• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    I was an exclusive 1911 guy for about 8 years. I learned that I'm not reliable on flipping off the thumb safety when it matters, but that's another story entirely. Otherwise, for me, no DA/SA guns or manually disabled external safeties. I'm 99.9% striker fired.

Something I need to dress around: S&W Shield Plus

"Concealed" casual carry (bowling type shirt/jacket cover garment): S&W M&P

None of the above 0.01%: S&W 642 or Ruger SP101 in a pocket/coat pocket

Pull trigger go bang. Proper safety/procedures obviously.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was an exclusive 1911 guy for about 8 years. I learned that I'm not reliable on flipping off the thumb safety when it matters, but that's another story entirely. Otherwise, for me, no DA/SA guns or manually disabled external safeties. I'm 99.9% striker fired.

Something I need to dress around: S&W Shield Plus

"Concealed" casual carry (bowling type shirt/jacket cover garment): S&W M&P

None of the above 0.01%: S&W 642 or Ruger SP101 in a pocket/coat pocket

Pull trigger go bang. Proper safety/procedures obviously.

For me it was the grip safety on a 1911. After 5% failures of a dead trigger when doing drills, I decided to move to striker fired guns with no external safeties.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    For me it was the grip safety on a 1911. After 5% failures of a dead trigger when doing drills, I decided to move to striker fired guns with no external safeties.
    I never had trouble with the grip safety, but it does have me wondering about a new Equalizer (I know... "Equalizer" :): :scratch:).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Coach was pretty famous for carrying an expensive 1911 or 2011, with a wrap of electrical tape holding down the grip safety. ;)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I never had trouble with the grip safety, but it does have me wondering about a new Equalizer (I know... "Equalizer" :): :scratch:).
    The issue I see in classes with Shield EZ and will be with the Equalizer is due to the grip safety pinning at the bottom opposite a 1911 a lot of folks (that it’s marketed to 60 plus year old female first time shooters) don’t have the grip power to positively disengage the safety WITH the trendy thumbs forward/high thumbs everyone is nuts about.

I have had to alter several to a revolver/crushed thumbs grip on the EZ line to get them to 100% positively disengage the safety for a bang every time.

With that grip there is no way to NOT disengage it. And these are the types that want to know how to make it work and then the gun goes in a drawer and they forget about it so getting them proficient with the tacticool thumbs forward method just ain’t gonna happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Before I switched to Glocks, I was an exclusive 1911 guy.

I had to invest in aftermarket "bump" grip safetys after coach pushed me to miss the factory grip safetys a few times. Strangely, I was fine with the factory grip safetys, before I trained with coach. :n00b:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was an exclusive 1911 guy for about 8 years. I learned that I'm not reliable on flipping off the thumb safety when it matters,
    I was so ingrained on flipping off the manual safety until I, for the most part, switched to striker fired guns. Now after a couple years I have a .22 pistol with a thumb safety and I am often forgetting to "thumb" the safety off. I'd leave it off but was told that if I shoot a certain match, I have to use the thumb safety since it's there.

So I am working on relearning to disengage the thumb safety on my draw. :n00b:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I carry a 1911 on my belt unless impractical, then it's an LCP 2 in the pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_103403396_HDR~2.jpg
      IMG_20230330_103403396_HDR~2.jpg
      443.8 KB · Views: 1
    • latest 1911 no watermark 1~2.jpg
      latest 1911 no watermark 1~2.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 1

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was so ingrained on flipping off the manual safety until I, for the most part, switched to striker fired guns. Now after a couple years I have a .22 pistol with a thumb safety and I am often forgetting to "thumb" the safety off. I'd leave it off but was told that if I shoot a certain match, I have to use the thumb safety since it's there.

So I am working on relearning to disengage the thumb safety on my draw. :n00b:

Lotta folks might be surprised that their "rotation" works fine, until pressured in a training environment. (Hopefully not on the street.)

I had the 1911 safety down pat when I carried that platform. Never missed it in a competition, training or practice. In a Mercop class, we ran FOF airsoft Glocks the top half of the day, then switched to live fire at the range the second half of the day. First draw "to beat a bad guy" at live fire, I missed the 1911 safety. :ugh:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lotta folks might be surprised that their "rotation" works fine, until pressured in a training environment. (Hopefully not on the street.)

I had the 1911 safety down pat when I carried that platform. Never missed it in a competition, training or practice. In a Mercop class, we ran FOF airsoft Glocks the top half of the day, then switched to live fire at the range the second half of the day. First draw "to beat a bad guy" at live fire, I missed the 1911 safety. :ugh:

Yup. I have had a few "dead" triggers on my .22 at the range. When the guy running the match told me I couldn't leave the safety in the "off" position, I told him that I will prepare for the snickers from the crowd.

Unless I get it re-ingrained before I shoot a match.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yup. I have had a few "dead" triggers on my .22 at the range. When the guy running the match told me I couldn't leave the safety in the "off" position, I told him that I will prepare for the snickers from the crowd.

Unless I get it re-ingrained before I shoot a match.

Some years back at a USPSA match, I was the RO running the timer, when a shooter's pistol quit. We were stuck, because we couldn't get the slide back to make the gun safe to move away from the COF.

It was a new model Ruger that no one on the squad new anything about until one guy hollered take the safety off. That did it. The shooter had never used the safety and accidently turned it on while shooting the COF. :n00b: The dummy RO didn't have a clue that the pistol even had a safety. :rolleyes:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I mostly drive a pickup truck with the shift lever on the column. My wife drives an SUV with a console shifter. When I drive my wife's car on occasion, I often find myself absent-mindedly reaching for the shift lever on the column. Old habits die hard and I expect that under extreme stress, I'll do what I have ingrained into my pea brain. I am lucky that my EDC is the gun that I shoot the best of all my carry options. I am concerned about keeping it concealed, so I pocket carry in a good holster. I know that not everyone's clothes selections, preferences or builds allow that, but it works for me. The only drawback is when I'm seated, especially while belted in a vehicle. I'm still trying to figure that out. On rare occasions, I'm asked to volunteer as security at special functions. On those occasions I use an OWB holster, carry a spare magazine in a pouch and wear a large shirt hanging outside to conceal it all. The OWB holster is closely positioned to where my right pocket is located. The OWB holster is because I'm usually seated. The gun I use is still my EDC.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I like guns, and I have a few that I like to carry. They all work relatively the same way, so I'll probably be okay. I am very familiar with all of them.
    If not..........

To each their own.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I like guns, and I have a few that I like to carry. They all work relatively the same way, so I'll probably be okay. I am very familiar with all of them.
    If not..........

To each their own.
    Don't take this the wrong way, I only ask out of genuine interest and the question doesn't just apply to you, what is very familiar? Do you compete with them? Take classes with them? About how many rounds a year do you shoot?

Top Bottom