• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We've got a lot of birds in the backyard as we have several feeders. Sometimes it goes quiet and we know one of the neighborhood hawks is in the area. We've watched them watch and wait, with an occasional grab attempt, fairly often. Like most natural predators they come up empty more than they score a hit.

But one hawk has figured out a pretty clever way to up the odds of a successful swoop. He flies into the bush near the sunroom where several birds shelter and flushes them out toward the sunroom. A few always whack into the window, which stuns them and then he just snatches them off the ground. At first I thought perhaps it was a lucky break, and maybe it was, but the hawk has apparently learned the trick works. He just did it again, which is the 3rd time I've witnessed it.

We've also got a bald eagle visiting the area. I've seen them closer to the river before, but never hanging out over in my neighborhood.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a murder of crows throwing a fit out just beyond where I can see. That means a hawk is on the hunt here.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    We've got a lot of birds in the backyard as we have several feeders. Sometimes it goes quiet and we know one of the neighborhood hawks is in the area. We've watched them watch and wait, with an occasional grab attempt, fairly often. Like most natural predators they come up empty more than they score a hit.

But one hawk has figured out a pretty clever way to up the odds of a successful swoop. He flies into the bush near the sunroom where several birds shelter and flushes them out toward the sunroom. A few always whack into the window, which stuns them and then he just snatches them off the ground. At first I thought perhaps it was a lucky break, and maybe it was, but the hawk has apparently learned the trick works. He just did it again, which is the 3rd time I've witnessed it.

We've also got a bald eagle visiting the area. I've seen them closer to the river before, but never hanging out over in my neighborhood.
    See if you can get a pic of the bald eagle. Love to see them in Indiana.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    We watched a Bald Eagle and a Hawk fighting for an hour at our place last summer. It was neat to hear them screeching at each other. The female Eagle sat in a tree on our property the whole time. I would love to see them nest on our property but they live at the lake nearby.

Don

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Shame all the starlings have been eradicated from your area and now the hawk has to use other means to survive.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We watched a Bald Eagle and a Hawk fighting for an hour at our place last summer. It was neat to hear them screeching at each other. The female Eagle sat in a tree on our property the whole time. I would love to see them nest on our property but they live at the lake nearby.

Don

Bald eagles mate and nest for life usually. Our friends have a nest behind their house and a storm destroyed it. The were disappointed and fears losing the birds, but they rebuilt in the same tree…

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Was at a wedding in a private home a few years ago, and the homeowner had a large sun room. As we sat in it, a hawk repeatedly bashed into the 6 foot tall yew outside the corner of it. Startling at first, but the old boy was eating well.

Top Bottom