• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So I've been looking more into carrying lately, and wanted to know peoples opinion on the best carry gun, and also about carrying a 1911 pistol? and thoughts?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Carry what you are comfortable carrying and carry it how it is comfortable for you:cool:

Nothing wrong with 1911 for carry. Bit heavy, but with the right holster and belt it isn't an issue

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Also, .380's are small and concealable, but I never could get comfortable shooting .380, especially a G42 or a sig p238. Just didn't feel right, and couldnt get shots down range consistently. I guess that could change with practice, but if you can't get shots down range whats the point of carrying it? :)

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Also, .380's are small and concealable, but I never could get comfortable shooting .380, especially a G42 or a sig p226. Just didn't feel right, and couldnt get shots down range consistently. I guess that could change with practice, but if you can't get shots down range whats the point of carrying it? :)

You shouldn't have that problem with a 1911:yesway:

No reason to carry something you can't defend yourself with efficiently.

If you have never carried before, make sure you get good gear. Good training course as well

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My carry has evolved over the years. I started carrying a compact 1911 in .45acp and then went to a compact xd in 9mm, then to a lcp in .380, now a glock 19 and the lcp. These changes came as I learned more about shooting, what stops people, holsters, belts, fighting with handguns and accessing weapons in a fight.

My suggestion is to take a pistol marksmanship class and after that a defensive pistol class. Also commit to buying a good gun belt and a good holster for whatever you carry. I cringe now thinking about how I was carrying a kimber in a $20 uncle mikes floppy holster on a belt they sell at Kholes to wear with dockers.

These days I do not have much interest in carrying a single stack steel pistol with a grip safety and/or a thumb safety. That said, some folks that I respect do carry 1911's, so who am I to judge.

I guess what I am really trying to say is, your first carry gun might be your last carry gun, but it is probably just the first in a series.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    To carry a 1911 you need to spend some money on a GOOD carry belt and holster. If you try to get by with less you won't lug it very long. Also plan to spend some time on live fire practice and do as much dry fire practice as you can drawing and firing the gun with either hand until it becomes automatic. A 1911 is an excellent choice if you do those things.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Practice practice practice. I part time carry a 1911, and did for years. Manipulating the controls (safety) needs to happen without thinking about it. Otherwise, it can become a hindrance and not a benefit.

I will always give the same advice to people: Find thegun that suits you best and use that. What works for Kirk, or Church may not work for me and vice versa. If you'recomfortable with the 1911 platform, then go for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Best" is subjective.

As far as the 1911, how much are you realistically going to train? How much time are you going to spend dry firing? Are you going to attend any sort of decision based training with shoot/no-shoot scenarios? If the answers aren't "a lot, a lot, and yes" then I would shy away from anything with a thumb safety. You need to be able to work the safety under stress, perhaps while being grappled, and you also need to leave the safety on right up until you decide you have to shoot or you've got a gun that has zero room for error with trigger discipline before an AD occurs.

Depending on your level of knowledge, your dedication to training, how much you value concealability, size of your hands, budget, etc. "best" could be a lot of things. The LCR revolver, the M&P Shield, the Sig P229, and the Glock 19 are options I'd look in to.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    "Best" is subjective.

As far as the 1911, how much are you realistically going to train? How much time are you going to spend dry firing? Are you going to attend any sort of decision based training with shoot/no-shoot scenarios? If the answers aren't "a lot, a lot, and yes" then I would shy away from anything with a thumb safety. You need to be able to work the safety under stress, perhaps while being grappled, and you also need to leave the safety on right up until you decide you have to shoot or you've got a gun that has zero room for error with trigger discipline before an AD occurs.

Depending on your level of knowledge, your dedication to training, how much you value concealability, size of your hands, budget, etc. "best" could be a lot of things. The LCR revolver, the M&P Shield, the Sig P229, and the Glock 19 are options I'd look in to.

Trigger is a biggie.... and it's part of the reason I've gone to a striker fired DA/SA trigger for the EDC. The 1911's are known for their fantastic light triggers. Unfortunately, when hte adrenaline hits, light is not your friend. Its why I always preach the practice practice practice and find what you're comfortable with.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I carry a 1911 every day. It behooves one to know the manual of arms forward and backward, just like any other firearm. I have a full sized for work, a Colt Officers ACP for off-duty. The full sized is hefty, however, one makes their choice and sticks with it. I can shoot both of my 1911's better than our issued Sig 229.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    To rehash what has been said upthread: "best" depends a lot on you. Every thing from how much you will dedicate to training&practice, to things like your hand size and how stringent are your concealment requirements?

If you will get fired for being armed at work, "best" is something like a Ruger LCP. This is one reason most all of us own more than one gun.

As for the 1911, if you don't train until operating the safety is a conditioned reflex like trigger discipline, then it's disqualified as "do-able" let alone "best".

