• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danbailey24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Rochester
    At the cost of getting drilled on a site such as this one, I have a genuine question. Do any of you hardcore carriers every feel "hassled" by carrying? I ask because a day in my life takes me to several places where I would think guns would not be welcome (. I guess I should research to be certain.). Walmart, Kroger, public school, hardware store, McDonald's. Do you all carry in those places ( except public school...I'm a teacher). It just seems like carrying on a daily basis isn't realistic for me... Am I way off with most places listed above?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never felt hassled. Admittedly, I'm not a hard core, 24/7 open carry person, so it is often not so obvious I'm carrying. The places you mentioned in you OP are pretty indifferent to carrying as far as I've experienced.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Been carrying openly for years. Never had an issue. Most of the stores you mentioned are required to follow local and state laws. They cannot prohibit firearms as part of their corporate policy.

I know the McD's in Rochester has a sign asking patrons to leave their firearms in their vehicles. I should have called corporate, but I never did. The sign has no weight, anyway.

If you feel in any way burdened by carrying a gun, maybe you need to reconsider your reasons for doing so.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    To be truthful, I only carry on my days off. Working at a liberal mecca like IU doesn't allow me to be "hard core" like the lucky SOBs on here that get to work in gun shops and training schools. That's not to say that I'm completely unprotected Monday-Friday, I'm just not carrying. On the weekends, I strap on my gun of choice before I leave the house and it doesn't come off until I get undressed for bed. Even carrying my G21 with TLR1s, I don't feel that it's a burden, you just learn to accommodate. The places you mentioned, save for the school, usually don't bat an eye, especially if you simply throw a shirt tail over it(half @$$ CC).

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Most people don't have the awareness to notice.

And if they did notice, wouldn't confront you about it. You might get a question or two. But that would be rare. In my experience.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Carrying a firearm has significant responsibilities. When I leave the house: keys, wallet, cell phone, handgun/holster, spare magazine carrier. Where am I going? How's the weather? All of that affects how I do my "sloppy CC".

Its not as easy as wandering out of the house with your face in your iPhone. It requires more situational awareness than most people have to give (see iPhone in your face comment, previous sentence). A firearm is not an accessory, it is a lethal weapon. Choosing to carry a firearm is a lifestyle choice. It's no more a hassle than choosing to pay attention to what's going on in the world.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If you carry often and long enough, it becomes a habit not a hassle. Actually NOT carrying becomes the hassle. Having said that, You do have to give some thought to how you dress around the gun, or whether you need to go with the sub compact that day. That could be considered a hassle but like I said, it becomes a routine habit (redundance for emphasis) and not being able to carry is the hassle

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is it a hassle? Yes. Is it a hassle to pay for life insurance? Yes.

Risk vs. reward.

I cant carry at work, but my employer went out of his way to tell us we could keep our guns in our cars when the law was passed.* I have my gun near me at all times. Its not easy, and there are some times I dont carry because the reward doesnt outweigh the risk.

*as a side note it was funny to watch a clueless supervisor's reaction when he was lamenting firing one of his underlings. The guy didnt take it well, and hung out in his car in the lot afterward. Super got the willies because he knew from overhearing conversations between his subordinates that he keeps a gun in his car. (the workers are all good ole boys) He even expressed concern to HR that we are allowed to do so (implying its a bad thing) He related the story to me and I looked at him and said "You have absolutely no idea how many guns are out there in that parking lot right now, do you? There are more than you think. I'll bet you lunch there are at LEAST 10, if not more. And probably one or two inside the building as well against policy." He seriously contemplated my statement for a bit and said "you know, I never thought about that..."

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I carry a lot. I always carry concealed and do not agree with open carry (could care less if you want to carry it that way) I won't. It draws unneeded attention. I sell cars and people walk in the dealership with guns all day everyday, most covered, you can see the print or the bottom of the holster. We get a bunch of open carry too, can't say I really care but I think you lose a tactical advantage. As for the OP question, Its a hassle sometimes***,yes... but I would rather have it then not. Depending on where I am going I may choose not to bring it but its not likely.

I have 2 main carry guns and depending on my outfit or where I am going will decide on which gun to grab. I see more and more armed robbers are hitting NWI so I have it 99% of the time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Obviously schools are a no go. Otherwise I have carried a gun in Walmart, Kroger, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace, ...... I and carried guns at family reunions , family pictures, Christmas parties, bosses office party at his house, professional conferences, in state, out of state, on fishing trips, my sisters wedding on the beach.

A hassle yes. Inconvenient maybe. But not once has anybody noticed or asked.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    I carry a lot. I always carry concealed and do not agree with open carry (could care less if you want to carry it that way) I won't. It draws unneeded attention. I sell cars and people walk in the dealership with guns all day everyday, most covered, you can see the print or the bottom of the holster. We get a bunch of open carry too, can't say I really care but I think you lose a tactical advantage. As for the OP question, Its a hassle sometimes***,yes... but I would rather have it then not. Depending on where I am going I may choose not to bring it but its not likely.

I have 2 main carry guns and depending on my outfit or where I am going will decide on which gun to grab. I see more and more armed robbers are hitting NWI so I have it 99% of the time.
    What he said makes perfect sense to me

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Carrying is not a hassle. It's a habit.

I carry everywhere it's legal. As others mentioned, signs have no weight of law, so I don't care if McDonald's would prefer I don't carry. I don't ask for their permission.

A good belt and holster makes things much easier. I also have a good pocket gun for times I don't want to strap on the full rig.

If your setup is so uncomfortable that you leave it at home, then it's not the right setup. Keep adjusting until you find something that works.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I carry openly everywhere it is legal to do so. For a couple of years now. And I have never been hassled. And the "tactical advantage" of CC is pure horse-pucky.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Life in general is a hassle. Paying for my property taxes is a hassle. Paying my mortgage is a hassle. Buying fire insurance is a hassle. But, I gladly undertake each and every one of those as well as the other 80 problems each of us deal with because I know that the cost of not doing any of those when I needed to have them done is far larger than just doing them is. Life is full of hassles. Carrying when you can is among the lesser of them.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I CC everywhere legally allowed. Never been hassled. After a while, you'll feel uncomfortable NOT having your firearm.:twocents:

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    FYI Kroger expressly follows local laws, so carry there all you wish in Indiana.

As for me, I can't carry at work and I love my job, so I don't. I do have it in the vehicle but I don't talk about it at work.

Top Bottom