• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Wasn't the dig on 10mm that the OAL made the grip frame awkward for some hand shapes/sizes? Thus the impetus for the .40.
    Or was that only endemic to the Bren Ten?

I've never had any interest in a 10mm, as I believed the front strap to back strap length was longer than a .45 1911. That's about all the reach I can manage. In fact, all my 1911's, save one, are bobtailed, and much more comfortable to me because of it.

Was I misinformed all these years?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    There aren't enough DA/SA 10mm options that come as a de-cocker only with no rails in a steel frame.

There's the SIG 220, Grand Power 40L, EAA Witness, Old 3rd Gen S&W Autos... those are basically the only ones I know of and I'm not sure any of them are De-cock only other than the 220. That's not a deal breaker though but there still aren't enough all metal DA/SA's without rails.

I'm just old school I guess, does everyone put lights on their pistols but me? lol
    yes some are even equipped with decorative multi colored l.e.d.s

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I don't think a "one size fits all" approach is best. 10 is awesome in full size guns. While it can be used for both hunting and self defense.... Its too much for MOST shooters in smaller carry guns.

Which is what we learned in the 90s
    Which is why the 40 became so popular

Then folks kept shooting poorly with subcompact 40s and complaining of recoil

Then the 9mm popularity skyrocketed

Now we have come full circle.

I think there will always be a need for two calibers to effectively ccw and hunt (for most people)

Pics to keep the thread interesting
    th-321846138.jpg

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Wasn't the dig on 10mm that the OAL made the grip frame awkward for some hand shapes/sizes? Thus the impetus for the .40.
    Or was that only endemic to the Bren Ten?

I've never had any interest in a 10mm, as I believed the front strap to back strap length was longer than a .45 1911. That's about all the reach I can manage. In fact, all my 1911's, save one, are bobtailed, and much more comfortable to me because of it.

Was I misinformed all these years?

All of my 10mm are full size 1911's, and the grip sizes are the same as any other 1911 full size. And while I enjoy shooting them, I have no desire to shoot a 10mm compact. As I get older, I find that recoil is not my friend!

Just for fun:

IMG_1896.jpg

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    All of my 10mm are full size 1911's, and the grip sizes are the same as any other 1911 full size. And while I enjoy shooting them, I have no desire to shoot a 10mm compact. As I get older, I find that recoil is not my friend!

Just for fun:

View attachment 280226

Now that's what I call a 10mm to envy. The Bruin and the Kodiak, I think, are some of the most desirable factory guns in this caliber ever made. When they are discontinued they will be extremely collectible.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Tweaking the thread title a bit, "Choosing A Drill Bit For Every Application."

Makes about as much sense.

With only one, you'll do a few things efficiently and well, and many others things not so much.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Tweaking the thread title a bit, "Choosing A Drill Bit For Every Application."

Makes about as much sense.

With only one, you'll do a few things efficiently and well, and many others things not so much.
    Bad analogy. Bullets ain’t drill bits.

A good 10mm compact could comfortably run 40 S&W level power levels and also handle the hot stuff if needed. The only thing missing is the good compact platform.

As far as 1911 10mm pistols, I really don’t see the point. Capacity is similar to .45 ACP, and you can get 10mm power levels out of .45 Super with a recoil spring swap without having to stock another caliber. Not that .45 ACP +P hard cast wouldn’t take care of any woods gun needs east of the Mississippi river.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Nothing wrong with the S&W 10mm, but the Springfield XDm Elite Compact (3.8”) 10mm is a great gun and has been my EDC for over a year.

It has either 11 round mags or 15 rounders with a grip extension. I actually shoot it better than any of my 9mm handguns, for whatever reason.
    I've been looking at the 3.8 xdm for a carry gun. I love the 10mm and would like another for the 10 collection . One of the sig x10's too need added

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A good 10mm compact could comfortably run 40 S&W level power levels and also handle the hot stuff if needed. The only thing missing is the good compact platform.

This ^

10mm comes in many different bullet weights, and power. As Route 45 said you can buy some low power 10mm such has Federal HST or you can step up to 155gr XTP, or upto 220gr Buffalo Bore, and Underwood made 10mm.
    There are very weak loads like S&B, Magtech etc as well for plunking.

I used to have a nice list of many different 10mm loads but lost all my information when my old phone died. (Lesson learned)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Cool in full sized guns. I'd hate to shoot it in a carry gun. I'd imagine it's no worse than a J frame 357 though. .357 in a lightweight JFrame is like giving a high five to a 2x4.
    Absolutely LOVE my 360J in .357 magnum...and while 158 and 180 grain are absolutely brutal at the range, I've found that 110 grain shoots smoothly, is manageable, is accurate, and allows me to shoot 20-25 per outing that doesn't leave me feeling 'pained' in anyway! Having the right grip on it, one that fits one's hand properly and securely and is not awkward or ill-fitting, matters!

Top Bottom