• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vermilionbird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    Oct 17, 2020
    South Bend
    This is a cautionary review about a northwest Indiana shop whose name rhymes with cryptic booty gunsmithing. I want to make it clear that I get no joy from posting critical reviews about any establishment and this isn't meant to be punitive or retaliatory in nature. It's just that the quality of work I saw worried me and I felt you all deserved to know as you decide how to spend your dollars.

Earlier this year, I dropped off a batch of guns I’d been working on to get refinished - 2 to get parkerized, and 1 to get matte blued. I also wanted the triggers and stainless parts to get bead-blasted. A few weeks later, I came to first pick up the parkerized guns and I saw that only the slides and frames had been refinished (decently, I’ll give them that). None of the small parts had been refinished. The slides and frames of the two guns I wanted parkerized were also mismatched. This wasn’t a particularly easy thing to mix up either - one was a railed 1911 with ball cuts on the slide and the other was a mil-spec style 1911. But most worryingly, the sights on one of the slides were completely trashed.

1BSRuUk.jpg

iAam3aQ.jpg

rIQsxIz.jpg

nCPc6Yx.jpg

fRfguke.jpg

This is not normal. Roll pins should not be JB-welded into place, sights should not be drifted off with steel punches to the point of peening the sights, and destroyed sights should not be expected in the regular course of taking them on or off. When I requested that the small parts be refinished, he agreed. However, when I came back, most of the major small parts had been refinished but none of the pins were refinished and one of the two triggers were not bead-blasted. I don’t understand why the work only keeps getting part-way done.

The blued gun fared no better. Their bluing service was advertised as “traditional salt bluing” and they described their process as being akin to parkerizing. During the wait, the gunsmith called to inform me my grip screws were not taking on a finish because they were “titanium.” These grip screws were blued, carbon steel screws when they went on the gun. When I finally arrived to pick up the gun, I realized what went wrong.

Fu7FUn0.jpg

kS2Ys4r.jpg

cUAuEA4.jpg

Cl8VoRq.jpg

hbwA7NT.jpg

dzKcHMR.jpg

The frame and slide were “blued” with a Birchwood Casey perma-blue kit. All of the major small parts were parkerized and not blued. Once again, none of the pins were refinished. What I wanted blued and parkerized were separated into different bags in different boxes and clearly labeled. I don’t know how I could have made it any easier.

The continuous mistakes just makes me worry that there’s a level of carelessness going on that prioritizes getting work out the door rather than getting it right from start to finish. I’m not going to leave a nasty review on Google or anything but I decided that you all deserve to know. The mistakes - ranging from the ruined sights and wrongly finished parts - have cost me time and money to correct and I'm still not out of the woods just yet. I just hope this is an anomaly and not the norm.

To cap it all off, he tells me the next time I want to embark on any projects, that I should come to him, “a qualified gunsmith”, first...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brother you are far nicer.....by miles than I would haver been. And then to get smarted off to......bail money would be required.

So these ass hats do not own or use a proper site pusher. I own 2 plus many many real brass punches.
    The level of incompetency seen here is leaving me speechless. So much fail.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just hope this is an anomaly and not the norm.
    I'd say that since you dropped off 3 guns and all 3 had issues, that it's not an anomaly. Marring one sight or something? Maybe an anomaly. Messing up all 3 guns? That makes me think it's the norm for them. Sorry you're having to go through with that. I myself wouldn't hesitate to leave them a bad review (maybe even with your pics) on Google or Yelp, wherever it would be likely to be seen.

Like you said, you're not doing it to be vindictive. You're sharing your experience and that could help out other people that might be considering that place for having work done. Either the shop will learn that shoddy work is hurting them and take action to correct it, or their business will suffer (and rightly so).

vermilionbird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    Oct 17, 2020
    South Bend
    160 for most (lol) of the two guns to get parkerized. 120 for the "blued" gun. It could have been much much worse, which is kinda why I chose to just pay and walk away from it.

I was very fortunate that the marred sights didn't cost me too much to replace and everything that's done wrong or unfinished is at Ameriguns up in Detroit getting refinished right now.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    160 for most (lol) of the two guns to get parkerized. 120 for the "blued" gun. It could have been much much worse, which is kinda why I chose to just pay and walk away from it.

I was very fortunate that the marred sights didn't cost me too much to replace and everything that's done wrong or unfinished is at Ameriguns up in Detroit getting refinished right now.
    My restorations start at $500 a piece for bluing. Parkerizing, is about half that cost. Seeing a price that low would have raised cause for concern, from me. But, I am in the industry....

I mean no disrespect. Please don't take it that way.

Now...the sights...there's really no excuse for that.

Best of luck to you.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I had a similar ordeal with a Colt LW Commander in 38 super many years ago. Just the slide needed blued. I did all the finish work and just needed to go in the tank. The last thing I said to the goober was, "Under no circumstances, do not buff anything". After the third "we're having a little trouble". I told them to stop and I'll come get it. You guessed it--buffed and purple. Yes, I about puked on their counter. I still get a little queasy whenever I look at that abomination. Paid the guy and left. It was either that or cold food and bad sex for life---plus a day.

That store is long out of business. It was Shoes Gun Rack.

The lesson there was pay a little more and ask for examples of their work.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe, but , you're not alone.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Sorry for your bad experience, OP. That looks awful.

Places like this really count on reviews and word of mouth. It's your civic duty to put them on blast and leave a one-star review with photos. Maybe the owner will see it and reply, and offer to make things right. Or at least refund your money. If anything else, you'll be helping prevent other gun owners from experiencing the same BS.

Top Bottom