• ...and so much more!
  • Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    So if you felt lIke could no longer stay in principle would you make a change? Just asking for a friend.

Yes I would and I have, twice. Both times were based on logic and my sense of having my job threatened continuously by someone only seeking to advance themselves at any cost!
    Both were long and painful experiences for many reasons but my sanity and adhering to my principles was critically important.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Yes. I did on more that one occasion. But I had a marketable skill (instrumentation/electrical) and always had my next job set up before telling them to eat a bag of d**ks .
    Indeed, I am on the fence about Moving it would be State position, a bump in pay grade, perhaps a little less politically charged environment etc.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yes I would and I have, twice. Both times were based on logic and my sense of having my job threatened continuously by someone only seeking to advance themselves at any cost!
    Both were long and painful experiences for many reasons but my sanity and adhering to my principles was critically important.
    My job is very secure, however i think there comes a time when you decide you can not effect a change and we’ll if you do not stay true to your principles there really is little else.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes. I’ve left two good paying jobs. There comes a time when the stress just isn’t worth it. I ended up in a job that I’m very comfortable with, and it pays better than the ones I left.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I left a job last year that I hated every day of the 6 years I was there, they were closing the plant down, and offering a 5K "stay on" bonus, thankfully God answered my prayers and I started a job I love back in November....Yes I lost a bonus, but my wife gained a husband who didn't bi&ch about a suck a%$ job everyday...... Win...win...win....

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A story too long to tell here, but over many years there is only one "employee review" that I remember and meant much.

Boss asked me, "If you had to go out and do something for yourself tomorrow, could you do it?"

I must have had the "I'm getting fired" look in my eyes because he said, "You're not getting fired....but have you ever thought about what you would do if this company was not here tomorrow or if your wife was seriously Ill or some other thing you never planned on happened and you could not work here?"

He then asked, "Are you building a balance sheet of skills so that you could stand on your own if you had to? Or if you wanted to?"

Changed my entire paradigm.

I doubt many discussions like that take place these days...and that is truly unfortunate. Most reviews, I suspect, are around what the company needs folks to do for the company...and that is fair.

I was blessed to have met a guy that had a broader view...and it made all the difference.

Decades later, I still keep in touch with that guy.

Many companies today want to assign a "mentor".... good luck with that.

Use your God given talents to take care of what is most important...the rest is detail which will work out in the long run.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have kinda carped on here about not having a job but I am glad they put me out on disability / retirement (haven't decided which one I will opt for yet)
    They have the "we are bigger than your state law about guns in your car crap." I was ready to tangle with HR about it.
    I hate the funky smell in that place.
    I hate driving close to 40 minutes one way to get to work especially with the current gas prices.
    I really didn't like any jobs in the place except being back on my tools as a millwright (32 + years on the job) but the company chose for me to put me out because they didn't have a production job for my permanent restrictions. If I can't work production, there is no way in hell they are going to let me be on my tools. Screw 'em. I'll go work somewhere else if I take regular retirement. Can't do that if I go on disability. I can be a volunteer, mentor, etc I just can't make any money that they know about.
    I feel for anyone where your core is melting because that the job is killing you from inside. I've been there myself but it was interpersonal conflict with other Richard Craniums wanting to not do quality work but wanted to rush thru crap to get more ass time.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have kinda carped on here about not having a job but I am glad they put me out on disability / retirement (haven't decided which one I will opt for yet)
    They have the "we are bigger than your state law about guns in your car crap." I was ready to tangle with HR about it.
    I hate the funky smell in that place.
    I hate driving close to 40 minutes one way to get to work especially with the current gas prices.
    I really didn't like any jobs in the place except being back on my tools as a millwright (32 + years on the job) but the company chose for me to put me out because they didn't have a production job for my permanent restrictions. If I can't work production, there is no way in hell they are going to let me be on my tools. Screw 'em. I'll go work somewhere else if I take regular retirement. Can't do that if I go on disability. I can be a volunteer, mentor, etc I just can't make any money that they know about.
    I feel for anyone where your core is melting because that the job is killing you from inside. I've been there myself but it was interpersonal conflict with other Richard Craniums wanting to not do quality work but wanted to rush thru crap to get more ass time.
    Is that Marion Stamping?

