• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I have purchased a few different items with varied prices and I do not really see huge differences quality. Maybe I am just missing some features? For Example: When I look at a red dot site from Amazon for under 100 bucks compared to a 700 reflex in a similar style, is there really 600 dollars worth of difference? I feel as though gun accessories are needlessly expensive at times and the cheaper option is normally demonized for no reason other than it is inexpensive. I understand the materials may not be as high quality as the high end stuff, but I work with medical implants and the highest end materials would not drive the price up that drastically. Anyone have any information to shed some light on the subject?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Bought a sig Romeo zero elite because I wanted a cheap version of a Holosun 507k with dual reticles. Battery lasted only 2 weeks carrying it. Sig said it was working as it should and to get 2000 hours of battery life I had to use the dot only on the lowest brightness. Really! So after spending $175 on it I went out and got a $300 Holosun. 6 months of carry and still on factory battery.

But they look similar and have similar reticles!

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have seen made in china red dot/holographic optics refuse to work in below zero weather. Name brand, china made scopes that lost ability to hold any zero or reticles that fell loose and roll around in the scope tube.

I have seen enough of it that I will not buy cheap stuff.

There is a reason why organizations, military/law enforcement, that rely on equipment in dangerous situations do not use china made products.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    At some point, there is a price point that become absurd. To create a prosthetic knee, it costs us about 400-600$, which includes materials and labor. This knee has some insane tolerances and is top tier material. I can understand where people are coming from with buying quality gear, but is that laser, red dot, scope, or trigger mod really worth 500-900?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At some point, there is a price point that become absurd. To create a prosthetic knee, it costs us about 400-600$, which includes materials and labor. This knee has some insane tolerances and is top tier material. I can understand where people are coming from with buying quality gear, but is that laser, red dot, scope, or trigger mod really worth 500-900?

Well, if you're at the range, and something stops working, it's an inconvenience.

If you are in a real gunfight that determines if you live, are seriously injured, or get to go home, that might be a bit more of an inconvenience.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I needed a cut off tool I was going to use maybe twice in my life. I bought a Menards cheap-o throw away tool. It sucks. You constantly have to tighten the collet that holds the blade on. I'm sure it's lifespan is similar to a fruit fly. It's so light you know the guts inside are made of aluminum and wishes. It's exactly what I need because I have used it exactly twice and my son will throw it away when I die.

Is that your use scenario?

What you are generally paying for with the higher dollar goods is durability and lifespan. Bash it into something, its more likely to survive. How's it do in extreme weather and temps? Battery life? Light gathering and clarity? Ease of use? Do the adjustment screws strip like overripe tomatoes or are they solid and stand up to repeated use? You pay for that.

Mission drives the gear train.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    It cost you guys 400-600 to make a knee. But what does it cost the patient in the end? 10k? I honestly have no clue. But I know the mark up is outrageous.

It doesn’t cost Aimpoint 700 dollars to make their sights but they are the best material and have a proven track record.

I’m sure you can buy a Chinese knee on the black market for 100 bucks. And I’m sure it would work for awhile. But given time and stress it will fail you. Just like the cheaper red dots on Amazon.

If it’s a plinker you’re shooting then a cheaper red dot is fine. I have tons of Sig Romeo 5’s. But when it comes to you’re quality of life/saving you’re life then it’s worth it to spend the extra money.

green46105

Gun enthusiast, gun collector, lover of firearms
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    I think you are correct to a point. i believe there is a huge mark up on the more expensive stuff. but that being said the more expensive stuff has been there and done that where the cheaper stuff hasnt usually because they are a start up. now that being said some of them still remain inexpensive after they gain a good reputation but i dont think i would trust my life to a start up and your red dot fall off your gun in the middle of a gun fight. but there again buy a cheaper one and try it out prove it before you rely on it for life and death. the only thing you do is make the more expensive one more expensive when you pay for the cheap one first then buy the better one.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I needed a cut off tool I was going to use maybe twice in my life. I bought a Menards cheap-o throw away tool. It sucks. You constantly have to tighten the collet that holds the blade on. I'm sure it's lifespan is similar to a fruit fly. It's so light you know the guts inside are made of aluminum and wishes. It's exactly what I need because I have used it exactly twice and my son will throw it away when I die.

What you are generally paying for with the higher dollar goods is durability and lifespan. Bash it into something, its more likely to survive. How's it do in extreme weather and temps? Battery life? Light gathering and clarity? Ease of use? Do the adjustment screws strip like overripe tomatoes or are they solid and stand up to repeated use? You pay for that.

Mission drives the gear train.
    Should have called me, I have one you could borrow :thumbsup:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When I wasn't sure if I wanted a red dot (never used one) I bought the cheapest.

It was enough to make me realize that I liked them. and wanted another.
    I took it to the range half a dozen (or less) times, and then EVERY TIME I shot the gun, the optic shut off, and I'd have to power it up again.
    This was on a .22 LR. So, not much kick.

Checked to make sure the battery was seated okay, and not loose.

So, next time, I bought better.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    In my experience. If it is equipment you will use a lot, the cost of the cheap one is as follows:

Cheap one = the price of the cheap one + the price of the one you should have bought in the first place.

Because when the cheap one proves itself to be insufficient, it will be necessary to buy the good one too.

Top Bottom