Chicago Bears buy Arlington Track. Chicago STILL paying off upgrades to Soldier Field.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Yes and the city should also not allow hot dogs or pizza to be called Chicago Style if they are outside of Chicago city limits. How do you propose that all of that gets enforced?
    Just like every other enforcement. Selectively to bring as much attention to it as you can .

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You really have odd ideas of what corporations look for when they locate their business. I'd like to see where any business used the existence of a NFL team in a city as a criteria for moving their business there.

Does the NFL rate better than MLB or NBA? Is it even better if they have multiple sports teams?
    It is odd that the C-suite is looking at a list of priorities and among those priorities is not to be in a place the rest of the world looks down their nose at? I have looked at this topic for a long time, I realize that NFL teams by themselves do not generate easily identifiable economic benefits for the city. However, there are intangible "feel-good" effects like sense of community pride, world class city status that attract other businesses.

I know most of you discussing this are not really big sports or football fans but these diversions are important to a lot of people. The prestige of the NFL is undeniable. One NFL game televised on Christmas Day generated similar viewers to the entire slate of NBA games, of course the SB is the biggest event in the US every year, and about 40 of the 50 most watched TV shows per year are NFL football.

The priorities of corporations relocating consider are varied, obviously economics is huge but so are access to talent, being near influencers and customers, and employees experience. Access to the Colts and Pacers is a part of promoting central Indiana to potential corporate headquarter relocations, even in the surrounding counties.

The majority of citizens disagree with the takes here, There is an unquantifiable energy the pro teams bring to their regions, something for the community to bond over, celebrate, and, as the Colts have gone the last couple of seasons, commiserate with one another. They offer excellent opportunities for business meetings and or rewards to employees and in Indy can be done in a relatively safe environment.

There is nothing odd in my ideas of what corporations are looking for…

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It is odd that the C-suite is looking at a list of priorities and among those priorities is not to be in a place the rest of the world looks down their nose at? I have looked at this topic for a long time, I realize that NFL teams by themselves do not generate easily identifiable economic benefits for the city. However, there are intangible "feel-good" effects like sense of community pride, world class city status that attract other businesses.

I know most of you discussing this are not really big sports or football fans but these diversions are important to a lot of people. The prestige of the NFL is undeniable. One NFL game televised on Christmas Day generated similar viewers to the entire slate of NBA games, of course the SB is the biggest event in the US every year, and about 40 of the 50 most watched TV shows per year are NFL football.

The priorities of corporations relocating consider are varied, obviously economics is huge but so are access to talent, being near influencers and customers, and employees experience. Access to the Colts and Pacers is a part of promoting central Indiana to potential corporate headquarter relocations, even in the surrounding counties.

The majority of citizens disagree with the takes here, There is an unquantifiable energy the pro teams bring to their regions, something for the community to bond over, celebrate, and, as the Colts have gone the last couple of seasons, commiserate with one another. They offer excellent opportunities for business meetings and or rewards to employees and in Indy can be done in a relatively safe environment.

That same energy is there when a team pays for their own stadium.
    That same team can loan/lease time in the stadium when they are not using it.
    Investors like to make money.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That same energy is there when a team pays for their own stadium.
    That same team can loan/lease time in the stadium when they are not using it.
    Investors like to make money.
    All true, but it leaves out market size and market dollars. Cities like St. Louis, Indy, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati are just not viable for investor owned stadiums. NY, LA, Miami can make that work, particularly when two teams play in the same facility in two of them.

So at the end of the day, if a corporation is evaluating possible headquarters locations, Indy can be competitive with Chicago on the pro sports checkbox, not better, just competitive. Cities without lose that box, obviously it is debatable how important that box is to each corporation.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Does anyone believe NCAA headquarters would be in Indy without the fieldhouse and stadium?

The city and area are on national display to millions of TV viewers many times a year, Colts, Big10 events, a city cannot buy that kind of exposure.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's still the GOVERNMENT picking 'winners' and 'losers'.
    If they are going to buy a stadium for private companies, then they need to buy my home for 'work from home', or buy a steel mill for the steel company.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I am a sports fan, and I think it’s great having a football team close by to root for. But I’m not willing to impose the cost for my entertainment on those who don’t give a **** about sports ball. The NFL makes a lot of money. Let them pay for the stadiums.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am a sports fan, and I think it’s great having a football team close by to root for. But I’m not willing to impose the cost for my entertainment on those who don’t give a **** about sports ball. The NFL makes a lot of money. Let them pay for the stadiums.
    I'm sure the founding fathers wanted to help the rich.
    Really.
    I'm sure.....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    An expensive entertainment venue, I've never been in the Hoosier Dome, Lucas, Market Square or the Fieldhouse. I didn't like being taxed for them, but now I don't live in the doughnut counties or have any relatives living their either. Ammunition, insurance and gasoline are my primary entertainment expenses.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's still the GOVERNMENT picking 'winners' and 'losers'.
    If they are going to buy a stadium for private companies, then they need to buy my home for 'work from home', or buy a steel mill for the steel company.
    Apples and oranges. The NFL is a creation that is not possible without government involvement, namely their anti-trust exemption. One cannot just start an NFL team.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The city should not allow them to use the name Chicago in their description of the team And put the sports broadcasters and the nfl on notice that any use of Chicago in their broadcasts will result in a lawsuit.
    Cities cannot trademark their names.

Let's see- now many NFL teams play home games outside of the city they are named after:

New York Giants
    New York Jets
    Washington Redskins (yep)
    Miami Dolphins (not in Miami, Miami Gardens)
    Buffalo Bills
    Dallas Cowboys
    San Francisco 49ers
    Maybe more

[ETA]

Los Angeles Rams
    Los Angeles Chargers
    Los Vegas Raiders

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am a sports fan, and I think it’s great having a football team close by to root for. But I’m not willing to impose the cost for my entertainment on those who don’t give a **** about sports ball.
    There is a correlation to the positive growth of Indy and the efforts to promote sports in the area, first amateur, then professional. That tide lifts all boats no matter if one wants to admit it or not…

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Remembering the NYC "bankruptcy" of the 70s I wonder if Chicago will ever have to go through the same.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Apples and oranges. The NFL is a creation that is not possible without government involvement, namely their anti-trust exemption. One cannot just start an NFL team.
    And no one can start a company call United States Steel.
    Cause it's trademarked.
    Do we then buy the buildings for them?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You clearly have no background in economic development. Several hundred new high paying jobs created in the center of the area and all the associated businesses they attract seems lost on you.
    The city paying for ALL people's places of employment would do the same.

Glad to see you support my position.

Top Bottom