• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Couple questions for anyone with a a lot of time behind the 22lr conversions:
    1) any deterioration in 223 accuracy after shooting a lot of 22lr?
    2) Did you find any AR buffer weight to work better than others with a mid length system?
    3) would you hesitate to put one of these in a higher dollar AR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not fired my conversion in years. And not what I would consider “A Lot”

1) .22 is soft lead and should not damage the barrel. The main issue would be .22 is dirty. I would recommend running some .223 to blow out the system.

2) The buffer doesn’t matter. It is not even needed for the conversion to work.

3) define high dollar. That is all about perspective.

tim7431

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Valparaiso
    Couple questions for anyone with a a lot of time behind the 22lr conversions:
    1) any deterioration in 223 accuracy after shooting a lot of 22lr?
    2) Did you find any AR buffer weight to work better than others with a mid length system?
    3) would you hesitate to put one of these in a higher dollar AR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have used mine in a AR pistol, a 16" carbine and a 20" with rifle length gas system. No issues what so ever. Haven't noticed any deterioration.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    So a few keynotes here.

-Heavier 22 will be more accurate because of twist rates.
    -You NEED to fire some 556 or 223 after running the conversion kit or you will leave lead in your gas port.
    -I’ve been told not to suppress with the kit because it may cause baffle strikes due to instability.
    -It wont be as accurate as a dedicated 1/16 twist .22lr barrel.

With all that said, I’ve ran near 10k rounds through my kit and a crappy take off core15 upper and have had zero issues with jams or ftf. I plan on buying a dedicated cmmg barrel/collar kit when they aren’t backordered into oblivion.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So a few keynotes here.

-Heavier 22 will be more accurate because of twist rates.
    -You NEED to fire some 556 or 223 after running the conversion kit or you will leave lead in your gas port.
    -I’ve been told not to suppress with the kit because it may cause baffle strikes due to instability.
    -It wont be as accurate as a dedicated 1/16 twist .22lr barrel.

With all that said, I’ve ran near 10k rounds through my kit and a crappy take off core15 upper and have had zero issues with jams or ftf. I plan on buying a dedicated cmmg barrel/collar kit when they aren’t backordered into oblivion.

How much is the conversion kit with a CMMG barrel kit compared to a Tippmann or S&W dedicated rifle? ...I just looked it up and it would be about $380/400 to convert a rifle.

I couldn't deal with the mixed reviews and some of the accuracy claims of roughly 2" at 25 yards was a deal killer with the conversion. Plus, if I bought a conversion it wouldn't be long before I felt compelled to make a dedicated rifle for it. I bought a Tippmann instead and am a huge fan.

Last edited:

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    How much is the conversion kit with a CMMG barrel kit compared to a Tippmann or S&W dedicated rifle? ...I just looked it up and it would be about $380/400 to convert a rifle.

I couldn't deal with the mixed reviews and some of the accuracy claims of roughly 2" at 25 yards was a deal killer with the conversion. Plus, if I bought a conversion it wouldn't be long before I felt compelled to make a dedicated rifle for it. I bought a Tippmann instead and am a huge fan.

So to convert, yea, its around 400 to add a dedicated .22 barrel to an upper you already own, but the flip side is, you can use that upper on any lower. Same trigger, same controls, same stock, same grip, etc… So for me that makes all the difference. No needing to mod another lower with all your fav parts, which can very easily drive up costs and end up costing the same as a dedicated upper and lower.

As for accuracy. The 2” at 25 yards is about what you get IF you run the conversion in a 223/556 barrel, and thats because of barrel twist rate. 22lr likes 1/16 twist. Most AR’s are 1/9 or 1/7. You can use the heavier 22 in a 1/9 barrel and get good accuracy but not as good as a dedicated 22 barrel.

I looked at the tippmans, and seriously contemplated one, but safe space is tight and all the other reasons listed above. Changing out safeties/triggers/bolt release, grip,stock, etc… Adds up real quick.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    So to convert, yea, its around 400 to add a dedicated .22 barrel to an upper you already own, but the flip side is, you can use that upper on any lower. Same trigger, same controls, same stock, same grip, etc… So for me that makes all the difference. No needing to mod another lower with all your fav parts, which can very easily drive up costs and end up costing the same as a dedicated upper and lower.

As for accuracy. The 2” at 25 yards is about what you get IF you run the conversion in a 223/556 barrel, and thats because of barrel twist rate. 22lr likes 1/16 twist. Most AR’s are 1/9 or 1/7. You can use the heavier 22 in a 1/9 barrel and get good accuracy but not as good as a dedicated 22 barrel.

I looked at the tippmans, and seriously contemplated one, but safe space is tight and all the other reasons listed above. Changing out safeties/triggers/bolt release, grip,stock, etc… Adds up real quick.
    Only shot so far at 35 yds in my hbar and getting way better groups that that.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy

This is where I stopped considering getting the conversion kit and just bought a SW 15-22 instead.

I know I could modify it as mentioned below your post by another user and it'll end up way more expensive but that wasn't really the point for me. I just wanted a cheap way to shoot 22 out of my AR but decided this would make due for me. I didn't like the idea of getting minimal accuracy out of it as it was just to be a cheap way to practice and plink so I'd rather have something dedicated now.

I'll probably build a nice ruger 10-22 with a fancy schmancy barrel from V Seven if I want to get into the 22 game more.

Sure the barrel costs as much as the gun but they give a lifetime warranty and there's some voodoo that goes into their barrels that 'swages' the bullets into a .20 cal which under some other forum users tests backs up their claims of increased velocity and accuracy.

I still might get the bolt conversion from cmmg for another AR especially as my son gets older if he gets more into shooting but aside from that I don't have much use for it now.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Years ago I had a CMMG conversion. I only had one AR at that time, a factory built CMMG so I figured it would be a good match. Nope, what a piece of crap. I couldn’t get through one mag without jamming. Accuracy was horrible. I can’t even remember what I did with it. Sounds like a lot of you guys have had great luck with them though. I’ve owned a Tippmann for about a year. Probably a couple thousand rounds though it with no problems at all using old cheap ass ammo and match stuff. It’s been used in three classes now. The accuracy is outstanding and it can keep up with my friends bolt guns.

Top Bottom