Chicago Bears buy Arlington Track. Chicago STILL paying off upgrades to Soldier Field.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As usual, taxpayers screwed again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No one builds domes anymore. Maybe the author is a Millennial and thinks any stadium that has a roof is a domed stadium.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are we complaining about a team buying property and building their own stadium? I say good. Let them build and pay for their stadium.

Chicago uses Soldier Field for more than just the Bears. If the improvements haven't been paid for by the end of the Bears lease, that is on the city. Not that the citizens there will ever hold the government accountable.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I just hope when the Bears finally leave that someone will do a comprehensive review of the costs to "renovate" Soldier Field as well as the insider deals and the lease that the Bears had to sign. After reconstruction it was still a mess in ways that could have been fixed but were not. Without the Bears that stadium upkeep will be a brutal drain on the park districts resources. It is one of the ugliest structures ever constructed. I am no fan of horse racing but spent some time at that Arlington Park track and it was a spectacular facility in its own right and not that old.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Stadiums are seldom, if ever, built without massive subsidies. The data I've read shows they don't have a broad economic impact and are not a good use of public funds. If a team wants to self finance new construction I'm all for it. In this case the Bears bought the land but stated they can't move forward without government assistance.

Politicians can't resist the prestige of a pro team and havening something to thump their chest over at election time even if they know it's a loosing proposition.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Stadiums are seldom, if ever, built without massive subsidies. The data I've read shows they don't have a broad economic impact and are not a good use of public funds. If a team wants to self finance new construction I'm all for it. In this case the Bears bought the land but stated they can't move forward without government assistance.

Politicians can't resist the prestige of a pro team and havening something to thump their chest over at election time even if they know it's a loosing proposition.
    My son did a research paper in an economics class on this subject. You’re right. The promised ROI never materializes. At best it’s a wash.

A lot of stadiums are developed with private money. LA’s new stadium was. But in smaller markets teams can’t go it alone like that. They need subsidies. Indy for example. I just read that it is the most subsidized stadium of all the NFL teams.

Chicago is a large enough market and they should be able to swing it. But they say they can’t. I don’t know about their finances but I think if they wanted to get it done with private money, they could. Probably just easier to panhandle at city hall and the statehouse.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    While they may STILL be paying off the renovations I am sure ALL the politicians were fully paid. It is Chicago after all and the politicians in that S…Hole city know how to get their “fair share”.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    How many people who buy an existing home or build a new one wouldn't like a tax break from their local government?
    All your told that each year you need to pony up more $$$$.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My son did a research paper in an economics class on this subject. You’re right. The promised ROI never materializes. At best it’s a wash.
    Can we agree that there are things that cannot be quantified in a research paper?

Indiana is one of the most solvent states in the country. Since the Colts arrival the growth in central Indiana has been nationally recognized for decades, not saying the Colts are responsible for that growth but Indy is in a pack if 35 cities with population of 500k to 1 million and after the larger cities get theirs there just are not enough teams to go around.

Perception is one of those unmeasurables. That we hosted a SB, something folks still talk about, adds to our persona as an area. In the city competition for business relocation and retention an NFL team is huge.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Can we agree that there are things that cannot be quantified in a research paper?

Indiana is one of the most solvent states in the country. Since the Colts arrival the growth in central Indiana has been nationally recognized for decades, not saying the Colts are responsible for that growth but Indy is in a pack if 35 cities with population of 500k to 1 million and after the larger cities get theirs there just are not enough teams to go around.

Perception is one of those unmeasurables. That we hosted a SB, something folks still talk about, adds to our persona as an area. In the city competition for business relocation and retention an NFL team is huge.
    I'd say it is overrated having to have an NFL team.

San Antonio has almost 1.5m people and does fine without one.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The city should not allow them to use the name Chicago in their description of the team And put the sports broadcasters and the nfl on notice that any use of Chicago in their broadcasts will result in a lawsuit.

Top Bottom