• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    But but... women should be empowered.

25 years ago the wife thought her snubby was a great way to dispose of malfunctioning appliances.
    After she leaned Mr. Coffee up against a tree twernt nothing safe.

K-T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    Richmond
    I know I'm chiming in on an old thread, but as a woman wanted to throw in my two cents.

First, if the woman in your life is at least somewhat interested in getting a gun, see if you can encourage her to go to a basic handgun class without you. She can go with her mother, sister, daughter, female friend - basically any woman she would like to have with her for the day, but not you. Encourage her to try every gun that is available at the class (and maybe even send her with several of yours). From what I've seen, women tend to prefer a more structured introduction to handguns than what a lot of men are used to - and it's also often easier for them to accept instruction from and ask questions of someone who isn't their husband. Once the woman in your life comes back from her class with thoughts on what she liked, feel free to ask some questions to help determine if it is time to head to the gun store or if more testing time is warranted.

Second, she doesn't have to pick out a carry gun right away, and it's probably going to be easier if she doesn't. I suggest picking out something she is comfortable practicing with first - something that fits her hands (by her definition), has a manageable amount of recoil (again by her definition), and has her relatively proud of where she can place her shots on the target. Once she's comfortable with that gun, then she can start thinking about what she would like to carry. Jumping straight to a carry gun introduces the elements of stopping power, size, and weight that can sway someone to pick out a gun they ultimately won't like to shoot, and therefore won't carry.

Basically, I'm suggesting that helping the woman in your life choose a gun does not start in a gun store and probably should not involve you in the early stages (and not because I don't like you, promise!).

Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Another girl chiming in here--

I am not picky. I feel confident shooting most things, assuming it's not a 12 gauge shotgun without padding for an hour. ;) That said, something I have found with many female friends, and an angle the article did not cover, is the potential for physical limitations. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I'm never going to shoot a Desert Eagle, because I don't trust my grip strength/endurance. My mother-in-law has basically zero grip strength due to health issues and may feel like a .22 is all she can handle. Another friend weighs all of 90 pounds soaking wet and is also very weak. These are things to consider that aren't necessarily female-only issues, but are more likely to be a factor for a woman, and while they aren't insurmountable, a G26 like he recommends will never be a .22. People can practice grip strength and tune shooting stance, but that also takes time of course.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Your wife needs to get some training/education, and make the choice herself, not you or anyone else. Have ended up upsetting more than one husband, but pleased many a wife.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    My wife is has been a revolver lady for years. She has a Kimber k6, Smith feather, Taurus. I recently bought a Kimber micro 9 crimson and she took it from me. Her comment was but you’ve been toting around the same gun for years, you don’t need this one.

King Noodle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Bloomington IN
    I don’t know what I did to get so lucky but she loves what i do for the most part! Sometimes its just because its pretty and as long as it isnt a terrible pick or insanley expensive i just say go for it. She LOVES her p365 though.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My wife has chosen every gun she owns not to mention a couple she has bought for me. She is a member of three chapters of Armed Women of America (formerly The Well Armed Woman). She shoots a lot more, and considerably better, than I do both at the pistol range and in a prairie dog town. She's been to Gunsite Academy and several other training facilities. She currently carries a Glock 43X ("don't leave home without it") and usually shoots a Walther PDP-F in a pistol league at Atterbury. I stay out of the way when she's gun shopping. :cool:

mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    I went through several iterations to find my wife her edc gun. Started with a G26 gen3. She caŕied it for several years then complained it was too heavy. Got her an LC9. She found the recoil to be too sharp. Got her an LCR in 38 spl. She loved it but asked for something else with slimmer profile. Got her a Kahr cw380. She loved the profile, size, and how it shoots. But the slide is too heavy for her to rack. Then got her a G42. This fits her bills. Still keep the G26, LCR and cw380. Got rid of the Lc9

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    My female advice is let them pick what works for them.
    My first 9mm was not the prettiest... but it had a very nice grip. It jammed frequently so it did teach me how to handle jams quickly and move on. Since then I traded it in on a Glock 42 that I love. After neck surgery I had to rebuild what my neck and arms could do. The .380 was great... then back to the 9mm.... and on to the .45. I like them all for different reasons and it depends on where I am going and what I want to carry. My fingers have arthritus so I did have a lighter trigger kit put in the 357 revolver.. No one has ever picked out a gun for me.... but they have assisted to see how I liked the feel of the grip... the ease in racking... and other tips to help me choose. I encourge anyone interested in getting started to try what I have available out to see what they feel comfortable with. Then take them to store that is accomidating and not intimidating to women to help with choices of what they have.

Top Bottom