• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, not everyone that puts up a gunsmithing sign is the same. Some are merely tinkerers, some are mechanics, some are skilled enough to make a fine firearm out of a block of steel using nothing but a file. I was told about a guy that was "amazing" and took a $900 shotgun stock to have adjustable cheek piece hardware installed. He boogered it up so bad that by the time he was done, the riser hardware did not even raise it as high as the stock was before he worked on it. He though something was wrong with me because I did not like his "work". The next time, I waited for a man that I had already seen lots of his work, and paid his price, it was cheaper in the long run.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I am slow to critique anyone. What did he say when you pointed these things out? It's one of the reasons I do most of my own smithy work. I do enjoy doing my own work but sometimes I seek better knowledge and tools. A few years ago I took a bulged barrel to a smith to have it cut down to 19" behind the bulge on a Model 11. He charged $60 for a cut and crown. He was neither friendly or unfriendly, just business like if not curt on all our previous transactions for ammo and similar. What he gave back to me was quite obviously ran on a cutoff wheel with less than even mediorce precision. I literally could have done better with a hacksaw. I made it my last transaction with him and recut and recrowned it myself but had to bring it back to 18.5. I probably should have spoke to him directly, but it was such a sophomoric attempt for someone running a store front that I felt he wouldn't be able to handle critique. The market will sort him out. I was both angry and embarrassed on his behalf.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is the businesses name?

I'm from NWI and don't want to accidentally stumble into this place.

Is one of the 3 the pistol the one you were working on in the 1911 thread? @vermilionbird ?
    That project inspired me to do much the same work on one of mine. If that turd crapped on that gun he deserves all that he gets from the negative BT puts up.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Terrible shoddy work. Absolutely terrible.. Who the hell would take pride in putting out something like that and think it was acceptable? I could've done a better job and I'm not even close to being a gunsmith.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    This is why I do everything I can myself (Just got in from welding the exhaust up on my car). Nobody else to blame, nobody to argue with (except maybe a wife upset with the time taken). The reason I don't go into business is because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I wouldn't let something out of my hands that wasn't better than I'd want for myself. and I sure as hell wouldn't let what was done there out of my hands much less charge someone for it.

Top Bottom