• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    And yet this place and others is glad to take their advertising dollar. Think about that and the morals of those who accept those dollars.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And yet this place and others is glad to take their advertising dollar. Think about that and the morals of those who accept those dollars.

I'd bet the ads on this site are from Google Adsense. Few websites seek out direct advertising these days. You let Google place the ads, which they do based on your search patterns and the type of site, and then Google pays the site owner.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd bet the ads on this site are from Google Adsense. Few websites seek out direct advertising these days. You let Google place the ads, which they do based on your search patterns and the type of site, and then Google pays the site owner.

We don't use AdSense. We actually contract with an advertising company. I know that we have some say in which ads are shown, but I'm not sure how much say. It's entirely possible that we can't turn off a particular advertiser due to contractual obligations.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Exactly, this has been discussed because of CTD before.

As far as them putting the screws to their customer base goes. I don't think it's a very wise long term strategy for a business plan. Many years ago I would buy so much ammo through CTD that I was on a VIP list (so they say), and now I'll never buy from them again. I think they're burning their bridges with the people who got them where they are today.

If people want to buy from CTD, then I'm not going to get in their way. I think a year or two from now we'll look back at CTD as an interesting case study to see what happens when a company puts the screws to its customer base.

Maybe they're just trying to pay for all their advertising on Glen Beck?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Exactly, this has been discussed because of CTD before.

As far as them putting the screws to their customer base goes. I don't think it's a very wise long term strategy for a business plan. Many years ago I would buy so much ammo through CTD that I was on a VIP list (so they say), and now I'll never buy from them again. I think they're burning their bridges with the people who got them where they are today.

If people want to buy from CTD, then I'm not going to get in their way. I think a year or two from now we'll look back at CTD as an interesting case study to see what happens when a company puts the screws to its customer base.

Maybe they're just trying to pay for all their advertising on Glen Beck?

Except there was this much furor after the 2008 election when CTD pulled the same crap, and now five years later they seem to still be in business and doing fine.

A very small minority of us stopped buying from them then and haven't since, but it doesn't seem to to have hurt their sales, and a lot of folks who swore they'd never buy there again started buying again a year or two after the last time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Except there was this much furor after the 2008 election when CTD pulled the same crap, and now five years later they seem to still be in business and doing fine.

A very small minority of us stopped buying from them then and haven't since, but it doesn't seem to to have hurt their sales, and a lot of folks who swore they'd never buy there again started buying again a year or two after the last time.

As much as it may disgust me to say then, what they're doing is probably just good business then. If they live through this and survive and thrive because of it, then they were smart and good for them. If they crash and burn because of how they've treated people then that's theirs to own as well. Time will tell and you're right about the last election panic pricing they, but I don't remember them getting this bad back in '08.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    I saw the post about their price on the Colt in the Get your Ammo Here thread, so I went there earlier this morning and saw all of their selection. Just shook my head and went back to work.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As much as it may disgust me to say then, what they're doing is probably just good business then. If they live through this and survive and thrive because of it, then they were smart and good for them. If they crash and burn because of how they've treated people then that's theirs to own as well. Time will tell and you're right about the last election panic pricing they, but I don't remember them getting this bad back in '08.

You only need a small marketshare of a large market to succeed. They can **** off 5 shooters for every one sale they make at their prices and still succeed. In this way it probably is good business for them. Volume sales cost money to handle inventory, so if they can get away with 300-400% markup at a lower volume then their costs are much less for the same gross sales, leading to more profit.

Meanwhile, us savvy shooters laugh at the uninformed newbs who gush on about how great CTD is :D

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Most people have short memories. As soon as they see a good price from CTD, they'll go back to buying from them. And there are new gun owners being added to our ranks every day. As things return to normal, they won't have a beef with CTD. Just my 2¢...

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    all they have to do is follow the Wal*Mart plan. If things get too bad, just lower prices, people will beat a path to your door. All will be forgiven as long as you think you are saving money.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You only need a small marketshare of a large market to succeed. They can **** off 5 shooters for every one sale they make at their prices and still succeed. In this way it probably is good business for them. Volume sales cost money to handle inventory, so if they can get away with 300-400% markup at a lower volume then their costs are much less for the same gross sales, leading to more profit.

Meanwhile, us savvy shooters laugh at the uninformed newbs who gush on about how great CTD is :D

Comes back to that old saying that a fool and his money will quickly be parted. The new guys to guns will learn their lessons about CTD too. They'll learn the hard way like lots of us have already, but will there be enough noobs to keep CTD in business.... probably. For me, I'm on a Palmetto State Armory bandwagon right now and it's treating me very well.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I saw the post about their price on the Colt in the Get your Ammo Here thread, so I went there earlier this morning and saw all of their selection. Just shook my head and went back to work.

A guy here at work told me that they had 22 ammo so I went looking. He got a good laugh at my expense I am sure that is why I posted it more for entertainment than anything.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Most people have short memories. As soon as they see a good price from CTD, they'll go back to buying from them. And there are new gun owners being added to our ranks every day. As things return to normal, they won't have a beef with CTD. Just my 2¢...

Unfortunately you speak the truth for most I will pay more at a honest supplier than to support someone that gouges. I have not bought from CTD since the 2008 deal Midway and Brownell's are glad to have me as a customer.

Top Bottom