• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I've been thinking about getting an NRA basic pistol instructor rating. One course being taught in Indy this year is taught by someone named Chad Butts. He lists his business as a private investigator service and has several instructor ratings. I'm not able to find much about his instructor experience. Thoughts?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been thinking about getting an NRA basic pistol instructor rating. One course being taught in Indy this year is taught by someone named Chad Butts. He lists his business as a private investigator service and has several instructor ratings. I'm not able to find much about his instructor experience. Thoughts?
    Is that Seymour’s brother??

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Just after I posted this, I found there is a USCCA instructor course in Lebanon next month. I might go that route instead. I also know nothing about the instructor: Tim Tucker of Tactical Advantage but he has a little more of a bio out there in terms of instructor ratings. He's a martial arts instructor so about 10,000X tougher than I am. He has good ratings on the USCCA page, FWIW.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    He's a martial arts instructor so about 10,000X tougher than I am.
    Yeah, but what kind of martial art? Are we talking a real one like BJJ / Mui Thai / grappling / real Krav Maga... Or are we talking fitness martial arts like Karate, Kung Fu, or Aikido?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah, but what kind of martial art? Are we talking a real one like BJJ / Mui Thai / grappling / real Krav Maga... Or are we talking fitness martial arts like Karate, Kung Fu, or Aikido?
    Don't forget Tai Chi

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    Do you intend to develop your own course or run a course as disgned by thr NRA or USCCA? As an NRA instructor if you intend to run the course as is take the USCCA course. The uscca course lends itself to ccw whereas the basic pistol course is.... not, in my opinion, a ccw course.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Do you intend to develop your own course or run a course as disgned by thr NRA or USCCA? As an NRA instructor if you intend to run the course as is take the USCCA course. The uscca course lends itself to ccw whereas the basic pistol course is.... not, in my opinion, a ccw course.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure if I'll run many courses on my own. Saturdays are the high-demand day for such things, and I'm already always trying to get Saturday off of work to do fun things.

I also don't ever see myself as comparable to some of the good defensive pistol instructors. I just decided it was time to get a rating since I often end up introducing friends and employees to firearms. I might just assist with some courses and then see what happens and what the demand is.

I did end up signing up for the USCCA course for a few reasons. First, the timing and location of the course just happens to work for me next weekend. Second, I do think it's as you said: gets into CCW a little bit which basic NRA does not. Third, while I appreciate all the instruction carried out by NRA instructors I prefer to be arms length from the NRA until LaPierre is gone.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    i've been been in martials arts for a looong time. i've studied karate isshunryu (brown belt), tang so do (red belt), mu duk kwan (brown belt). also kung fu (tong bei and xing yi. i can honestly say that the arts you think are "fitness" martial arts are quite capable of being very painful and or deadly. they are believed to be ineffective because most instructors do not know how to teach actual fighting. mainly because they haven't been tested in real combat. i was taught by instructors who really understood the fighting applications of their arts. i personally wotnessed a tai chi guy totally decimate 4 attackers on a street corner in the bronx with his "fitness" art. i've also had my clock cleaned by a boxer. it is not the art that wins the fight, it is the artist.

Top Bottom