• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Looking for suggestions. I've recently gotten into reloading 300bo. I've tried a few different case lubricants but I've gone through 4 dies because the case has become jammed when depriming. Currently I'm using the Lee white grease case lube but I have to put it all over the case and inside the neck. I've tried a few different spray case lubes and they've all jammed. I'd like to find a spray that works and one that doesn't take so long to apply.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Sounds like you’re over lubing them.
    I spread my cases out in some thing like a shoebox give it one or two squirts of spray lube then stir them around a bit.

Reactions: Leo

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like you’re over lubing them.
    I spread my cases out in some thing like a shoebox give it one or two squirts of spray lube then stir them around a bit.
    This. Too much lube can seal the case and you're fighting pressure and vacuum.

Granted my use in 9mm isnt as strong, but I find that lanolin works well. disolve lanolin in 99% alcohol and spritz the cases and let them dry.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I use Dillons spray lube for everything but forming cases for cartridges no longer in production. And for that I use Sincairs wax in a can.
    I put cases in big ziplock bags and pump six or seven pumps and zip the bag shut.
    Then I roll the bag in my hands for a bit, I dump them out and let them DRY UNTIL THEY ARE STICKY.
    Thats the important part, let them dry completly.

Its pretty easy to drill out and tap a stuck case for removal.

Ive only done it once, now my brother. lol

I did the drill and tap, it was quick and easy. A 1/4" x 20 tap, a #7 bit a 2" or so 1/4" 20 bolt and a few washers or a socket.

If you are not a mechanical person, you can mail the dies to me and I will remove the cases for you.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've used the Lee case lube for about 12 years and have never had a stuck case. A little bit goes a long way, especially with small cases like .223 and .300 BO. I also clean my dies after every 500 or so cases that get ran through it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I use Dillons spray lube for everything but forming cases for cartridges no longer in production. And for that I use Sincairs wax in a can.
    I put cases in big ziplock bags and pump six or seven pumps and zip the bag shut.
    Then I roll the bag in my hands for a bit, I dump them out and let them DRY UNTIL THEY ARE STICKY.
    Thats the important part, let them dry completly.

Its pretty easy to drill out and tap a stuck case for removal.

Ive only done it once, now my brother. lol

I did the drill and tap, it was quick and easy. A 1/4" x 20 tap, a #7 bit a 2" or so 1/4" 20 bolt and a few washers or a socket.

If you are not a mechanical person, you can mail the dies to me and I will remove the cases for you.

My way also. I think I posted pics here of a .270 case removal.

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    I recently had to send a die back to Lyman as the finish inside the die was not as smooth as it should have been, and the die 'liked' to stick cases. Occasionally had to use the 5/16" tap to remove a .223 case because the 1/4" one would strip threads out
    when applying the pull. Heard a lot of tales of poor customer service from Lyman. The process went well for me, maybe because I didn't try to use the phone. Communication by e-mail was fruitful. Fortunately I had saved a copy of the purchase order e-mail
    and that made all the difference. Got the die back and it works well now. Thanks Lyman CS!

The chance that all four dies had issues for the OP is unlikely. Probably some technique situation. Learning from mistakes is normal,
    if not often fun.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I was in a store yesterday and picked up some of the One Shot spray. I tried a test batch with little to no expectations but was surprised. Not a single round even acted like it wanted to get stuck. I'm sure with the previous lubes I was doing something wrong but with this I had the cases standing up, gave em a quick spray and it worked.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    s I was doing something wrong but with this I had the cases standing up, gave em a quick spray and it worked.
    Why standing up? You do not want lube inside your cases that could contaminate your primers and powder unless you rinse/clean your cases next.
    The lube is needed on the outside of the cases most.

I actually do the opposite, I make sure they’re all laying on their side when I spray them, then I stir them around to distribute the lube. Then I run them through my sizing/decapping die.
    Then I do a final wet tumble to clean inside and primer pockets thoroughly.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I use the lee lube, first I put it in a bowl, add water and stir, then pour it in a large baggy, add 223 shells, and shake and move them around in it, lay on a news paper and let dry. Size and wipe the lube off the cases with a rag, never had any kind of problem

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yellow is Methanol, red is isopropyl. But you are correct.

But used as a case lube either would be ok. Its not like you are washing the items by hand in the Methanol.

Isopropyl is still probably the preferred carrier as its a lower risk. Its easy to find at almost any store.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You arent supposed to drink your case lube. :lmfao:

Pretty sure its only poisonous to ingest, not handle.

Skin Contact

Methanol is moderately irritating to the skin. Methanol can be absorbed through the skin and harmful effects have been reported by this route of entry. Effects are similar to those described in “inhalation.”

EFFECTS OF LONG-TERM (CHRONIC) EXPOSURE:
    Inhalation / Skin Contact

Repeated exposure by inhalation or absorption may cause systemic poisoning, brain disorders, impaired vision, and blindness. Inhalation may worsen conditions such as emphysema or bronchitis. Repeated skin contact may cause dermal irritation, dryness, and cracking.

Repeated use aka getting it on your fingers Repeatedly can poison you. As well as Repeated Inhalation.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Why standing up? You do not want lube inside your cases that could contaminate your primers and powder unless you rinse/clean your cases next.
    The lube is needed on the outside of the cases most.

I actually do the opposite, I make sure they’re all laying on their side when I spray them, then I stir them around to distribute the lube. Then I run them through my sizing/decapping die.
    Then I do a final wet tumble to clean inside and primer pockets thoroughly.
    Do you have any data to prove that happens?

Top Bottom