• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Martinsville
    Well the arthritis in my hands are starting to get to my especially since the weather changed. Was trimming 223 yesterday with my Redding lathe and was interested in seeing what ithers are using. So let me know what you use. And if it is worth it. Thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For higher volume use I have the powered RCBS Trim Pro with the 3 way cutter attachments for the 7.62 X 51 and the 5.56 X 45. So I never have to change the settings and the mandrels.

Other cartridges of lesser volume, I use the Lee trim tools and spin the collet and trimmer stud with a cordless drill motor.

Once I figured out that 9mm and .45 acp don't really headspace on the case mouth, no matter what anyone says, I don't even bother trim them. .40 either.

Rayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Martinsville
    This is what i use also, have been very satisfied so far after thousands of rounds trimmed
    That
    This is what i use also, have been very satisfied so far after thousands
    This is what i use also, have been very satisfied so far after thousands of rounds trimmed
    That Giraudis a very nice trimmer but a but too salty for me. Has anyone seen the Henderson v3 trimmer. Another one out of my price range but looks very nice

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For higher volume use I have the powered RCBS Trim Pro with the 3 way cutter attachments for the 7.62 X 51 and the 5.56 X 45. So I never have to change the settings and the mandrels.

Other cartridges of lesser volume, I use the Lee trim tools and spin the collet and trimmer stud with a cordless drill motor.

Once I figured out that 9mm and .45 acp don't really headspace on the case mouth, no matter what anyone says, I don't even bother trim them. .40 either.
    "Once I figured out that 9mm and .45 acp don't really headspace on the case mouth, no matter what anyone says, I don't even bother trim them. .40 either."
    ^^^ How did you find this out??
    I learn something new everyday...Bill.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Once I figured out that 9mm and .45 acp don't really headspace on the case mouth, no matter what anyone says, I don't even bother trim them. .40 either."
    Good question. I have been addicted to experimentation my whole life, and ruined some equipment along the way to prove it.

I took cases and trimmed them shorter and shorter undersized. Stopping at .125 and .100" too short respectively. I loaded a normal factory load with factory weight bullets, maintaining the specified cartridge overall length. The lube was showing on the 230 gr bullets. I slow fired and rapid fired multiple magazines full of the out of spec ammo. They all fired, the pistols, a 1911 and a 92fs never had a glitch. The extractor hook and dead weight vs. inertia must be enough to keep the cartridge in battery. I would have noticed if there was an accuracy problem. If I had a problem with too long of cases, I would have kept and measured the offending case, but never had problems like that either. That was more than a decade ago, and I just never trim semi auto pistol cartridges, and all my stuff works.

I know EVERY published article says case trim length is critical in rimless semi auto cases, but I cannot prove it. I know the loading books all say case mouth length is critical. Looking at the terrible over crimping condition of a lot of peoples reloads, there is no way the case mouth is coming close to hitting the end of the chamber on their ammo either.

Thanks for asking.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good question. I have been addicted to experimentation my whole life, and ruined some equipment along the way to prove it.

I took cases and trimmed them shorter and shorter undersized. Stopping at .125 and .100" too short respectively. I loaded a normal factory load with factory weight bullets, maintaining the specified cartridge overall length. The lube was showing on the 230 gr bullets. I slow fired and rapid fired multiple magazines full of the out of spec ammo. They all fired, the pistols, a 1911 and a 92fs never had a glitch. The extractor hook and dead weight vs. inertia must be enough to keep the cartridge in battery. I would have noticed if there was an accuracy problem. If I had a problem with too long of cases, I would have kept and measured the offending case, but never had problems like that either. That was more than a decade ago, and I just never trim semi auto pistol cartridges, and all my stuff works.

I know EVERY published article says case trim length is critical in rimless semi auto cases, but I cannot prove it. I know the loading books all say case mouth length is critical. Looking at the terrible over crimping condition of a lot of peoples reloads, there is no way the case mouth is coming close to hitting the end of the chamber on their ammo either.

Thanks for asking.
    Good Deal Leo, and THANKS...Yeah, I have read several internet posts on shooting .40 S&W rounds out of 10MM chambers with NO problems at all??
    THANKS AGAIN..

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I shoot in excess 2500 rounds yearly, I send my stuff out....a large flate rate box holds just over 2500 .223 cases.....$99 to $120 and I'm set.....

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've found (non magnum pistol cartridges) if you don't run them +P they seem to shrink.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I've found (non magnum pistol cartridges) if you don't run them +P they seem to shrink.
    That is my experience also. Here is a good article about this issue using 45 ACP as an example. I found this article around 5 years ago and shared it with my shooting league. Some of my bullseye shooting freinds were asking about trimming their 45 brass. I felt it was not needed and might be counter productive. I have trimmed many bottleneck cases and turned the necks on a few, but never trimmed straight-walled pistol cases.

http://vintagepistols.com/massreloading/loading45ACP.html

Top Bottom