• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I was in my reloading room today looking for a scope mount, I glanced on one of the shelves and seen this...
    There were 4 cans all next to each other. One of them rusted all the way through, the rest were fine.
    I THINK that the cans touching is what caused the corrosion. I have a dehumidifier down there so moisture shouldn't have been an issue. I haven't looked on that shelf for almost a year.
    I have no issue at all using old powder as long as it smells good. This was from 1979, if you've never used old powder, you probably haven't been reloading very long.
    Just a reminder to check your supplies, I hated to throw this away but, it did make a pretty flash when I burnt it.
    20211215_163236.jpg 20211215_163708.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’ve seen this before. It comes from the powder breaking down and the gas it produces is acidic. It eats the cans from inside out. Apparently it also happens with the old paper cans and they can actually burst into flames!

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I'm gonna guess you don't go thru alot of powder....lol
    I think this was for a magnum rifle I no longer have. But, you are correct, I have not been using much of any lately.
    I’ve seen this before. It comes from the powder breaking down and the gas it produces is acidic. It eats the cans from inside out. Apparently it also happens with the old paper cans and they can actually burst into flames!
    I thought maybe some kind of chemical reaction. Glad I don't have any paper cans.
    I feel that for the most part, old powders are fine to use. Just always inspect before use (and occasionally when not in use).

Top Bottom