• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am looking for real world information on reloading for the 45 Colt Circuit Judge. Any information would be of help. Thank you much for your time.

One question I have is can you use the same ammo that is used in a lever gun in the Judge? I have read some postings that say you can't. They claim that the cylinder makes it week and you will blow it up. I think there is a lot of bad information out on the Judge.

Thank you much for any information you can offer.

You all have a great day.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Watching because I have a circuit judge also and haven't been fussy about what I fed it.

Sent from my Z3351S using Tapatalk

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I cannot imagine a manufacturer putting out a pistol that couldn't handle SAMMI spec ammo. It's not a 44 mag. Don't hotrod the loads and your good.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The reloading books separate standard .45 colt loads from modern lever/contender/blackhawk loads. Stick with standard loads and you're good.

Had the same question (and answer) regarding my smith.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    russc2542 if I go into a gun shop and ask for 45 colt rounds for my lever gun they will ask what brand and give me a box.. I go into the same shop and ask for a box of 45 colt rounds for my Judge he will give me the same box I got for the lever gun.

Now i go to the range and shoot them both you are saying bad things are going to happen to the Judge?

If that is the case and I get hurt or the gun is damaged someone is going to get sued. For starters the place that made the gun. They have no warning on the gun that it can't use modern ammo. Modern, like is used in a lever gun.

Well that is the way I'm looking at it. They can't sell a new rifle that can't use modern ammo.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    russc2542 if I go into a gun shop and ask for 45 colt rounds for my lever gun they will ask what brand and give me a box.. I go into the same shop and ask for a box of 45 colt rounds for my Judge he will give me the same box I got for the lever gun.

Now i go to the range and shoot them both you are saying bad things are going to happen to the Judge?

If that is the case and I get hurt or the gun is damaged someone is going to get sued. For starters the place that made the gun. They have no warning on the gun that it can't use modern ammo. Modern, like is used in a lever gun.

Well that is the way I'm looking at it. They can't sell a new rifle that can't use modern ammo.
    Well, it depends. Some ammo manufacturers state that their ammo should only be used in certain makes/models. Buffalo bore for example. Some of their .45 colt would probably not be safe in a Judge or some other modern handguns/rifles. This one for instance.

But what I believe russc was talking about was reloading ammo, not buying it pre made. The manuals list different recipes depending on what you are going to be using the ammo in.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Are you reloading for it or buying factory ammo for it?

factory lever vs pistol: I'd worry more about a Blackhawk or Contender load than a lever gun load. There are some very old lever guns. It may have more to do with powder burn rates and barrel length. Especially using flat or soft-tipped bullets for a tubular magazine. Peak pressure is just one part of the equation. You'd have to check the actual ammo in question to be sure.

Manufacturers do tell owners what to run in the gun... so why don't you look up the owners manual for the taurus and see what it has to say! Smith (I mention because I have one) has been making .45 colt revolvers for how many decades? This whole time they've come with warnings NOT to use "modern" loads. Meanwhile Ruger's also been making revolvers and their Blackhawk's probably tougher than an antique lever gun and from what I read while researching my Smith, nigh impossible to blow up.

https://rossiusa.com/Rossi®_Circuit_judge_manual.pdf says no overloaded ammo so I'd stick with standard .45 colt loads, not modern hotrod loads.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    russc Thank you very much for your help.

I have loaded 10 round of 45 Colt. I used 21 grains of 296 and 230 grain bullets. That is a starting load. I will let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom