• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    How often do you guys change out your wife’s spray? If ever, mine (wife) works in a GFZ. Hope some LEO’s may know an answer. I get the best I can, and usually get her a new one for X-mas. But if it’s a waist let me know. Please. And thank you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I carry OC spray and try to replace it every two years or so. It's cheap peace of mind.

My guess is that replacing annually is overkill, but it's not like it's super expensive.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Sabre products have an expiration date on the canister.
    POM units also do - although you have to remove the canister from the outer plastic cover to find it.
    In the absence of a date on the canister, every year or two is a good idea.
    Use expired canisters for practice.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thanks folks, I’ll look when she gets home. She keeps it in her purse. Never noticed a date before, but I usually have her practice with the old one when she gets new. But I’ve never looked either. Again thanks.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The above said, even though most reputable manufacturers put a 2 to 4 year shelf-life on their OC spray products, I try change out my canisters well before the printed expiration date. Four years seems crazy long to me, and it's too cheap not to do otherwise.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wife already took off, don’t know the brand name of hers. I buy it at a LGS that is/was owned by a cop, does a lot of cop business, I can look at it again for the name. I’m guessing that LEO,s get theirs from supply sargent.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wife already took off, don’t know the brand name of hers. I buy it at a LGS that is/was owned by a cop, does a lot of cop business, I can look at it again for the name. I’m guessing that LEO,s get theirs from supply sargent.
    I'd appreciate that.

Reactions: Mij

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I rotate ours out every year on my birthday. I use the expired cans for practice or demos. My MIL wanted some so we shot some so she knew how to aim but more importantly how important it is to be aware of your surroundings and the direction of the wind you don't get that with the insert cans. I've never used pom I'll have to look into them everyone I know uses sabre red.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, wife’s is also Saber red gel, exp. 9-2024. Think I like the dye and it’s a gel.

Probably get a new one anyway as said it’s not expensive and a good stocking stuffer.

Thanks folks

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    OK, wife’s is also Saber red gel, exp. 9-2024. Think I like the dye and it’s a gel.

Probably get a new one anyway as said it’s not expensive and a good stocking stuffer.

Thanks folks
    Just be aware the gel tends to take longer to take effect and have an impact. It's thicker so it doesn't get into the eyes and nose as easily as the spray.

I'm personally not a fan, but my real world experience with being spray or spraying others is pretty limited, so my opinion is worth about what you paid for it.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just be aware the gel tends to take longer to take effect and have an impact. It's thicker so it doesn't get into the eyes and nose as easily as the spray.

I'm personally not a fan, but my real world experience with being spray or spraying others is pretty limited, so my opinion is worth about what you paid for it.
    OK, I don’t have any experience or knowledge of the sprays or jell for that matter. But I do want my wife to have the best chance of defense she can have. Your thoughts give me something to consider, thanks. Guess I was thinking the jell would adhere, smear and dye the bad guy. Sure wish she could carry, just not an option. I think their are a couple bills coming up, possibly introduced, maybe a change in laws. That would work for me.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe

Maybe not a totally crazy idea testing it on oneself, at least once?
    Funny story: I’m in the driveway cleaning out the car, all doors open, two of my kids are crawling in and out of it. Then they start a game spraying each other with something. I take it out of their hands — and fudge, it’s the pepper spray from the armrest! They have it all over themselves, but no screaming. So I spray it on my finger, touch it to the tip of my tongue — nothing, maybe the lightest of tingles, like “mild” Thai curry.

Next day I walk into the LGS that sold it to me. Take out the can, spray it in my mouth, smile. When the owner regains his speech, refund, pulls the spray off his shelf.

blain

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Maybe not a totally crazy idea testing it on oneself, at least once?
    Funny story: I’m in the driveway cleaning out the car, all doors open, two of my kids are crawling in and out of it. Then they start a game spraying each other with something. I take it out of their hands — and fudge, it’s the pepper spray from the armrest! They have it all over themselves, but no screaming. So I spray it on my finger, touch it to the tip of my tongue — nothing, maybe the lightest of tingles, like “mild” Thai curry.

Next day I walk into the LGS that sold it to me. Take out the can, spray it in my mouth, smile. When the owner regains his speech, refund, pulls the spray off his shelf.
    Is the brand out of business?

My wife is terrible about thinking defensively. Got a couple .68oz & 2oz cans and a 3oz.
    You guys got me curious about dates. Wow, items are now added to my shopping list.

Since my wife is such an inside-the-box thinker, I'm going to forgo any larger cans and opt for multiple smaller ones spread around the house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Columbia City, IN
    I’ve seen some really great advice above! A little more background for the curious:

Pepper spray is typically delivered in 1 of 3 ways. As a fog, gel, or stream.

All work. All have pros and cons. For the most part I recommend streams (specifically POM although saber red is also good—i just like the pom dispenser better)

Why?
    1. In order to work the solvent has to dissipate. The gels take longer to work because it takes longer for the solvent to go away. (This is also why you spray once or twice and stop even though its counter intuitive.)

2. The stream is more “aimable” than fog. Not only that but you are less likely to taste your own spicy treat with a stream vs a fog.

In some context gel and fog may be a better choice but for the typical appropriate use, stream FTW.

We do an OC spray module in our concealed carry concepts class in which you get to try the inert spray and learn more about OC in general.

Www.conditionredresponse.com (look for the schedule menu or “register now” button and click.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I just checked my issued OC can and it was manufactured in 2005. :laugh:
    Well…..hopefully we can get our state legislators to make some changes and get shed of some of these GFZ’s. Seems like (to me) a good all around solution.

Until then looks like I’ll find some POM type for stocking stuffers this year. Have to go to a city to find it though, unless my LGS can order me a single can. We’ll see.

Top Bottom