• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I am looking for a cattle farmer who would be willing to let me ask a bunch of questions....

Basically, cattle for dummies...dummies, being me.

Long story short, I have a significant amount of land that once was home to cattle. I am bringing the property back to life, per say, and am interested in POTENTIALLY, POTENTIALLY, putting a couple head of cattle there.

If you have any experience in this field, and be willing to give me some advice, I'd love to chat!

Thanks INGO!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I am looking for a cattle farmer who would be willing to let me ask a bunch of questions....

Long story short, I have a significant amount of land that once was home to cattle. I am bringing the property back to life, per say, and am interested in POTENTIALLY, POTENTIALLY, putting a couple head of cattle there.

If you have any experience in this field, and be willing to give me some advice, I'd love to chat!

Thanks INGO!
    I’ve got a couple running around

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    They’re not pets! Stop naming the cows!!! You understand why I couldn’t raise cattle even if I had the land

That‘s a tough one, around here cows-moms earn a name over time. Cows can live 20+ years that’s a long time to not have some kind of relationship with them. Now the cattle that become steaks are a different story, they remain numbers.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That‘s a tough one, around here cows-moms earn a name over time. Cows can live 20+ years that’s a long time to not have some kind of relationship with them. Now the ones that become steaks are a different story, they remain numbers.
    Yeah, I can definitely understand that. When I was a kid our neighbor raised a couple steers, I definitely made a pet out of one, against my fathers advice. I was one unhappy boy when they took him away.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Yeah, I can definitely understand that. When I was a kid our neighbor raised a couple steers, I definitely made a pet out of one, against my fathers advice. I was one unhappy boy when they took him away.
    I think every farm kid learns that lesson. Buster was his name, he went to a bigger farm till we learned latter he was for dinner, literary.
    Older I get the harder it is, we are weeks away from fats going to butcher, this group has been a complete joy to feed I’m going to miss them.
    I’ve got a cow, she’s the mom in my avitar she’s 23 and no sign of a calf for 2 years… I’m having a hard time, she has been an awesome cow. Told my son-in-law he might have to haul her. I‘ve thought that she could/should live her life out on the farm but reality is she wouldn’t pass well. She should go out on top.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think every farm kid learns that lesson. Buster was his name, he went to a bigger farm till we learned latter he was for dinner, literary.
    Older I get the harder it is, we are weeks away from fats going to butcher, this group has been a complete joy to feed I’m going to miss them.
    I’ve got a cow, she’s the mom in my avitar she’s 23 and no sign of a calf for 2 years… I’m having a hard time, she has been an awesome cow. Told my son-in-law he might have to haul her. I‘ve thought that she could/should live her life out on the farm but reality is she wouldn’t pass well. She should go out on top.
    My dad raised cattle when he was a kid, lots of milking and getting them out of the graveyard in the middle of the night, he said he learned the same lesson, he also said there will be a few you will be happy to see go!

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    When the girls were in 4H we would put the name of the calf or pig or goat on the packages of meat. Squirt feel free to ask me. Not an expert, not a large operation. Sold our cows and sows the winter after the summer both girls got married and moved out of the house and the wife got her foot crushed (all the same summer!). We feed 10 or less right now for freezer beef annually.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Basic info as I have been told.
    6 cows max per acre if you have two acres. You can transfer them from one area to the other and let the grass recover. Indiana is a state you will need supplement feeding in winter. Grass don’t grow under the snow.

Some smaller cows lowlines and Dexters mature faster 18-24 months and at that age provide 55-60 percent meat on hood weight. Dexters also make pretty good milk cows with about 1-3 gallons of milk per day plus cream. Eat less and graze well in leaves off shrubs. I have seen both home butchered with a tractor bucket lifting them. I have seen very few people butcher larger cows themselves.

I have eaten dexters raise on nothing but grass and they were tasty compaired the the no name (unknown name) grain fed 1/2 cow I got from the Amish. The Amish cow was ok but the Dexter tasted better off nothin but grass maybe because it was a younger cow.

Sheep let me know if you want to do sheep. I grew up helping new neighbor raise sheep. Cows i milked at my uncles at times but had just about nothing to do with them unless they needed moved.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012

Thanks INGO!
    First rule: There is no such thing as a cattle farmer. I think you mean cattleman or rancher. Use the correct terms and you might get some good info.

Recall the old westerns where the term “farmer” is used in a derogatory fashion? A huge bar brawl or shootout would generally follow use of such a term.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t have a clue what 6 cows per acre means, but if you mean raising, living, grazing, 6 cows will graze down 1 acre of 14-16 inch high forage crop in about a week. Even with rotational grazing. Even 6 Dexter cows will do that.

If you are a first time cattleman, get a couple Dexters for learning and safety reasons. Then read a lot. Find someone that can put up some of your hay or find a winter forage soarce. The very first thing you need is infrastructure, fence, shelter, water, vet. Then work on the rest. PM me if you think I can help. Rancher hay farmer for about 20 yrs now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That‘s a tough one, around here cows-moms earn a name over time. Cows can live 20+ years that’s a long time to not have some kind of relationship with them. Now the cattle that become steaks are a different story, they remain numbers.
    I guess my family is weird. We would be the ones asking "Gee, is this Grace or Phil? Its exceptionally good tonight. Thanks, Grace!

First rule: There is no such thing as a cattle farmer. I think you mean cattleman or rancher. Use the correct terms and you might get some good info.

Recall the old westerns where the term “farmer” is used in a derogatory fashion? A huge bar brawl or shootout would generally follow use of such a term.
    Show me on the doll where the post touched you. Good grief. Lighten up, Francis. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his question/terminology. Unless you enjoy taking a knee during the national anthem and recognize 56 genders. :):

Top Bottom