• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I may relax my protocol a bit. kind of funny Guy at Best Buy tells my wife we may not have time to transfer his phone data we only have 30 minutes before we close. Wife tells him I think we will be ok he reluctantly starts to transfer the user data, done in less than 5 minutes lol.

Google and Samsung does all that for me. Data all lives in the cloud.

I get a new phone. Plug in my SIM card. Log in and let the magic happen.

I have no idea how Apple's system works. They are anti-gun and will never see my money.

blain

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I'm being backed into a corner with all this 2 factor authentication. I can't even access my paypal account until I tether a phone to it. I can still use paypal to buy from vendors, but can't log in to my account. There are some other things that require it, but I've worked around so far.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a semi-dumb phone. Something like a CAT S22 flip. It's not full on smart phone but offers calls/text, a camera, some browsing via smaller touch screen all in a rugged flip housing.
    It's T-mobile only, so I'm still researching that network works best in my area (Evansville).

I hate the idea of being tethered to a device.
    :runaway: Wouldn't life be easier if we could just get an ID implant in our right hand or forehead?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Verizon told me the 3G is going away and I have to get a new phone. :(

I've kinda enjoyed having my dumb flip phone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Phones calls, texts, e-mail very occasionally, Solitaire while on the can, checking prices between Menards and Home Depot.

- and when I'm in the truck, thanks to Android Auto, GPS and audio books.

That's pretty much it.

A rough calculation of how much I have spent on my cell phones themselves since 2003- under $250. For service, I spend under $200 a year and up until about 2020, it was under $100.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm being backed into a corner with all this 2 factor authentication. I can't even access my paypal account until I tether a phone to it. I can still use paypal to buy from vendors, but can't log in to my account. There are some other things that require it, but I've worked around so far.
    2FA is your friend. It's the best defense you have against bad guys who manage to buy/steal passwords in bulk. The 2FA codes are generated by a seed and time calculation. You can back them up and have them available on multiple devices. Either save the QR codes when you enroll a device or use one of the authenticator apps that allows you to backup the codes.

SMS is the least secure 2FA option as attackers will try to steal your phone number by conning the cell providers. If they succeed they'll be able to get through most security hoops because they'll have your phone number. If you use an authenticator app, they still won't have access to those codes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    2FA is your friend. It's the best defense you have against bad guys who manage to buy/steal passwords in bulk. The 2FA codes are generated by a seed and time calculation. You can back them up and have them available on multiple devices. Either save the QR codes when you enroll a device or use one of the authenticator apps that allows you to backup the codes.

SMS is the least secure 2FA option as attackers will try to steal your phone number by conning the cell providers. If they succeed they'll be able to get through most security hoops because they'll have your phone number. If you use an authenticator app, they still won't have access to those codes.
    This. 2FA saved my bacon last week.

I was on a call and suddenly I started getting 2nd factor codes for my paypal account out of the blue. That means they have my username AND password. The only thing that saved my account was that they didnt have the token (code).

I quickly excused myself from the call and immediately changed my password.

Also, as another hedge against attacks, if the institution allows it, create a unique username and do NOT use your email as username. Often times hackers will get an email/password pair and start trying it everywhere. Especially banks. I literally had PNC disable my online banking account and tell me that I had to create a new one using a username because my account had too many attempts over a prolonged period of time.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also, as another hedge against attacks, if the institution allows it, create a unique username and do NOT use your email as username. Often times hackers will get an email/password pair and start trying it everywhere. Especially banks. I literally had PNC disable my online banking account and tell me that I had to create a new one using a username because my account had too many attempts over a prolonged period of time.
    Good advice. If you're a Gmail user, you can take advantage of their unlimited e-mail addresses when you don't have the option for a username:

ingo@gmail.com
    ingo+variation1@gmail.com
    ingo+variation2@gmail.com
    ingo+variation3@gmail.com

All end up in the mailbox for ingo@gmail.com. This is also useful to know what company has sold your e-mail address.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Google and Samsung does all that for me. Data all lives in the cloud.

I get a new phone. Plug in my SIM card. Log in and let the magic happen.

I have no idea how Apple's system works. They are anti-gun and will never see my money.

Unfortunately they are seeing your money via wealth redistribution. Mine is a work phone, thank you I appreciate it.

My personal phone is a Motorola nothing special other than the cartoon size screen lol.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately they are seeing your money via wealth redistribution. Mine is a work phone, thank you I appreciate it.

My personal phone is a Motorola nothing special other than the cartoon size screen lol.
    Why do you need a phone if you have a work phone?

Top Bottom