Christmas Project for the Grandson

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
73   0   1
Aug 18, 2011
Southside Indy
Just picked this up from USDS a few minutes ago. It's a Stevens Model 87D (gill gun or "click-clack" rifle). It was made in 1959, the same year that I was made. :): They said they took it out and fired it and it functioned as it should, so I'm going to refinish the stock, take it apart and clean and lube it and it should make a nice little squirrel gun for the grandson (11). Here are the before pics:

red_zr24x4

Biden, not my President
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mar 14, 2009
Walkerton
Nice rifle
I've got 2 of them, one with factory peep sights. If you ever need parts check Numrich, I've bought a few there

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
73   0   1
Aug 18, 2011
Southside Indy
Nice rifle
I've got 2 of them, one with factory peep sights. If you ever need parts check Numrich, I've bought a few there

I've got a High Standard Sport King and it's a nice rifle too. Hopefully this one won't need any parts, but Numrich is my go-to for most stuff. Hopefully the grandson will get a kick out of a gun that was made the same year as Papaw. :) If he takes care of it, it should last long enough for him to pass it on to his son (or daughter, or grandson or granddaughter) someday.

Mongo59

Expert
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 30, 2018
Purgatory
When I took one of mine down it had worm holes in it!

I love those old gill guns, make sure to show him how to use it "bolt action".

Most have been tapped for optics by now.

Them are keepers, the gun and the grandson...

Usmccookie

Master
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 28, 2017
nwi
If I got a gift like this from my grandpa, it would forever be a prized possession. Looking forward to hearing how this plays out. :yesway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
73   0   1
Aug 18, 2011
Southside Indy
Thanks B&G! I decided to go with a dark walnut stain after all. There were some areas of uneven coloration so I think that will help it be a little more uniform.

gregkl

Outlier
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Apr 8, 2012
Bloomington
Thanks B&G! I decided to go with a dark walnut stain after all. There were some areas of uneven coloration so I think that will help it be a little more uniform.

If you haven't already stained it, you might try a wood conditioner first. It can help reduce any blotches that occur in wood like that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
73   0   1
Aug 18, 2011
Southside Indy
If you haven't already stained it, you might try a wood conditioner first. It can help reduce any blotches that occur in wood like that.

Oops... too late! Already stained and the first coat of spar urethane is on it now. There are still a few imperfections, but that's okay. Papaw has a few imperfections too. :):

Top Bottom