Cloud Defensive REIN Micro. Great piece of kit or overpriced POS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I recently bought a Cloud Defensive REIN Micro and so far have mixed feelings about it. I wanted something good that came as a complete kit that was easy to use. This is not what I found to be the case with the REIN MICRO. It did come as a complete kit but assembly is kind of a nightmare. The light control switch is about the most fiddley thing I've ever tried to assemble and even after watching several videos of how to route the cable through the cable management channels I've still not gotten it exactly right. No matter how I try to tuck the cable into the channels and tighten down the screws on the switch I can still pop it off with my fingers. I've got this thing tucked like a Target swim suit and it's still not secure. Also the switch body is polymer. For as much as this thing costs I expected aluminum. I've already managed to pinch the cable and it frayed the protective layer. It didn't get into the actual wire but it's still annoying. I already ordered a new switch assembly. Also the cable is ridiculously stiff and fights the whole time. I got it mounted and it is a nice concept and looks great and protects the wire well. If you can avoid pinching it during assembly. It's brighter than my Arisaka light but uses 18350 batteries which I'm not 100% crazy about but at least it's rechargeable and I don't have to search for batteries when needed. Overall it's nice but I don't feel it's worth the premium price. I would not feel comfortable running this light in a class or in a competition setting as I feel the switch will pop off at some point. I'm going to wait for my new switch assembly and try to remount it and hopefully not pinch it this time. But if it doesn't work out then I'll probably go back to my tried and proven Arisaka set up.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I can't post pictures right now but mine will not. Which ever side I route the cable through is the side I can pop loose. If I pull on the opposite side it's tight and doesn't move. But where the cable goes through the channels it won't allow the switch body to fully engage the picatinny and I can leverage it off fairly easily. It's probably operator error and I do have a new switch assembly ordered. So hopefully that fixes the issue. Otherwise I like it and I think it's overall cheaper than piecing together a light body, tail switch, torch head and mount/switch mount

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    My only beef with the Micro is that the 18350 cell run time is too short. I like Cloud, wish their threads were more interchangeable. I'm beating myself up for not getting the REIN 2.0 fullsize.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I got my new switch assembly today. Got it mounted. This one is slightly different than the one that came with my light. I ordered a 5" version. The cable on the one that came with my light measures 4". I only thought there was a 3" and 5" version. The cable on the new one also seems more flexible. This new one seems to fit better also. I don't feel like I can pop it off as easily but I still think I could if I tried hard enough. Still think it should be aluminum for the money spent. Anyway with the new switch assembly I'm satisfied with it. It does what I want.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    The cable has some memory to it so you can bend and shape as needed. I agree they are a pain to get set up but once mounted they feel pretty good. Cloud also warranties their switches, so if you mess something up shoot them a message and they will take care of you.

Top Bottom