• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    There are numerous ways our civilization could collapse -- earthquakes (New Madrid anyone?), wars, nuclear attacks, asteroid strike, CME, EMP, pandemic, financial collapse, etc...

It seems to me more and more non-preppers today are getting the message and starting to prepare. I live in a small town in rural SW Indiana and I feel if we could get more people preparing and sending a positive message to citizens, then it would be easier on all of us in our community when something happened.

A while back I contacted our city EMA person with a plan to handle EMP attack and got crickets in response. Have any of you folks talked to your community leaders/elected officials about preparing for high impact/low frequency planning for disasters? If so, what has been their response?

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    If the attack is as widespread and devastating as predicted, why would you expect a city to handle it on its own? State and federal plans would be implemented. Some approaches for all disasters are going to have similarities. How much information do you want everyone to have access to?

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    If the attack is as widespread and devastating as predicted, why would you expect a city to handle it on its own? State and federal plans would be implemented. Some approaches for all disasters are going to have similarities. How much information do you want everyone to have access to?

Having a city-wide plan to handle most crisis events is far better than none. Of course, there are different needs depending on the situation. Regardless, having the confidence of citizens goes a long way to keeping order and civility.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    In most scenarios the government will collapse especially a financial one. In his book James Wesley Rawles How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It. Most people will quit going to work after not getting paid. Law enforcement, fire etc. The book is down to earth with no BS.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    In a true EOTW situation, the last thing in the world I want (need) is gov. involvement of any kind. In particular I don’t want them to know my ability, thoughts, equipment, stores, situation. Let them take charge of the sheeple and I will take charge of me and mine. How did gov. intervention workout for folks after Katrina??? Good Luck. I truly hope the best for you if the ball ever drops.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Interesting visible bio. Member since 2017, 39 postings. Now here in preparation forum? Hummmm???? JMO.

Edit to add: no disrespect intended or implied just found it interesting.

Last edited:

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Interesting visible bio. Member since 2017, 39 postings. Now here in preparation forum? Hummmm???? JMO.

Edit to add: no disrespect intended or implied just found it interesting.

Been a member here for long time but mostly just browse and learn. I've been prepping as much as I can. I just wish more people in my area had the same mentality so when things go south we are all a little better off. Oh and no dis taken. Cheers!

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    In a true EOTW situation, the last thing in the world I want (need) is gov. involvement of any kind. In particular I don’t want them to know my ability, thoughts, equipment, stores, situation. Let them take charge of the sheeple and I will take charge of me and mine. How did gov. intervention workout for folks after Katrina??? Good Luck. I truly hope the best for you if the ball ever drops.

In Lights Out and One Second After, the people did well by banding their energies and resources together for the good of their community. Everyone pitched in and helped. I realize these are just stories and real life would probably be a lot more chaotic but I'd like to hope tight communities could pull through.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They are not coming to help you.

Continuity of government is for them and that is what they will do. Take care of themselves.

Forest fire they are not coming, tornado they might send a truck of water and some tree removal equipment to open roads they need open. Regional large scale earthquake CME EMP Astrid strike Koreans on the hill. They are not coming to help you.

Be the fire department, be the medic, be the security team, be the mechanic be the farmer. If you can be one great if you can be three greater.

Be the food line don’t be on the train to the resettlement camp.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    They are not coming to help you.

Continuity of government is for them and that is what they will do. Take care of themselves.

Forest fire they are not coming, tornado they might send a truck of water and some tree removal equipment to open roads they need open. Regional large scale earthquake CME EMP Astrid strike Koreans on the hill. They are not coming to help you.

Be the fire department, be the medic, be the security team, be the mechanic be the farmer. If you can be one great if you can be three greater.

Be the food line don’t be on the train to the resettlement camp.
    Yep, that’s plan A, now put in place B, C, and D. One is none.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wouldn’t use fiction to determine what works. Gives good strategy and tips but you have to look at the real world to see what works. And frankly there’s little precedent for a disaster of global proportions

However, being united with like minded people in a crisis is far better than being alone. Having a good plan is better than none. Having supplies is better than none.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Voluntary association is the key. Make sure you can communicate with your MSG.

When any level of gov gets involved, one of their fist priorities is to inventory supplies that can be redistributed. That means your supplies. If reason fails to pry your supplies loose, government has been know to use the alternative - force.

Voluntary? You have my complete cooperation.
    At the point of the gov bayonet? Get off my lawn.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And how long is it going to take for state/feds to get rolling? Let's go with a not end of the world and realistic possibility, New Madrid fault line let's loose big time. IIRC last time it did, it rang church bells in Boston. I'm going to guess that a large amount of bridges will be down/damaged, railroad tracks the same, and quite a few roads as well. Aircraft landing strips? Good chance they will be damaged. So no semis, train cars, cargo jets, etc for a while. It'll be air drops, helicopters, and some trucks. Towns/cities/counties at least the smaller ones will be mostly on their own for a bit.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    And how long is it going to take for state/feds to get rolling? Let's go with a not end of the world and realistic possibility, New Madrid fault line let's loose big time. IIRC last time it did, it rang church bells in Boston. I'm going to guess that a large amount of bridges will be down/damaged, railroad tracks the same, and quite a few roads as well. Aircraft landing strips? Good chance they will be damaged. So no semis, train cars, cargo jets, etc for a while. It'll be air drops, helicopters, and some trucks. Towns/cities/counties at least the smaller ones will be mostly on their own for a bit.
    ”The last time it happened“ That‘s how Real Foot Lake (Tenn) was formed if I’m not mistaken, caused the miss river to flow backwards. Or I think that was the NM fault. Timjbb, me and you would get our hat’s handed to us.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ”The last time it happened“ That‘s how Real Foot Lake (Tenn) was formed if I’m not mistaken, caused the miss river to flow backwards. Or I think that was the NM fault. Timjbb, me and you would get our hat’s handed to us.
    I remember when another earthquake was predicted along the NM fault back in either the late 80's or early 90's. I remember because I was working at TGI Fridays in the kitchen and I wore my spelunking hardhat (complete with carbide lamp) to work that day.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We’ve had a couple of small rumbles in my lifetime at least one was attributable to the NM fault I remember it from news accounts.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    ” I can also unequivocally state (and I don’t know an emergency manager who would disagree with me) that NOBODY should expect help from their government during the first few weeks of any major disaster. The issues we saw in Katrina and Sandy (among others) only confirm it. The people who needed help right away were the ones who didn’t prepare. They took away resources that could have been used to recover infrastructure and bring the communities back on line a lot sooner.” - Valerie Lucus-McEwen, 2012

Top Bottom