A good single action trigger can spoil you with how easy it is to shoot but isn't necessarily an ideal choice under stress. Again, the 1911 demands a commitment to train/practice

If you have a good belt and holster (IMO, IWB hides better and gives more support) the weight won't be a problem. You might eventually miss it if it's not there. Likewise, you might appreciate the weight when it's time to shoot

If you're thin, you'll need a compact officer model length grip to be able to conceal the pistol in warm weather.

9mm vs .45? 25 years ago, the terminal ballistics of 9mm were measurably inferior to .45 and now the difference is, I hear, marginal. More ammo capacity with less recoil is hard to argue with--that and the ammo costs less.

One last consideration regarding a carry pistol, is seeing what your holster options are. Some pistols are so prolific that you'll have a hard time sorting through all the types of holster choices. Others, you might have a hard time finding much to choose from.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I carry a double stack 1911 .45 every day. I believe it's the best gun to carry or else I'd carry something else.

But, as others have said, the gun matters way less than your training and mindset, how you carry, etc. Get the gun and gear, get training (maybe not in that order) and then practice. See what works best for you and go with it. The truth is there's no right answer to your question. There's no "best way" to carry that fits every scenario. However, you'll end up carrying a gun you like and feel confident with way more than you'll carry one you bought just because the guys on the internetz said it's cool.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "Best" is subjective.

To rehash what has been said upthread: "best" depends a lot on you. Every thing from how much you will dedicate to training&practice, to things like your hand size and how stringent are your concealment requirements?

If you will get fired for being armed at work, "best" is something like a Ruger LCP. This is one reason most all of us own more than one gun.

As for the 1911, if you don't train until operating the safety is a conditioned reflex like trigger discipline, then it's disqualified as "do-able" let alone "best".

A good single action trigger can spoil you with how easy it is to shoot but isn't necessarily an ideal choice under stress. Again, the 1911 demands a commitment to train/practice

If you have a good belt and holster (IMO, IWB hides better and gives more support) the weight won't be a problem. You might eventually miss it if it's not there. Likewise, you might appreciate the weight when it's time to shoot

If you're thin, you'll need a compact officer model length grip to be able to conceal the pistol in warm weather.

9mm vs .45? 25 years ago, the terminal ballistics of 9mm were measurably inferior to .45 and now the difference is, I hear, marginal. More ammo capacity with less recoil is hard to argue with--that and the ammo costs less.

One last consideration regarding a carry pistol, is seeing what your holster options are. Some pistols are so prolific that you'll have a hard time sorting through all the types of holster choices. Others, you might have a hard time finding much to choose from.

THIS! Carrying with a thumb safety can get you killed. (so make sure you train, train, and then train some more)

There are numerous videos out there of guys who plain forgot to flip the switch and had they not, would have come out on top. Instead the last thing that went through their mind was "WTF?!?! What is happening why isnt this work..." *BLAM* The bad guy was able to get a shot off and they were done.

I cant find it now, but there is a very vivid first person helmet cam video from the vicim where a motorcyclist starts to get robbed of his bike. Bad guy keeps the gun trained on the victim and looks away to fiddle with the keys. The good guy quietly draws his pistol and pulls the trigger by the bad guys head but nothing happens. About that time the bad guy looks back, sees the gun which is now in his face and instinctively squeezes off a round into the good guy's face. Last thing you see is the bike going past as he collapses like a wet noodle. Sad.

While its not as pretty, I go with my G19 or G42. It just goes bang when I squeeze the trigger. Its a simple design for a simple guy, and I can concentrate on other training. Plus, its a HELL of a lot more comfy to carry. My 1911 is just soooo damned heavy!

Good luck!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    THIS! Carrying with a thumb safety can get you killed. (so make sure you train, train, and then train some more)

There are numerous videos out there of guys who plain forgot to flip the switch and had they not, would have come out on top. Instead the last thing that went through their mind was "WTF?!?! What is happening why isnt this work..." *BLAM* The bad guy was able to get a shot off and they were done.

I cant find it now, but there is a very vivid first person helmet cam video from the vicim where a motorcyclist starts to get robbed of his bike. Bad guy keeps the gun trained on the victim and looks away to fiddle with the keys. The good guy quietly draws his pistol and pulls the trigger by the bad guys head but nothing happens. About that time the bad guy looks back, sees the gun which is now in his face and instinctively squeezes off a round into the good guy's face. Last thing you see is the bike going past as he collapses like a wet noodle. Sad.

While its not as pretty, I go with my G19 or G42. It just goes bang when I squeeze the trigger. Its a simple design for a simple guy, and I can concentrate on other training. Plus, its a HELL of a lot more comfy to carry. My 1911 is just soooo damned heavy!

Good luck!

sissy........................................

Top Bottom