• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok Clip for me at least no brained the cartridges are clipped together. But Magazine ? Seriously how does that make sense? I am really confident I have never used a periodical to load my 1911 ? So a little research was in order. Appears Magazine is an old term that originated from something that was meant to store. Interesting.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Clip to me is something like the Garand uses, or a stripper clip etc.
    Magazine to me is something that has a spring in it to push up and out ammunition.

Magazine
    MAGAZINE, noun

1. A store of arms, ammunition or provisions; or the building in which such store is deposited. It is usually a public store or storehouse.

2. In ships of war, a close room in the hold, where the gunpowder is kept. Large ships have usually two magazines.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    All multi-round firearms have magazines, as far as I'm aware. The magazine is where the rounds are contained prior to being fired.

Some firearms have removable magazines, in which the magazine can be removed from the firearm, reloaded with rounds, replaced with the same or a different magazine, etc.

Some firearms have fixed magazines, in which the magazine cannot be removed from the firearm. For such firearms, a clip may be used as a tool to reload the magazine. The clip holds the rounds, properly oriented, for loading into the magazine.

(About this time, you should have heard a ping in your head. Or is that just me. Wait: don't answer that.)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ok Clip for me at least no brained the cartridges are clipped together. But Magazine ? Seriously how does that make sense? I am really confident I have never used a periodical to load my 1911 ? So a little research was in order. Appears Magazine is an old term that originated from something that was meant to store. Interesting.
    When you think about it the term magazine for both the periodical and for the containing of rounds is congruous. Both are used to collect and hold a group of things. One does it for various articles and the other does it for cartridges ;)

1680358080220.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can we retitle the thread, language is interesting? :cool:

Seriously though, some of the historical meanings are quite interesting…
    Good idea. Like Fathom.
    A fathom is 6'. Which is roughly the length of a man's outstretched arms, fingertip to fingertip.

And the saying "I cant fathom...." and "I cant put my arms around this problem" means the same thing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    All multi-round firearms have magazines, as far as I'm aware. The magazine is where the rounds are contained prior to being fired.

Some firearms have removable magazines, in which the magazine can be removed from the firearm, reloaded with rounds, replaced with the same or a different magazine, etc.

Some firearms have fixed magazines, in which the magazine cannot be removed from the firearm. For such firearms, a clip may be used as a tool to reload the magazine. The clip holds the rounds, properly oriented, for loading into the magazine.

(About this time, you should have heard a ping in your head. Or is that just me. Wait: don't answer that.)
    This, exactly and concisely... as would be expected from an engineer... the math-and-physics-oriented kind, not the train-driving kind. :)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Battery is another word that has undergone a similar interesting shift in meaning. It used to mean a set of multiple artillery pieces firing in conjunction with one another (which it still can mean.) The word was borrowed to also mean a set of electrical cells connected together to provide electrical power in conjunction with one another. Interestingly enough, most of the things we call "batteries" (think AA and AAA alkaline batteries) are actually, strictly speaking, not batteries, but simply individuals cells. Typical 9 volt batteries, however, are true batteries, since they contain six 1.5 volt cells connected in series to provide the full 9 volts.

The more you know. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Good idea. Like Fathom.
    A fathom is 6'. Which is roughly the length of a man's outstretched arms, fingertip to fingertip.

And the saying "I cant fathom...." and "I cant put my arms around this problem" means the same thing.
    I’m curious now on the evolution of munitions and ammunition to their current meanings. But to busy to look them up now but this thread made me think of it…

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Second meaning. "Magazine" has a long time usage going back centuries for the room, building or bunker on a ship for ammunition and gunpowder storage.

Top Bottom