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Scary to do, but high chance of being worth the trouble. I did not too long ago, and am having a blast at the new place — took a pay cut, but am happier, with better growth opportunities.

I use the metric of money/BS ratio: how much you get paid vs how much crap you have to put up with. Some jobs don’t pay too much, but are fun and leave you time for personal hobbies; some jobs have a ton of BS, but compensate in salary.
    When the ratio flips it’s time to leave and find another job, where the ratio is good.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a chainsaw and a truck. I have a ZTR blower weed whip and a trailer. I have a trade and skills. I have my own tools And a tool storage box. I stay active and busy 6 days a week nearly year round.

When they ever say anything to me about work or gettting let go i seem to answer back with “ I can use a pay raise left me go ! “ seems to either calm them or make them nervous. Most likely they just think i am an ass but I am ok with that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been fortunate in my life to have good health, family and my basic needs met.

My "thorn" has been jobs. I take a job with the intent to stay there until I retire. But companies have other plans; they get sold, they shutdown, they eliminate my job, etc.

When I look back at all the companies I have worked for, they have all been pretty good jobs but in the end making a change moved me up the income ladder faster than if I had stayed put. Plus, I have gained a variety of skills by changing jobs and industries. I'd say it even kept me more energized.

The company I'm with now was supposed to be my "last" "job". I had planned on retiring from it. It was a great company with great people and a culture that I could embrace. Then our leader died suddenly and since then, the company is a shell of what it was the last 8 years. Will I leave? Maybe. It just depends on what's out there. I'd like to stay here another 6-8 years and ride off into that sunset.

We will see.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    A story too long to tell here, but over many years there is only one "employee review" that I remember and meant much.

Boss asked me, "If you had to go out and do something for yourself tomorrow, could you do it?"

I must have had the "I'm getting fired" look in my eyes because he said, "You're not getting fired....but have you ever thought about what you would do if this company was not here tomorrow or if your wife was seriously Ill or some other thing you never planned on happened and you could not work here?"

He then asked, "Are you building a balance sheet of skills so that you could stand on your own if you had to? Or if you wanted to?"

Changed my entire paradigm.

I doubt many discussions like that take place these days...and that is truly unfortunate. Most reviews, I suspect, are around what the company needs folks to do for the company...and that is fair.

I was blessed to have met a guy that had a broader view...and it made all the difference.

Decades later, I still keep in touch with that guy.

Many companies today want to assign a "mentor".... good luck with that.

Use your God given talents to take care of what is most important...the rest is detail which will work out in the long run.

Very true.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have been fortunate in my life to have good health, family and my basic needs met.

My "thorn" has been jobs. I take a job with the intent to stay there until I retire. But companies have other plans; they get sold, they shutdown, they eliminate my job, etc.

When I look back at all the companies I have worked for, they have all been pretty good jobs but in the end making a change moved me up the income ladder faster than if I had stayed put. Plus, I have gained a variety of skills by changing jobs and industries. I'd say it even kept me more energized.

The company I'm with now was supposed to be my "last" "job". I had planned on retiring from it. It was a great company with great people and a culture that I could embrace. Then our leader died suddenly and since then, the company is a shell of what it was the last 8 years. Will I leave? Maybe. It just depends on what's out there. I'd like to stay here another 6-8 years and ride off into that sunset.

We will see.
    Yes I think in the private sector that is very true.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Can't count the number of jobs I've had. I'm procrastinating on looking right now.

With 20%+ real inflation you just can't sit around and wait for your employer to give you massive raises out of the kindness of their hearts.

Top Bottom