• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am a left hander so holsters are always harder to find.

I prefer black because I believe it stands out less.

I can buy a LH tan holster for $81. I can order a custom LH black holster for 159$. I would like this holster for 3 different guns.

Other than being cheap, I can afford the $159 but that means to stay in budget I can only order 1/month.

If I can change the holster color on my own, I could order 2 :) Thought perhaps a little sanding etc.

Is there a way to turn a tan holster to black without completely ruining the holster? I wouldn't care about the edges or body side of the holster too much, but would definitely want to do the side facing outwards.

Thanks in advance for any good info!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    leather dye is available at any leather shop/boot store. You can dye them yourself (easy, I’ve done several) or you can pay them a few bucks to do it for you

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    leather dye is available at any leather shop/boot store. You can dye them yourself (easy, I’ve done several) or you can pay them a few bucks to do it for you
    Do you need to sand off the previous dye?

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    There is a clear solvent that is used to clean the leather. It can remove much if the sealer. Then you apply the black dye, usually 2 or 3 coats, letting it dry thoroughly between coats. Last, apply a sealer. Done it many times. 1 bottle of each should do 3 holsters.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Depending on the finish you may be able to just dye and seal it. I've died bianchi holsters with no prep work before. I've also done a few refurbs on vintage holsters where I stripped the remaining finish with a Mr clean magic eraser. I use the magic erasers to remove any marks on bare leather too, their handy to keep around if you use a lot of leather.

Top Bottom