• ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Anyone here have any issues with these?

I'm thinking about just getting a couple and maybe skipping a 22lr by itself right now but it seems almost a silly idea given that the 22's I'm looking for are only about 2x as much as the cmmg kit itself.

Any reliability issues? I really haven't seen anyone batch too much about problems, and they seem few and far between.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'm thinking about just getting a couple and maybe skipping a 22lr by itself right now but it seems almost a silly idea given that the 22's I'm looking for are only about 2x as much as the cmmg kit itself.

Any reliability issues? I really haven't seen anyone batch too much about problems, and they seem few and far between.

They work, mostly. Lotta mixed stories. They are not an inherently accurate design. There is a fair amount of YouTubes out there. Here is an older one...

Please report back with your review.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I have gotten some trigger time with a CMMG kit installed in a Great Lakes AR. Wylde chamber 16" with 1 in 8 twist.

Through about 150 rounds there was no malfunctions and it was pleasant to use. Accuracy was quite good maybe 2 inches at 25. Point of impact was fairly close at 25 yards. Only thing I did not like was the 22 deposited filth in the gas system. At the end we shot 5.56 from it and a lot of debris came flying out the side of the rifle.

I would not hesitate to buy one.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I have gotten some trigger time with a CMMG kit installed in a Great Lakes AR. Wylde chamber 16" with 1 in 8 twist.

Through about 150 rounds there was no malfunctions and it was pleasant to use. Accuracy was quite good maybe 2 inches at 25. Point of impact was fairly close at 25 yards. Only thing I did not like was the 22 deposited filth in the gas system. At the end we shot 5.56 from it and a lot of debris came flying out the side of the rifle.

I would not hesitate to buy one.
    Well that narrows down which rifle I'd use for it then.

No way I'll use it in the nice build. I heard that it got it nice and dirty but debris coming out is next level filth.

I'm having poor luck finding a used 22lr that I want so I was thinking about just doing this with my cheap AR. But I still want decent accuracy at 100.

Maybe not really the product for me.

I'll still buy one for the "what if" situation like many other weird products. But maybe not for a while.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne

Just got one for my son but still in the package so I could return it , where did you see a complete 22 AR so cheap? Would prefer a dedicated 22 but didn't want to pay the prices I've seen on them , thanks

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have one. I've only shot a 100 or so rounds through it in my colt Hbar. No issues, seemed accurate. Haven't used it since I bought a S&W 15-22. I've since put it in my SHTF bag.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've seen the 22lr conversions run like champ, and I've seen them turn an otherwise working rifle into a jamming machine. I think it all depends on the rifle setup, the 22lr ammo especially, and the quality of the conversion kit. It's a gamble, every time.

The dedicated 22lr rifles are typically pretty great. I've got an old M&P 15-22 and I absolutely love it. The biggest reason I have it is as a training tool for when times get expensive with ammo, like now. When I bought my 15-22 that was the only option, but now there's a Tippmann M4-22 that gets good reviews now too.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    I have one and have ran it a little through a couple different rifles. No issues, other that the dirt…
    I ended up building a dedicated 22lr upper w a 4.5” (I think it is) and run it w a SilencerCo Spectre II. Runs great and some bulk 22 is subsonic through it.
    *If you go the dedicated upper route, you’ll need to get a ‘collar’ that snugs up to your 22 barrel. This piece will swap with the fake 223 adapter on the end of your conversion.
    I’d def recommend getting the conversion kit!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've seen the 22lr conversions run like champ, and I've seen them turn an otherwise working rifle into a jamming machine. I think it all depends on the rifle setup, the 22lr ammo especially, and the quality of the conversion kit. It's a gamble, every time.

The dedicated 22lr rifles are typically pretty great. I've got an old M&P 15-22 and I absolutely love it. The biggest reason I have it is as a training tool for when times get expensive with ammo, like now. When I bought my 15-22 that was the only option, but now there's a Tippmann M4-22 that gets good reviews now too.
    I originally looked at a conversion but heard too many bad things about them in a Wilde chamber. Good to hear that someone above is having good success in a Wilde.

