Chevrolet unveils its biggest, most powerful V8 engine.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Hyd roller is not letting it sing.
    Full mechanical valve train and assorted other mods and Chickens numbers are attainable. It would push the power band north of 6600. Parts are stressed more. Longevity is compromised.
    Yeah, that why I suspect it more for longevity than just straight up HP. It still turns 7k though. It is pretty impressive for a GM crate motor, but damn that price point,but it is allegedly all forged internals.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That’s what I thought but not sure. I am wondering if that is what’s in the no prep cars Kye and Lizzy are running. Lizzy has a brand new car and it’s a beast. Kye is up front most time.
    965 cu. in...ish with like 5 kits of nitrous. They 60ft @ .99? Sec. And are running out the door at the 1/8th in the 200+ mph range in probably 3.8-3.9 seconds

I saw a time slip yesterday from Murder Nova where he finally ran a 200 mph with a 1.00 sec 60ft time

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    965 cu. in...ish with like 5 kits of nitrous. They 60ft @ .99? Sec. And are running out the door at the 1/8th in the 200+ mph range in probably 3.8-3.9 seconds

I saw a time slip yesterday from Murder Nova where he finally ran a 200 mph with a 1.00 sec 60ft time
    Surely that's a prepped surface right? If not that's impressive, actually it's impressive no matter what.

1 sec. 60' has to be an amazing feeling

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am wondering as to the absence of Big Chief in the NPK series.

Murder Nova has been on a roll of late. He has that combo on track.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am wondering as to the absence of Big Chief in the NPK series.

Murder Nova has been on a roll of late. He has that combo on track.
    Big Chief claims he doesn't want to play the games and that his focus is just on street racing.

Murder Nova has been on a roll. I speculate Ryan Martin has been helping him figure out the tuning stuff. But they've pretty much all got cars specifically built for no prep track racing and their "street" cars for the street.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Big Chief claims he doesn't want to play the games and that his focus is just on street racing.

Murder Nova has been on a roll. I speculate Ryan Martin has been helping him figure out the tuning stuff. But they've pretty much all got cars specifically built for no prep track racing and their "street" cars for the street.
    I can see chief standing back. That is a grueling schedule. I can only imagine the funding it takes to make every show and run hard with spare parts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can see chief standing back. That is a grueling schedule. I can only imagine the funding it takes to make every show and run hard with spare parts.
    Yeah man. That's a very tough schedule and I would think they all have to pay their crews. No way that many people can take off work to travel that much. I can't imagine how much money they are spending to put on a show. I don't know how it all works, but surely Discovery has to be paying x amount per show.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I watched an interview with murder nova on YT a bit back. His "street" car has a 60/40 weight bias, to the rear. The motor is Waayy back in the chassis. His no-prep car was set up really different as a 60% bias on the track meant the front wheels were never on the ground. Let me see if I can find it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I watched an interview with murder nova on YT a bit back. His "street" car has a 60/40 weight bias, to the rear. The motor is Waayy back in the chassis. His no-prep car was set up really different as a 60% bias on the track meant the front wheels were never on the ground. Let me see if I can find it.
    We don't do the no prep stuff. But our car is set up very close to 60/40 weight bias with it being nose heavy. On the prepped surfaces we run on having more weight on the nose helps keep the front end down and also helps with wheel speed. On a big tire car you have to balance the bite and wheel speed to keep the tire as round as possible. When you dead hook and wad up the rear tire it makes the chassis react slower and sometimes makes it easier to drive into tire shake.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We don't do the no prep stuff. But our car is set up very close to 60/40 weight bias with it being nose heavy. On the prepped surfaces we run on having more weight on the nose helps keep the front end down and also helps with wheel speed. On a big tire car you have to balance the bite and wheel speed to keep the tire as round as possible. When you dead hook and wad up the rear tire it makes the chassis react slower and sometimes makes it easier to drive into tire shake.
    Not dealing with that level of power but when we finished/tested my 69 Camaro we were having the same issues sans the tire shake. I ended up scaling the car and adding weight to the rear. It is a balancing act and we had to step up on the rear shocks. The car would launch, the rears would jump off the ground and the car would launch again. Had to slow motion a video to catch it. A serious set of rear shocks and some tinkering with launch RPM/tire pressure and settings got us on track. Also setting the distance the front "A"s travelled down to before they picked up the tires and applied that weight was key.
    All that on a 9 flat car. I can see where they struggle with Mega power/tire size/no prep.

