• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't care for espresso, but I do like the occasional cortado. For daily drinking though, I prefer a standard cup of coffee. I have no problem paying extra for good beans, but even doing so I haven't been able to brew what I consider a good cup. I ended up picking up an aeropress since I've heard so many good things about it, but I haven't tried using it yet. Maybe that will be where I find success?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Watch youtube videos for the aeropress. That's how I figured out what works for me.

A french press is hard to mess up and works for more than one person at a time.

I found Keurig use lends itself to my lazy side. I never expect gourmet results and set it to small cup size with a 1/4 cup of milk in it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Watch youtube videos for the aeropress. That's how I figured out what works for me.

A french press is hard to mess up and works for more than one person at a time.

I found Keurig use lends itself to my lazy side. I never expect gourmet results and set it to small cup size with a 1/4 cup of milk in it.

Yeah, YT is where it's at for those kind of instructional videos. I wasn't getting very good FP coffee as well, which is part of the struggle, though I prefer filtered coffee.

I'm the same about Keurig. I use it for my first cup as I don't have the time to sit and screw with anything else when I first wake up. Second and sometimes a third cup of coffee is where I try to branch out for something with a bit more flavor.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Anyone use a Chemex?
    I’m curious the difference in taste vs drip and French press coffee
    I can't really tell a difference between the two. I plan on adding a Chemex to my armory for the reason that it is easier to clean up after the grounds in the Chemex. Oh, and they look neat.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Lucky for me I normally only drink 1 - 2 cups a day. On rare occasions 3 and no other forms of caffeine that amount to much. I know people drinking Coke and other caffeinated beverages who exceed this often.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    So how is everyone preparing their coffee?
    I have a Braun drip that I've used for 5 years now and really like. The keys for me is that it's programmable, so wake up to fresh brew, has hi/lo/medium for strength and temperature, so it's tuneable, a bit, and it uses #4 cone filters. If it's possible to brew a good cup using Mr Coffee style "flat" filters, I've never seen it. Could be a mental thing - with the flat filters, even with a healthy dose of grounds, the water seems to always splash grounds to the side so that you see the bare filter after the brew cycle - with the cone, it always drips through the grounds, not around.

Two cups every morning... no more, no less. Lol!

Quite awhile back I played with espresso, then a friend gave me a bag of Sant Eustachio beans he brought back from Italy. OMG! Worked with a local roaster who came pretty close. Some day I'll have space for a grinder and espresso machine again... sigh.

599hornet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Aeropress, you can find several methods online/YouTube like was mentioned. I’ve found that using a kitchen scale to measure the coffee/water and timing with a kitchen timer works well for me.

Been trying to buy my beans to grind local from Julian roasters and tinker coffee co in indy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I guess I'll have to break out the aeropress this weekend and give it a try. I haven't tried either Julian Roasters or Tinker Coffee Co. I'll have to look them up and try them out.

599hornet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I guess I'll have to break out the aeropress this weekend and give it a try. I haven't tried either Julian Roasters or Tinker Coffee Co. I'll have to look them up and try them out.

Enjoy, I used to use a French press and the aero is so much easier to clean up. If you Google “aeropress world championship recipes” you’ll get several methods to try, with water temps and weights.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Enjoy, I used to use a French press and the aero is so much easier to clean up. If you Google “aeropress world championship recipes” you’ll get several methods to try, with water temps and weights.

I actually have several videos of aeropress recipes bookmarked, just haven't gotten around to trying them out. I need to see if there's a good coffee roaster in Greenwood, or nearby to try out and have some nice, fresh beans for my experiments... ;)

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Freshness gets rid of the bitter. This is a simple quick 3 minute clip on using the Aeropress:

I pre-wet the rubber seal before assembly. I also wet the paper filter before puting it in. I always
    pre-heat the cup with boiling water. Listen for hissing or try to stop before you push the foam
    through the grounds.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So how is everyone preparing their coffee? I've been venturing into grinding my own beans and trying various brew methods, but haven't been very pleased with the results. I've tried french press, a fancy drip coffee maker (Breville Precision) and a clever dripper, but none have made a really good cup of coffee. I've tried coffee from local roasters, as well as a couple of bags ordered from various roasters online. I've tried various grind settings, waters, temps and such, but never seem to be able to get it right. I have a Baratza Encore grinder that a local roaster recommended. I can go get a cup of Pike's Place from Starbuck's and be happy with it, but if I try to use their beans to make it at home I can't match what I get at their store. Same with BRCC Freedom Roast. Had a cup at the last NRA Convention and loved it, but making it at home thus far hasn't worked out. I was using a coffee journal to keep track of the various settings I've used for a while, but have lately just been using a Keurig making a subpar cup of coffee since what I make fresh is generally worse and takes more time. Thought I'd post here and get ideas from other coffee drinkers.
    WT, I use a pour over to make my coffee. I have used French Press as well as drip coffee makers and even had a Keurig for a few years. I was glad when it finally crapped out. Never cared much for it, but it was a gift.

I was using the French press with whole bean that I ground and the pour over for store bought ground coffee but have since moved to the pour over exclusively.

The French press needs a coarser grind and there are so many variables to get consistent coffee out of them, that I decided I didn't want to fool with it anymore.

However, I am starting to find out what good coffee tastes like. Of course I can drink Folgers anytime. It is coffee and it works. Then there is Starbucks. I acquired the taste for it. Pike's Place was one of my favorites. Then I thought Community Coffee was it.

What I am finding is that the larger commercially produced coffees are only so good. But they are budget friendly.

Recently, my personal trainer gave me a bag of coffee from a local roaster. Man, was it good! So good in fact, that I pretty much instantly didn't like any of my old standbys. When I checked the price, my heart sank. I just can't justify paying that much for coffee. Or can I? I thought for a minute that I don't stop at a coffee shop every day on my way to work, I make my coffee at home. So if that cup of coffee costs m $0.50 instead of $0.06, so what? It's still a lot cheaper than $3.00!

One point to make; I drink my coffee black with no sugar. If you add extras to coffee, it doesn't matter much what coffee you use.

Oh, and the best coffee is that that I have with my friends!

Top Bottom