• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Small roaster gets me some whole beans....some sort of Jamacian blend.

Hand ground and ran through a French press.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Was hooked on some dark roast Sumatran whole bean that Sam's carried for the longest time, then they stopped carrying that excellent stuff.

Dunkin' brews an above average cup of joe.

Now, Aldi brand... it's good, not great, but cheap!

Same. I can't afford good coffee when I drink 4 cups a day. For me, it's either Folgers Columbian or Maxwell House Columbian, whichever is on sale.

On a different note. Does anyone ever feel like their coffee tastes like cigarette ashes? I don't smoke and I'm not around smoke at all. Sometimes I take a drink of coffee and it tastes like I'm drinking it out of an ashtray. Don't know if it's just me or what.
    Late reply on a revived thread, but.... I get this with a lot of dark roasts. Starbuck's is infamous for this with IIRC what they call their French roasts. Black and charred which means they passed the second crack... tastes like charcoal to me, which IMO is over-roasted.

Just this side of char, dark, dark brown, but still brown, not black, perfect.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've never been a big coffee connoisseur so whatever is handy works lol

I very easily could become one, and a beer snob, but I made a conscious decision decades ago not to go that way. I have enough expensive interests already. I don't need a finanically crippling coffee fascination as well. ;)

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Just cheap donut blend K cups for me lol
    Keep a stash for when traveling and only a Keurig is available. Most Keurig coffee reminds me of the old days crappy vending machine coffee. Donut shop blend k-cups, are decent enough for me to still drink black.

For me, cream and sugar for coffee is like steak sauce for steaks... only comes into play for truly horrible coffee/steak.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Same. I can't afford good coffee when I drink 4 cups a day. For me, it's either Folgers Columbian or Maxwell House Columbian, whichever is on sale.

On a different note. Does anyone ever feel like their coffee tastes like cigarette ashes? I don't smoke and I'm not around smoke at all. Sometimes I take a drink of coffee and it tastes like I'm drinking it out of an ashtray. Don't know if it's just me or what.
    I enjoy the cheap stuff like others have said our coffee machine is on as long as I am awake or it is reheated in the microwave for 1:25 and I can still enjoy it. Folgers Colombian in the big plastic tub at Costco or Kroger. I normally don’t see the need to pay gourmet price for roasted beans and I have only purchased one or two cups of gas station coffee since March corona hit. Something I used to do daily. Bought me a couple of nice ways to bring my own in.

once in a great while Starbucks Sumatra goes on sale and I will splurge buy some.(a rare occasion) My wife calls it cat **** coffee. So not cigarettes smoke but cat ****. Now I guess I my sense of smell does not say cat ****. It most definitely has a distinct flavor profile and on those occasions she just makes an instant cup and complains about my taste in all things.
    “That nasty cigar”
    “Screwball peanut butter whiskey really”
    “ you made manwich again”
    “That haircut is not what I would have had her do to your hair”

I mean I can go on but we have all been there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    Marion
    Maybe I'm a snob, but I never liked Folgers or any commercial brand. Maxwell House is the worst for me, even with Nexium, it causes my stomach to go volcanic. So for decades I've pretty much only drank Gevalia. First when it was mail order, then later when it was offered in stores. However, my most favorite varieties of Gevalia went away when they stopped doing mail-order, so I'm pretty much just getting the Colombian. HOWEVER... Death Wish coffee is pretty good and offers lots of Vitamin GO.

As for the boutique brands, I've not yet tried Blackout Coffee but I hear it's good and they are 100% pro-2A and even have a Guns&Gadgets Channel variety just for supporting Jared in his 2A news delivery.

Also new to the coffee market is DEFENDER COFFEE, http://defendercoffee.com and they are 100% pro-2A and nonprofit: After paying bills, 100% of the remainder goes to the 2A org of your choice. 3 are currently offered: GOA, FPC and SAF. NRA might someday be added but only if they FIRE WAYNE and stop selling us down the river! I'm also hoping soon to see an option for JPFO.org

HOWEVER... Black Rifle Coffee is DEAD TO ME. This all started when they tossed Kyle Rittenhouse under the bus because the woke mob made a fuss about him wearing a BRCC t-shirt. Come to find out, BRCC not only supports gun-confiscating cops (including BATF, if you dare to call them cops), but Hafer, the head of BRCC is a longtime supporter of antigun Demorats and a RINO or two. So BRCC is built on a big fat lie that somehow they're pro-gun; they are hypocrites and are just trying to milk pro-gun, pro-military conservatives for their coffee money.

I always vote with my wallet, so when an outfit like Benchmade, Yeti, Dicks, Cheaper Than Dirt (and now BRCC) sides with the antigun mob for the sake of profit or virtue signaling, they go on my DO NOT BUY list. Maybe some of you don't care, and that's on you. I believe if you care enough about your personal liberty to own a gun, you should care enough to be involved in 2A activism. This is why my 2A activism informs my purchasing the way my America First politics does. DEFENDER Coffee order 6-10-20.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Maybe I'm a snob, but I never liked Folgers or any commercial brand. Maxwell House is the worst for me, even with Nexium, it causes my stomach to go volcanic. So for decades I've pretty much only drank Gevalia. First when it was mail order, then later when it was offered in stores. However, my most favorite varieties of Gevalia went away when they stopped doing mail-order, so I'm pretty much just getting the Colombian. HOWEVER... Death Wish coffee is pretty good and offers lots of Vitamin GO.
    I've had the same problems with the reflux lately also, and yeah, the Gevalia is good to go. I've also found Blue Mountain Gold to not cause issues, and actually has a better taste.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have a bag of kopi luwak beans, death wish which is our current choice and some jack daniels (coffee!) which we like as well.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I'll drink it when I don't have to make it (any way it comes). I Keurig Columbian, or any other K-cup that goes in it. Now when I get all snitty with my nickers in a knot, I'll partake of some Brittish tea with cream, sugar, and crumpets on a platter. If we are talking coffee at home in my leisure? I order Blue Macaw Coffee Roasters: Organic Columbian Supremo Coffee beans and have them medium roast them. I then use a burr grinder on a medium setting to grind the beans. I place the coffee in my Aeropress with a paper filter and use Ice Mountain water in a kettle (same one I use to sod the water for me tea). I make a double shot then fill the cup the rest of the way with hot milk. It is very smooth and surprises when you discover you have the jitters from it.

Blue Macaw's owner travels to Columbia to sellect the beans. Then flies back to Georgia where her husband custom roasts the beans, vacumn packs them and ships them to me.

hoosierhawkeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    New Castle
    I like drinking coffee made from grinding whole-bean. Meijer stores carry Meijer brand 2-pound bags of whole bean coffee at a reasonable price. Generally there is a much smaller choice of brands available in whole bean coffees.

Top Bottom