If it was easy anybody could do it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This thread has brought back a lot of memory's of us chasing our cars (2 of them) to be decent bracket cars. Consistency being the key. 69 was a back half car we built on a churchmouse budget as we were doing 2 cars self funded.
    Rear was a ladder bar set up so that was a detriment as they are a bit more violent than a 4 bar. Narrowed 9" with Strange engineering guts. 14W32's was about all we could get under it.
    If you look at the slicks in the pick it took us a bit to achieve that amount of bite and get the car to leave like that about every time unless the track just sucked. Even then we could manipulate it to be consistent.

I loved this car. It was a hoot to drive and fun to watch. The pic was our finals winning pass at that race. We won with both cars that day. Winning aint that easy peoples.

qTOWv0V.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not dealing with that level of power but when we finished/tested my 69 Camaro we were having the same issues sans the tire shake. I ended up scaling the car and adding weight to the rear. It is a balancing act and we had to step up on the rear shocks. The car would launch, the rears would jump off the ground and the car would launch again. Had to slow motion a video to catch it. A serious set of rear shocks and some tinkering with launch RPM/tire pressure and settings got us on track. Also setting the distance the front "A"s travelled down to before they picked up the tires and applied that weight was key.
    All that on a 9 flat car. I can see where they struggle with Mega power/tire size/no prep.

If it was easy anybody could do it.

Wow that sounds something like trying to ride a bucking bronc.

Like I said I'm certain the vast majority of those guys have traction control probably from Davis Technologies. We looked into it but their systems started out at 10k and we just can't justify that kind of cost and then you have to make a ton of test runs so the system can basically self learn how to control the power to the wheels. The available technology is mind boggling for sure

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This thread has brought back a lot of memory's of us chasing our cars (2 of them) to be decent bracket cars. Consistency being the key. 69 was a back half car we built on a churchmouse budget as we were doing 2 cars self funded.
    Rear was a ladder bar set up so that was a detriment as they are a bit more violent than a 4 bar. Narrowed 9" with Strange engineering guts. 14W32's was about all we could get under it.
    If you look at the slicks in the pick it took us a bit to achieve that amount of bite and get the car to leave like that about every time unless the track just sucked. Even then we could manipulate it to be consistent.

I loved this car. It was a hoot to drive and fun to watch. The pic was our finals winning pass at that race. We won with both cars that day. Winning aint that easy peoples.

qTOWv0V.jpg

She was definitely hooking that day. I know several people who have had those Camero's and it kind of seems like 14wx32 tire is all that can be stuffed under them without modifying the quarter panels.
    When we first built the T-bird we ran 16.5wx33's and stuck with those for several years. Back then it was a 4 link back half car. For the first couple years we absolutely fought trying to make that car go straight. It would pick up the front tires, roll rotate the right rear hard and drive to the left. First, chassis guys thought the diagonal link was flexing so we went to a wish bone. Then we found out the anti roll bar that had been installed wasn't near strong enough so we upgraded that but nothing seemed to help. One day we were at the track and my uncle and I (co crew chiefs) had a meeting of the minds without input from dad (driver) and decided that we had done everything all the fast guys/ chassis guys recommended. So we went back to what we had known and that was circle track technology. We cranked some wedge in the right rear and lowered the left front and it instantly went straight down the track. Had some peculiar looks from people in the staging lanes since the wedge we put in it was very visible but it worked.
    We finally figured out that when we had the chassis built it wasn't set up to handle the amount of power (about 1400 hp on spray) we threw at it. It had been built as more of a "street car". Back then we had never drag raced other than some street racing when dad was young and a little I did before I got married. Dad's first full pass went like 9.75 on motor only. Man it has snowballed into so much more than we ever planned way back then.

Now you pretty much have to step up to the plate and hit a home run to be competitive since they have opened the rules so much. Rules now are.. Factory roof, quarter panels and vin tag and no billet heads, no minimum weights or anything more than run whatchya brung.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom