• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

China has opened dozens of “overseas police service stations” around the globe to monitor its citizens living abroad, including one location in New York City and three in Toronto.

“These operations eschew official bilateral police and judicial cooperation and violate the international rule of law, and may violate the territorial integrity in third countries involved in setting up a parallel policing mechanism using illegal methods,” reads a report by Safeguard Defenders, a human rights watchdog, released earlier this month.

The Chinese government has claimed that the stations provide vital services to its citizens living abroad, though the report notes that many of the services are those that would be traditionally carried out by an overseas embassy. Instead, the report argues that the stations have been used to enhance China’s overseas law enforcement capabilities in possible violation of international law. The report also outlines the potential human rights abuses associated with the stations, including using harassment and intimidation methods, such as threatening the family members of the overseas citizens. The stations have also served as centers to spread Chinese government propaganda and monitor the behavior and opinions of Chinese nationals.

How, just someone tell me how in the ****** **** this is allowed or even possible? No pushback federal state or local? This isnt an embassy its ENFORCEMENT OF CHINESE LAW on American soil. I dont understand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

How, just someone tell me how in the ****** **** this is allowed or even possible? No pushback federal state or local? This isnt an embassy its ENFORCEMENT OF CHINESE LAW on American soil. I dont understand.

We have FBI offices in China as well, as well as multiple other countries. It appears to not be remotely the same, however. We rely more on the host nation to do the heavy lifting while our guys serve as trainers, advisers, and consultants more than hands on investigators *generally* speaking. GWOT issues notwithstanding. We are also invited by the host nation. Secrety squirrel things aside (do we engage in extrajudicial acts like extraordinary renditions? Probably. Either directly or via proxy. We didn't coordinate or consult with Pakistan before ruining Osama Bin Laden's day, for good reason, mind you.)

I trust the media about as much as I trust China, though. I tried to go direct to the source to read the report, but the website is incredibly slow.

Looks to be an NGO who primarily focuses on China's human rights abuses. Which I assume to be a fertile ground for exploration.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the 80s when Japanese manufacturers were handing us our ass they had a lot of people over here. I made a lot of new friends and contacts as the company I worked for supplied a number of Japanese companies starting up or already existing here in the US. Some of these folks were shy about embracing America while others were the complete opposite. You would see some of the ones that became "Americanized" shipped back to Japan and they didn't want to go.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Purdue has chinese students that are intimidated and controlled while they're here getting advanced degrees that will eventually be used against us. You don't need to have an office in the locality, just snitches and access to family back home.

But Kong’s harassment isn’t an isolated incident. He recalled a doctorate student from Florida International University receiving similar treatment from the Chinese Scholars and Students Organization.

The CSSA is in almost every university in the United States. Kong said the organization is popular among Chinese students because it provides information regarding housing and food and for sharing viewpoints.

The blowback, he said, was fast and frightening. His parents called from China, crying. Officers of the Ministry of State Security, the feared civilian spy agency, had warned them about his activism in the United States.
    “They told us to make you stop or we are all in trouble,” his parents said.

“If those students who issued the threats can be identified, they will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action,” the university president continued. “Likewise, any student found to have reported another student to any foreign entity for exercising their freedom of speech or belief will be subject to significant sanction.”

“Those seeking to deny those rights to others, let alone to collude with foreign governments in repressing them, will need to pursue their education elsewhere,” Daniels finished.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom