• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Cattle are a loooong term investment with a lot of overhead. Especially if you want to be self reliant. Good fencing and water are a must. Something with a loader would be right up there, you will have to have hay and round bales have become the standard and most affordable, hard to move without a loader.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I think every farm kid learns that lesson. Buster was his name, he went to a bigger farm till we learned latter he was for dinner, literary.
    Older I get the harder it is, we are weeks away from fats going to butcher, this group has been a complete joy to feed I’m going to miss them.
    I’ve got a cow, she’s the mom in my avitar she’s 23 and no sign of a calf for 2 years… I’m having a hard time, she has been an awesome cow. Told my son-in-law he might have to haul her. I‘ve thought that she could/should live her life out on the farm but reality is she wouldn’t pass well. She should go out on top.
    Been there, going through it right now. Really up in the air about it. I know what’s right, but can’t bring myself around to it. Keep’n me up nights. 20 yrs. 15 good calves never had a problem with any of’em. Never had to pull one even.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Cattle are a loooong term investment with a lot of overhead. Especially if you want to be self reliant. Good fencing and water are a must. Something with a loader would be right up there, you will have to have hay and round bales have become the standard and most affordable, hard to move without a loader.
    Yep, I can tell you how to get a million dollars raising cattle. First thing you do is——start with three million dollars.
    :lmfao: :facepalm:

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    I recall our primary milk/birthing cow when she finally began to have trouble milking/calving. We kept her far longer than we should - she got rather lean and unhealthy looking despite our best efforts to give her a "retirement". Dad eventually made the call to have her sent to the butcher while she was still relatively healthy and had some meat on her bones. I recall he said basically that it was either that or keep her until she snapped a weak bone or got some kind of illness and then he'd be out there putting a bullet in her head. We still hated to see her go, but it was definitely the best thing.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’m no expert but I have dabbled my advice would be if this is your first animal raising experience start with something less stressful dangerous expensive etc etc

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think every farm kid learns that lesson. Buster was his name, he went to a bigger farm till we learned latter he was for dinner, literary.
    Older I get the harder it is, we are weeks away from fats going to butcher, this group has been a complete joy to feed I’m going to miss them.
    I’ve got a cow, she’s the mom in my avitar she’s 23 and no sign of a calf for 2 years… I’m having a hard time, she has been an awesome cow. Told my son-in-law he might have to haul her. I‘ve thought that she could/should live her life out on the farm but reality is she wouldn’t pass well. She should go out on top.
    Wife has a friend who grew up on a farm, once a year or so one of their cows would "escape" while she was at grandma's for the weekend. Her dad would complain about how he needed to fix the fence. She was in H.S. before she figured it out...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Post your questions here! I'd also like to learn.

My folks have a small herd (12-15 head) of Belted Galloway. They're quite small and mild-mannered. Even the bulls are - as far as bulls are concerned.

Note: If you start cattle farming, you'll not have any time in the shop. It'll all be taken up by feeding and making sure the water is going. And mending fences. And more mending fences.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    ....Of the potatoes and gravy

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

My folks have a small herd (12-15 head) of Belted Galloway. They're quite small and mild-mannered. Even the bulls are - as far as bulls are concerned.

Note: If you start cattle farming, you'll not have any time in the shop. It'll all be taken up by feeding and making sure the water is going. And mending fences. And more mending fences.
    I thought about Belted Galloway, looked at a herd near Jamestown, would have been late 2000‘s but was too old to change. They have some going for them especially in a forage only (I refuse to call them grass fed) program and they look cool.
    Wouldn’t have worked without totally changing stock. I’m really attached to some of them, lol.
    I really like the black baldy, bounce between Hereford, Angus and Simmental.

Defiantly have to become among other things a fence repair master. I highly recommend getting them broke to electric fence. Some of my cows will not even step over wire dead laying on the ground. I’ve been rotational grazing grass and crop ground almost year round with the help of corn stalks and cereal rye.

Last edited:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Don’t forget mending fences!!! Oh ya, ever seen a T post after a 1500 lb. bull thinks it’s a good scratching post?
    :wallbash:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    That’s cool until they want to rough house :nailbite:
    You can bet on that, I don’t care what breed they are or if you raised them from a bottle, never and I mean never turn your back on a bull. I’ve still got the hospital receipts to show.

If not for my German Shepard things could have turned out much worse, my hand was reaching for my gun as I was shaking the cobwebs from my head.

To the op, never pet a bull on the head, it’s not perceived the way you think it is by him. Read then read some more.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    There is an insurance company statistic that shows the numbers for Indiana ranchers that are killed each year by bulls. Like I said, read then read some more. Stories guide to raising cattle is where I’d start. JMO.

Top Bottom