• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I have a rifle I'm about certain has a bad chamber from my"gunsmith". I had it chambered about fifteen years ago and never really shot it much. Being deer legal now have had some trigger time and noticed incipient case head separation on my brass. I kind tried to check the headspace with tape on the bolt face but won't know for certain until my no/go gauge arrives. My question, if I decide to rebarrel to a different caliber, has anyone here actually finished a short chamber by hand? I've watched a few videos but I've also watched a few on vehicle repairs that weren't quite as easy as watching them. I'm pretty well mechanically inclined but want some been there done that feedback before I buy a barrel and rent a reamer only to find huge disappointment or worse percent disfigurement. Leave it your the pros? What say INGO?

Supposed to be permanent disfigurement(auto correct run amok)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This really sounds like work best done on a lathe, unless you have one maybe it's best left to a pro that has one.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I wouldnt do this by hand. If you want help we can do it on my lathe.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It could be done. If you are a patient PATIENT person, use lots of oil, and check about every turn after you completely clean the chamber, you could get it done. Truthfully, it's kinda no harm no foul if you cut too deep by a few thousandths, because then you are just in the same boat about going to somebody with a lathe.

But don't bother taking up this project unless it's just to prove to yourself that you can.

Call Allen.

-Nate

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I kind of thought I was over my head on this. From what I've read on here you would certainly be the guy to take advice from. I will PM you later about details and have a couple questions. Thanks much!!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    It could be done. If you are a patient PATIENT person, use lots of oil, and check about every turn after you completely clean the chamber, you could get it done. Truthfully, it's kinda no harm no foul if you cut too deep by a few thousandths, because then you are just in the same boat about going to somebody with a lathe.

But don't bother taking up this project unless it's just to prove to yourself that you can.

Call Allen.

-Nate
    Thanks for the advice, will PM Allen.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you choose to chamber your rifle by hand and then later wish to sell it, the value of the rifle will be zero in my opinion. And it would be wrong to keep this important fact a secret from the buyer. I am sure you are an honorable person so this surely does not apply to you.

Concentricity is the issue. Not depth. There is only one way to have a concentric chamber to the bore. The proper tools and the ability to use them. That is why chambering a rifle by a pro is not cheap.

Top Bottom