• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can always consider a consensus for grilling out at the house Saturday.
    Zero creepy wait staff.....

The girl (waitress) wasn't creepy, just inexperienced, overwhelmed, and put in a difficult situation by a bad manager. That manager was awful and made what was a minor problem into a big problem with her hostility, lies, accusations, and all around being a See You Next Tuesday. Incredibly bad customer service, incredibly bad leadership, and an incredibly bad example for her employees.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    The girl (waitress) wasn't creepy, just inexperienced, overwhelmed, and put in a difficult situation by a bad manager. That manager was awful and made what was a minor problem into a big problem with her hostility, lies, accusations, and all around being a See You Next Tuesday. Incredibly bad customer service, incredibly bad leadership, and an incredibly bad example for her employees.

I expect you wrote a sternly worded letter to Paul Hogan about the service? As the spokesman for everything remotely connected to Australia, he should be held accountable.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    Keep an eye on the weather for this weekend, it seems like it can't make it's mind up whether to rain or be hot and sunny (so probably 100% humidity!) Less than a week! Should be a good time for all.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Only 2 spots left in this one.... So if you were waiting until the last minute to sign up it is now officially the last minute....;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In the hotel. The Outback is walking distance. Still not going.

The sideways rain has let up a bit.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Back home. Lots to think about from this class. Randy is to be congratulated for putting on a good class. I plan to think about things for a few days and post some thoughts. J Bishop was a very good host who added valuable thoughts to the class. The pub he took us to had good food. Pretty nice guy who was blamed for everything. Got to spend the weekend with Cedartop giving me valuable life lessons and wisdom, and he even trusted me to drive to and from the range on Saturday.

Short version is that I am glad I took this class.

Topshelf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2017
    New Albany
    I am definitely interested in hearing more feedback on this class from you as well as any others that participated in the class.

I signed up for the class with recommendation from J Bishop. I have never taken a class before and did not know what to expect. I went in with an open mind and ears and Randy did not disappoint. Weather was out of everyone's control but Randy made it work the best he could. It was definitely out of my comfort zone and I am not upset about that at all. Great class and will be looking at taking more with Randy. Cedartop and J Bishop also added great knowledge to the class as well.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    FYI- I have 1097 pics on the GoPro. A lot if it is junk, nonetheless it's a big chunk of data. As soon as I can get it to a sharable mode, I'll share with the students (be patient).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This was a very good class. It is not for a new shooter. There were a few guys in the class that this was their first class but they were shooters and were recruited by J Bishop. So he knew them and their abilities and he was correct in his choices. They did fine. If you have never had training of an intermediate level prior to the class get some first. If your gun handling (different from marksmanship) is lacking get some training and fix that first. If your marksmanship is lacking get some training and fix that first. Don't be the one holding the whole class back because Randy has to teach you how to get hits. We did not have that person in this class and we were all relieved that we did not. Although I would have enjoy watching Cedartop do some mentoring.

This is a tactics, concepts and live fire class. It is a fairly narrowly focused class on the topic of Close Range Gun Fighting, but there is a lot of stuff to this topic. It was a full two days. There is more left to cover and to deal with after the class but that is always the case. You need to know how to draw, re-holster and hit the target before you show up. Randy is going to teach you how to apply those skills in the arena of using a pistol to fight to protect yourself and your family. This class expands the borders of the square range more so than any other class I have taken, and with does so without silly risks like have people down range and pointing guns at each other.

There is great instruction on shooting from retention positions that is valuable and that you will not get from watching youtube video. This is worth the price of admission if you feel shooting from retention is something you need to know how to do. The proper use of cover is another topic that Randy dealt with in the class. The use of cover is something that many people have no idea about and this class does a lot of good on that topic.

A major point of emphasis for the class is dynamic movement off the X, or the line of force. There is a lot of instruction on how to do it and how to do it well while getting hits on the target. There is considerable teaching on the technique involved with getting those hits while moving. For the details, take the class.

