.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You say you use medium coarse for the grind? I'm using a Baratza Encore grinder and would guess that would be set around 20, but would have to experiment.
    I have an older Mr. Coffee burr grinder with settings from "A-E". I have it set on "C" for drip/pour over grind. So, yeah, medium. :)

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    So how is everyone preparing their coffee? I've been venturing into grinding my own beans and trying various brew methods, but haven't been very pleased with the results. I've tried french press, a fancy drip coffee maker (Breville Precision) and a clever dripper, but none have made a really good cup of coffee. I've tried coffee from local roasters, as well as a couple of bags ordered from various roasters online. I've tried various grind settings, waters, temps and such, but never seem to be able to get it right. I have a Baratza Encore grinder that a local roaster recommended. I can go get a cup of Pike's Place from Starbuck's and be happy with it, but if I try to use their beans to make it at home I can't match what I get at their store. Same with BRCC Freedom Roast. Had a cup at the last NRA Convention and loved it, but making it at home thus far hasn't worked out. I was using a coffee journal to keep track of the various settings I've used for a while, but have lately just been using a Keurig making a subpar cup of coffee since what I make fresh is generally worse and takes more time. Thought I'd post here and get ideas from other coffee drinkers.
    Let's see...I use French press, Chemex, drip maker, and an Aeropress. The keys to all of them is the ratio of coffee to water and grind size. I generally start with a 15:1 ratio and manufacturer suggested grind size.

I use the drip maker and Tall, Dark, And Handsome from Joe Knows Coffee ($18/2 lbs on Amazon)for my workday coffee. My wife would kill me if I started grinding beans when I get up at 4 AM. I also really don't want to deal with a manual pourover method and need more than the French press or aeropress will make in a reasonable amount of time.

The Chemex is my favorite method when I have the time. Currently Valhalla Java is my favorite to use with it. Just hot the aeropress for Christmas so I'm still learning it and what brew/grind I like best.

The French press gives the dirtiest cup of coffee. However if used right will give an excellent cup of coffee.

Play with the ratio of beans and water and you will be amazed how much your flavors will improve. Yes, even with a drip maker.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've been using pretty much a 60g coffee to liter of water. I've varied it a bit, but doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. Still haven't had a nice, smooth, rich cup like I want.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Anyone use a Chemex?
    I’m curious the difference in taste vs drip and French press coffee
    Yep. I do. There is a huge difference in taste and texture.

Chemex is a VERY clean cup of coffee. The filter is thick, so there is basically no solids (sludge/muck/schmutz/etc). That's the good, the bad is that thick filter absorbs some of the oils that can add flavor notes that other methods will leave intact.

Since there isn't a filter, the press is a dirtier cup of coffee. There is quite a bit of sediment in the cup. Some people like it, some don't, others are apathetic about it. Personally I think the taste from a press is muddy and indistinct. It also leaves a...dusty...mouthfeel that I am not a fan of. I usually have to let the press sit for a few minutes to allow the sediment to settle, which tends to overextract the beans.

Top Bottom