• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Little Crow with the caliber inserts. I process thousands of cases each winter as I'm smoking in the garage. I do t know how many 5.56 fit in a five gallon bucket but I have two ready for loading.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That is my experience also. Here is a good article about this issue using 45 ACP as an example. I found this article around 5 years ago and shared it with my shooting league. Some of my bullseye shooting freinds were asking about trimming their 45 brass. I felt it was not needed and might be counter productive. I have trimmed many bottleneck cases and turned the necks on a few, but never trimmed straight-walled pistol cases.

http://vintagepistols.com/massreloading/loading45ACP.html
    That makes a lot of sense. I never actually crunched the numbers, but I noticed 45acp, 45colt, 38 special, 9mm all seem to shrink down over time.
    Full power 10mm, 44mag 357mag they will stretch some over time. That's if you load them to maximum pressure.

5.56, 308 will grow some, 338 Lapua Magnum needs trimmed after ever shot it seems, plus a very close case inspection.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'll give you fifty bucks a bucket and swap your two for two unprocessed buckets my new friend?
    Although your offer has possibilities, I just got 90.00/bucket at the scrap yard....
    Ok, no possible way. Too bad your so far, I'd give you a bucket of unprocessed. I know a guy....

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Although your offer has possibilities, I just got 90.00/bucket at the scrap yard....
    Ok, no possible way. Too bad your so far, I'd give you a bucket of unprocessed. I know a guy....
    lol...
    Im just wanting to swap processed for unprocessed and ill pay you 50.00 a bucket.

I have a can to pickup on the SS of FW in the next few months. Maybe a few of us could meet in Huntington for lunch/dinner

Full disclosure, I have a 1050. But since my slaves have grown up :crying: I usually drop off buckets at Blue Ridge Brass in Va on the way to visit family and pick it up next time through.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    lol...
    Im just wanting to swap processed for unprocessed and ill pay you 50.00 a bucket.

I have a can to pickup on the SS of FW in the next few months. Maybe a few of us could meet in Huntington for lunch/dinner

Full disclosure, I have a 1050. But since my slaves have grown up :crying: I usually drop off buckets at Blue Ridge Brass in Va on the way to visit family and pick it up next time through.
    My slaves grew up too! I hunt down by Huntington. Give a shout next time through.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    MidwayUSA has the Lyman on sale for $125.00

I'm a big fan of the Lyman. I've owned the Giraud and the Lyman does just a nice of a job at 1/4 the price. Plus it comes with attachments for most every popular caliber. Also, it's much more easily adjusted than the Giraud and just as consistent.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm a big fan of the Lyman. I've owned the Giraud and the Lyman does just a nice of a job at 1/4 the price. Plus it comes with attachments for most every popular caliber. Also, it's much more easily adjusted than the Giraud and just as consistent.
    My brother bought me out of the Giraud we both owned and Amazon was blowing out the Lyman for 99 bucks so I bought one. I haven't used it yet ( 2 yrs? ) I will need to run a trimmer this winter it looks like. I assume it just cuts a strait cut without a chamfer on the inside and outside?
    Ive also been pondering a Dillon for use when I'm processing brass.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    My brother bought me out of the Giraud we both owned and Amazon was blowing out the Lyman for 99 bucks so I bought one. I haven't used it yet ( 2 yrs? ) I will need to run a trimmer this winter it looks like. I assume it just cuts a strait cut without a chamfer on the inside and outside?
    Ive also been pondering a Dillon for use when I'm processing brass.
    Correct, no champfer.

I've contacted Dillon about getting a trim die for the 300 Savage. Lot of call for that brass these days and it's getting hard to do it by hand. I'll see what they say.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Correct, no champfer.

I've contacted Dillon about getting a trim die for the 300 Savage. Lot of call for that brass these days and it's getting hard to do it by hand. I'll see what they say.
    Thats funny, years and years ago my Gfather gave me his ugly Rem 760 in 300 Savage.
    I bought a few hundred new cases a few years later, one of my sons uses it for deer.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Thats funny, years and years ago my Gfather gave me his ugly Rem 760 in 300 Savage.
    I bought a few hundred new cases a few years later, one of my sons uses it for deer.
    No one regularly produces 300 Savage brass. Starline doesn't make it at all. I've trimmed hundreds of cases with a chop saw and the Lyman trimmer, but my knuckles say "no more."

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I've got this one. It works great. Once you set it up you can run it until your hand gets tired, very easy to do hundreds at a time, or thousands if you have the time.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown

I've got this one. It works great. Once you set it up you can run it until your hand gets tired, very easy to do hundreds at a time, or thousands if you have the time.
    This is what I've used the last couple years . A leather glove seems to help with hand fatigue.

Last edited:

Rich AR15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Another vote for the Giraud trimmer. When I was still shooting Highpower it was good for processing a lot of brass quickly. But might be a little pricey for some.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I have poor hand strength due to arthritis, and after using a Giraud for years, I have switched to a Henderson as my fingers are not worked so hard. As with most shoulder based trimmers you need to place the case in and then give it a 1/4 turn to finish cutting. Henderson is a Forester lathe type trimmer with a 3 way cutter and has a very precise cutting.

Top Bottom