• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    I've used both methods. Dry tumbling, overall, is less processing time as I just chuck the brass in and let it go for a couple of hours. With wet tumbling, I use a Lee decapping die to knock out all the spent primers, then wet tumble for two hours in a mixture of dish detergent and 1/4 tsp lemishine, then dry the brass off in a towel, then move the brass to a toaster oven. I find that wet tumbling gets me cleaner brass, with less dust, so I've come to like it, even with the additional work over dry tumbling. I've considered adding stainless steel media, but I feel that for the level of cleanliness I'm already getting, it's not really worth it.

Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    I will also add that I mainly use a a single stage press for all my reloading, so in my head it's really easy to divvy things up into batch processing. Wet tumbling is just another step in the batch process.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use vibratory dry tumbler. I use a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob. I'll post some pictures later have a batch of 10MM in it right now.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I do both wet and dry tumbling. Higher volume stuff gets dry tumbled and small volume stuff gets wet. Both methods are effective. Dry tumbling is easier and faster. Wet tumbling eliminates the grimy dust that often comes with dry tumbling.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I recently purchased a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (Platinum)- optics planet had it for $159 plus 5% off. I wasn't satisfied with my Hornady sonic cleaner (plus after 8 years it's starting to act up - I was probably using it too hard). So far (cleaned 1250 5.56 cases), it's so much better. Cases are clean and shiny. I use Armor All car wash soap, SS media pins and citric acid. After an 60-90 minutes, looks like new. Thinking about getting a dehydrator to dry quicker.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Not sure I if this means I'm Lazy or Crazy. I De-prime with a hammer & some Homemade punches, because I don't like running "Dirty" brass thru my Dies. Then I use Iosso (liquid) Case Cleaner-Soaking the brass for 5-10 minutes, with an occasional sloshing. Then Rinse with tap water & let em air dry. Bleaches em out better than New. BTW-Thanks Chewie for the De-hydrater idea-I'll be looking into that! If I want em Shiny, I'll throw em in the Tumbler with some Corn Cob media & a couple of drops of Nu Finish.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not sure I if this means I'm Lazy or Crazy. I De-prime with a hammer & some Homemade punches, because I don't like running "Dirty" brass thru my Dies. Then I use Iosso (liquid) Case Cleaner-Soaking the brass for 5-10 minutes, with an occasional sloshing. Then Rinse with tap water & let em air dry. Bleaches em out better than New. BTW-Thanks Chewie for the De-hydrater idea-I'll be looking into that! If I want em Shiny, I'll throw em in the Tumbler with some Corn Cob media & a couple of drops of Nu Finish.
    A universal decapping die is under $20. One of the most useful tools on my bench. Much less time consuming than a punch and hammer.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm at the cleanliness/laziness balance point of using a splash of car wash soap, pinch of lemi-shine and no SS media. Just drain it, rinse it, toss it on the dryer.

I plumb my dillon casefeeder into my Lee APP to deprime beforehand. That makes for very fast batch processing.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    If it's really cruddy like when I shoot my suppressors, I will use a little Dawn dish soap a spoonful of lemon shine and just pour it between two buckets for a few minutes. Then I rinse it and then I will tumble it for maybe 30 minutes.

If it's not real dirty I will just tumble it in my Dillon large tumbler for an hour

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    A universal decapping die is under $20. One of the most useful tools on my bench. Much less time consuming than a punch and hammer.
    I load quite a bit of once-fired 7.62 Mil brass & had some issues braking Decapping pins. Idk if the Mil Primers are Crimped or not, but they don't "fight" that Punch! lol

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Wet tumble with dawn and lemishine in a ice mountain water jug on my treadmill , have run a couple at a time but could probably rig it to run 4 -5 of them

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have been reloading for 6 years now.
    I started doing dry tumbling with crushed walnut shells.
    It worked fine, but my brass just wasn't as "sparkly" as I wanted so I tried wet tumbling and wouldn't go back.
    Yes, there is a bit more expense involved, as I also got a case dryer, but my brass is sparkly clean.
    I was never one who was to concerned about sparkly brass until I started getting it, now I'm hooked.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Still dry tumbling after over 10 years of reloading. I use a 50/50 walnut / corn cob mixture with an ounce or 2 of mineral spirits every few batches. Frankford Arsenal Quick N EZ is still going strong.

I actually picked up the 50/50 mixture from a guy on eBay and it's worked out well.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Update on my cleaning process. I was having issues with the homemade lanolin lube - it was really lubed but after cleaning the brass, I was still needing more prep and the brass was a gray color - i had to wipe down with alcohol to clean off remaining residue. I think I fixed my problem. I diluted the alcohol and lanolin mixture with more alcohol and I used a spray or two less when coating the brass (rifle only). I think the citric acid and armor all soap also reacted negatively to the brass and lube. So, less lube and I now wash in hot water in the FART with Goop - has pumice and some citrus component. The results have been fantastic. Clean and shiny brass with no residue left. I do not use steel pins, as of now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom