• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Wife and I are planning to stay at Clifty Falls state park a few days in February. Looking for suggestions in the following: Best pizza; best bbq; best breaded tenderloin. Also any good gun shops or surplus stores in the area? Any must-see recommendations? We'll probably hike most of the trails in the park while we are there, so looking for other types of activities/attractions.

Thanks

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Be very careful on the trails...Especially with the weather we have had...We lose about one a year there.....

https://madisoncourier.com/Content/...ves-trail-dies-in-fall-at-Clifty/-2/-2/102399

Go to Hinkle's...Just go.....

img5.jpg

Hinkle's Sandwich Shop & Family Restaurant - Madison Indiana since 1933 - Best burgers & shakes around!

If you are up to it a good hike is to hike from the base of the falls to the end....You end up by the Nature Center and can rest up there for your hike back....
    Spend time downtown......

If you hike the trail I suggested you will see fossils all over the place.....

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Wife and I are planning to stay at Clifty Falls state park a few days in February. Looking for suggestions in the following: Best pizza; best bbq; best breaded tenderloin. Also any good gun shops or surplus stores in the area? Any must-see recommendations? We'll probably hike most of the trails in the park while we are there, so looking for other types of activities/attractions.

Thanks

For BBQ: Smokin' Crowe's in Hanover.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Be very careful on the trails...Especially with the weather we have had...We lose about one a year there.....

https://madisoncourier.com/Content/...ves-trail-dies-in-fall-at-Clifty/-2/-2/102399

Go to Hinkle's...Just go.....

img5.jpg

Hinkle's Sandwich Shop & Family Restaurant - Madison Indiana since 1933 - Best burgers & shakes around!

If you are up to it a good hike is to hike from the base of the falls to the end....You end up by the Nature Center and can rest up there for your hike back....
    Spend time downtown......

If you hike the trail I suggested you will see fossils all over the place.....

How's their breaded tenderloin?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If you happen to stay at the lodge in the park, they have a pretty good breakfast complete with fried biscuits and apple butter. They used to have a Sunday brunch buffet that was pretty good, but it’s been a year or so since the last time we were there.

I think the hiking at clifty is the best you can get in Indiana. You can do anything from a light 15 or 20 minute walk to very rugged hike depending on the trails you choose. We like to park back by trail 8 and take it to trail 2, which takes you down into the gorge and across the creek. From there you can hit a few different trails and head towards the fire tower at the front of the park, from there, I believe it is trail 5 that goes back down to the creek and you can get back on trail 8 to head back to the car.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We like to park back by trail 8 and take it to trail 2, which takes you down into the gorge and across the creek. From there you can hit a few different trails and head towards the fire tower at the front of the park, from there, I believe it is trail 5 that goes back down to the creek and you can get back on trail 8 to head back to the car.

That's the one I was talking about OP.....A very fun hike...And beautiful as well...Thanks for remembering the trail numbers Tommy!!!!

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Well it rained the entire time we were there. Trails overrun with mud, so only hiked a little. Loved Smokin' Crowe's BBQ and Red Pepperoni. Hinkle's not so much. Wife had a burger, nothing special. I had a breaded tenderloin, but it turned out to be a pork fritter, not a true tenderloin. Spent $100 at a winery, and also bought some shotgun ammo at Madison Outdoor.

Made up for the lousy tenderloin by stopping at Nickel Plate Grill on the way home and had one of theirs. 100% better!

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

Top Bottom