Getting off the line of force, shooting from retention positions, using cover, competing in the final drill or drills all is explained in depth, and in the context of an armed citizen using a pistol. It is not from a LE or Military context. It would be useful to LEO or military folk because it would be a skill building enterprise, but it is dedigned for John/Jane Q Public.

Randy Harris is a subject matter expert that is teaching a class that is right in his wheel house. Randy is a nice guy who does not let his ego get involved in the class and what he is doing. He is a fine teacher. He can get the material across to a wide range of folks. I saw this first hand in class this past weekend. Randy can shoot as well as he can teach. He is probably the best firearms teacher that you have not heard of, and he is better than many you have heard of.

I would be willing to attend or even host other classes that he teaches. If you are looking for great training check Randy out.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    On a related issue. J Bishop is a good guy and doing great things to try and bring new blood to police training down there in his area. I hope he continues with that effort and I hope some more in the LE community follow his example and lead.

Damn it Jeff. Keep up the good work.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    On a related issue. J Bishop is a good guy and doing great things to try and bring new blood to police training down there in his area. I hope he continues with that effort and I hope some more in the LE community follow his example and lead.

Damn it Jeff. Keep up the good work.

AMEN...he's got the knowledge, drive and desire to help officers become more competent and confident with their abilities. He's the kind of guy that needs to be running a department's training.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    After reading and rereading Coach's assessment of the class I guess I'm a little humbled that someone with his level of training and expertise would have those comments about a class I taught. Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    I also appreciate the kind words. I need to venture up north and catch a class with both Coach and Cedartop sometime soon.

I like to encourage people to take CRG class with Randy because I see how much of it:
    A.) is useful/applicable in all facets of daily life (not just when guns are involved)
    B.) Parallels much of what we see/deal with in the LE context.

I agree with what Coach says, this is not a "Hardware" class (drills of draws/reloads/malfunctions/etc), it's more of a "Software" class. A good balance of Technician and Tactician makes for a formidable person. It's not to say there aren't techniques/skills/drills to take away from CRG, it's that successful understanding of CRG class should reshape how you deal with situations.
    When I describe CRG to people, I usually say it's more of a "Tactical Problem Solving" class than just a "Shooting Class"

It's easy to train and retrain on the same stuff we're already good at (it keeps our egos un-bruised). Choosing to push outside your comfort zone widens your view on the world and exposes deficiencies you may not have known you had. With the amount of information and skills picked up from Randy in just about any class he teaches, it usually turns out to be one of the best returns on investment you can make in training dollars.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I also appreciate the kind words. I need to venture up north and catch a class with both Coach and Cedartop sometime soon.

I like to encourage people to take CRG class with Randy because I see how much of it:
    A.) is useful/applicable in all facets of daily life (not just when guns are involved)
    B.) Parallels much of what we see/deal with in the LE context.

I agree with what Coach says, this is not a "Hardware" class (drills of draws/reloads/malfunctions/etc), it's more of a "Software" class. A good balance of Technician and Tactician makes for a formidable person. It's not to say there aren't techniques/skills/drills to take away from CRG, it's that successful understanding of CRG class should reshape how you deal with situations.
    When I describe CRG to people, I usually say it's more of a "Tactical Problem Solving" class than just a "Shooting Class"

It's easy to train and retrain on the same stuff we're already good at (it keeps our egos un-bruised). Choosing to push outside your comfort zone widens your view on the world and exposes deficiencies you may not have known you had. With the amount of information and skills picked up from Randy in just about any class he teaches, it usually turns out to be one of the best returns on investment you can make in training dollars.

That's only true if you're actually good at something.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    That's only true if you're actually good at something.

True. On the continuum between internet trained "experts" to those constantly pushing the limits, I give some due credit to those who at least get out and train, even if it's within their safe spaces. This refers to a past conversation with someone who spent tons of money on gear and training annually. One time he stated that he was going to attend the same rifle class for yet another session. I asked why he was taking the same class repeatedly. His reply- "Because I'm good at that class". Costly way to stroke your ego I guess....

Top Bottom