I opted for a 15-22. After a considerable amount of work, I really like it. It's a lot of fun and my wife likes it too.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Picked up a CMMG kit in the classy's a few years ago... Ran fine, dirty. Finally went dedicated .22 barrel with the collar adapter to use the kit. YMMV. They are fun for what they are. :thumbsup:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a CMMG conversion kit I bought used. It's been a jam-o' matic. I'm sure CMMG would make it good if I sent it in to them, but since I'm not the original purchaser I haven't reached out.

I got tired of futzing with it and bought a MP 15-22. That's a much better solution in my opinion.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I just ordered one yesterday from Cabelas. I know someone that has one in their AR build and never a problem, after shooting it was pretty impressed. He has a higher $ AR barrel in 16" and he is getting incredible accuracy. Even taking shots out to 200 yds. So thinking my 20" HBAR Colt should do good. It also works perfect with the Franklin Binary trigger. I hope to get the CMMG this week and Friday I have a flat top stripped upper coming in to switch out with the old style handle, can't handle the scope sitting that high anymore. As soon as I can I get back how it all runs and shoots. I know way back decades ago the .22 conversions didn't impress me, seemed no one liked them. But sounds like these CMMG are the way to go. One other thing he is shooting heavier .22 and says better accuracy...think 40gr. I'll have to ask again, just know he said was running heavier.

Last edited:

tim7431

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Valparaiso
    I have one. I've never had any issues. Never had a failure or jam. If I had 1 complaint it would be the mags are harder to load and they are $$$. Buy the kit with the mags. I mean why buy an AR-22 when you can shoot your own rifle, pistol that you are already familiar with? Great training tool. I had a Mossberg AR-22 before I got the CMMG kit and I'll never go back. Get it, you won't regret!

tim7431

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Valparaiso
    I just ordered one yesterday from Cabelas. I know someone that has one in their AR build and never a problem, after shooting it was pretty impressed. He has a higher $ AR barrel in 16" and he is getting incredible accuracy. Even taking shots out to 200 yds. So thinking my 20" HBAR Colt should do good. It also works perfect with the Franklin Binary trigger. I hope to get the CMMG this week and Friday I have a flat top stripped upper coming in to switch out with the old style handle, can't handle the scope sitting that high anymore. As soon as I can I get back how it all runs and shoots. I know way back decades ago the .22 conversions didn't impress me, seemed no one liked them. But sounds like these CMMG are the way to go. One other thing he is shooting heavier .22 and says better accuracy...think 40gr. I'll have to ask again, just know he said was running heavier.
    I read that someone is coming out with long range .22LR ammo. I just can't remember who. I think it said it's designed for distances out past 100 yds......Interesting to say the least.

tim7431

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Valparaiso
    I have a CMMG conversion kit I bought used. It's been a jam-o' matic. I'm sure CMMG would make it good if I sent it in to them, but since I'm not the original purchaser I haven't reached out.

I got tired of futzing with it and bought a MP 15-22. That's a much better solution in my opinion.
    Reach out....I own 2 Banshees and a .22 conversion kit. Their customer service is excellent. I bought my 1st Banshee in .45 acp. It was used from a pawnshop. It wouldn't cycle correctly, I contacted them and they arranged for me to send in my gun. I got it back and it ran like a top. Chews up any ammo I put in it (they recommend no steel case, so I have avoided that).

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Ok got the carry handle upper off and new flat top put on today on the Colt HBAR, had since the late 80's.
    Then FedEx just dropped off the CMMG .22 conversion. I got a 25 rd. mag but just put some Federal Walmart blue box ammo in. Have had it for ages, bought a bunch of boxes of the stuff back when it was around $12, maybe 15 years ago. They say the rounded AR hammers work best, looks like my Colt is the notched, 1978 model. It fired every round flawless. I just fired at the gong at 40 yds, scope from carry handle is down on flat top and not sighted yet. Have to see later how accuracy is, also had to order new scope mount to raise it a little and move forward, can't really get to the charging handle as is.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Couple questions for anyone with a a lot of time behind the 22lr conversions:
    1) any deterioration in 223 accuracy after shooting a lot of 22lr?
    2) Did you find any AR buffer weight to work better than others with a mid length system?
    3) would you hesitate to put one of these in a higher dollar AR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom