• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I apologize if this has been cussed and discussed. I see that a lot of folks who EDC carry different guns at times. I suppose if someone's EDC isn't practical for summer wear, one might want to go to a pocket piece, but it seems to me that the folks who believe in carrying multiple guns at different times aren't concerned with that so much. Can someone explain their thoughts on the benefits of rotating different handguns into their daily routine?

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    I apologize if this has been cussed and discussed. I see that a lot of folks who EDC carry different guns at times. I suppose if someone's EDC isn't practical for summer wear, one might want to go to a pocket piece, but it seems to me that the folks who believe in carrying multiple guns at different times aren't concerned with that so much. Can someone explain their thoughts on the benefits of rotating different handguns into their daily routine?
    My choice usually comes down to where I’m going, what I’m doing, and what I’m wearing.

If it’s hot I’ll carry something lighter most of the time. If it’s cold I might carry something heavier because I can conceal it due to heavier clothing, but may still take the lighter option for comfort. Just depends on the mood that day.

If I’m going to be in the woods cutting or doing something that’s going to get a gun covered in dirt/water/dust, that plays into what I take.

If I’m going to Christmas dinner or family outing I sometimes carry something my dad or grandpa handed down to me out of nostalgia.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Following this.

How to train and get the muscle memory for a bunch of different styles? I want my edc's to have consistent controls.
    I narmally edc my 92fs, but soon it will be the CZ PCR. They are similar enough it doesn't change my habits which is a quandary for me since I love my 1911, but since I've stopped edc'ing it (it's too nice to edc anyhow) I might not remember to flip the safety.

I'm just more comfortable edc'ing a da/sa anyhow.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My carry depends on a few variables. Couple weeks ago, was replacing some river rock around my landscaping. Im not as flexible as i use to be, and did a twist or two on my back. Uhm, i know better, but weather was great.

I began a week or so of backpain, did some meds, and switched from my G25 to my Bersa 380acp.
    Big difference, and had to experiment with ways to holster without pinching more spots.

Finally last week got healed enough to carry my holstered G25 without issues.

I have a surplus Camo Army M65 field jacket, so used that to pocket carry the Bersa.(no liner-lighter weight) Also took my wallet and tactical folder out of my jeans pockets and clipped it to my field jacket pocket. Keys and cellphone too. That stuff is heavy every day.

In winter, easy to carry Med-Large CCW, and pocket carry a Backup.
    So, I guess it matters how you distribute weight around, and when you shovel rock... get your sons on the job too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a "deep" pocket carry option for the very very rare times that I cannot get out of a funeral or wedding hugging fest. (Pro tip - use that 'rona excuse, whenever you need. ;))

Otherwise there is no "rotation." My choice of a carry gun is called a compact, yet carried by most as a full size, the same as I do. My wardrobe is planned around this pistol. Whether it be under a winter coat or in shorts/tank top/barefoot.

I train and shoot competition with both pistols. I can attest that your training/competition "rotation" needs to happen with some frequency. Too long on the G19 or G43 without using the other makes for unhappy realizations. You'd be surprised how your grip becomes accustomed to a bigger or smaller pistol grip. Fundamentals don't fall to pieces, you are still basically effective. Kinda...

If you are shooting for score though, "rotation" tells quite the tail, if not practiced with frequency. A tail that goes beyond just good competition scoring. The question is how many shots will it take to bring the hits to where you want them? Is that something you want to gamble with when shooting back at a threat? Over the shoulder of a hostage? :scratch:

:twocents:

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I dont deveate often, I have two that sit on the counter depending on what I have going on. Now when I would drive to Avon to see a few friends, On the way home I would stop and see Tim.
    I would stop before I got to his house and I would swap out my 226 for a Colt GC or my Python just to hear him cry about Colts.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Much like bwframe I rotate 2. I wouldn't do that but for a couple of reasons I carry a smaller gun at work. Not so small as to be unusable, but I still give up some performance. I absolutely can't get on board with daily or weekly carry rotations or worse yet carry position rotations.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Summary from the late Todd Green - have a legitimate, practical reason:

Handguns in "the rotation" have/serve a particular, specific, practical purpose.

On occasion, something different is carried for a reason, not a whim.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My rotation off hours, Early fall to Winter time, 1911 Owb in the you will shoot your self holster.

Late Winter to Early Spring same 1911.

Late Spring to all Summer 1911. Yes I get some people want to spin the wheel of Carry to decide but I do not understand it. Train carry , train repeat.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    There are times when due to clothing or circumstance I need to carry a deep conceal or pocket gun otherwise my usual carry is my PCR. When I am taking my carry to the range I will carry my backup carry which is a Rami with the same fire controls. I do not carry my PCR when I take it to the range as would have to clear it in the car/parking lot and case it to use it on the range. That said, it is the pistol I have the most practice and confidence in.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When I'm not at work, I carry 1 gun. It holds 15+1. I carry it when it's hot weather, cold weather, tank top or sweatshirt. I carry it on 12hr road trips. The ONLY time I carry something different is when I'm in NJ, I might carry my 5 shot .38 as they have a 10 round mag limit or if I'm in a shirt/tie and I'll tuck the dress shirt over the revolver. I don't understand the need for different sized guns for different weather.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    For work I need to deep conceal. So I carry a p365.

Outside of work on my hip I carry a glock 43/43x. I love my 19s but I rarely carry them anymore.

But a shoot able pistol is a must for a carry gun. I love the size of the lcp/bodyguard but do not trust the 380 caliber and cannot get a good enough proper grip to shoot past 10 yards efficiently.

I'm going to get a p365 hip holster and will likely carry the p365 everyday. The Green Force Tactical Pocket Holster though is so convenient and can draw one handed. But I like having my pockets free.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I seem to recall this coming up before and we had some of our top experts give their opinion. As I recall, the consensus was that if you are a serious operator you will only carry and shoot one particular model,of pistol.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Following this.

How to train and get the muscle memory for a bunch of different styles? I want my edc's to have consistent controls.
    I narmally edc my 92fs, but soon it will be the CZ PCR. They are similar enough it doesn't change my habits which is a quandary for me since I love my 1911, but since I've stopped edc'ing it (it's too nice to edc anyhow) I might not remember to flip the safety.

I'm just more comfortable edc'ing a da/sa anyhow.
    That’s easy. Just different sizes of the same gun. Muscle memory is the same, trigger is the same. Just one has more barrel and grip than the other.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm certain the reason people carry a pistol is for self defense. I can't imagine those that have several different EDCs are proficient with any of them. My EDC has shifted from a Glock to a PSA Dagger (points more naturally for me) @ 2:00 but controls are identical. I find that if I go a couple of months without structured training my speed and accuracy suffers. Possibly some can transition between several completely different firearms without losing proficiency but it's not possible for me so I train regularly, stick with the same thing and dress around it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm certain the reason people carry a pistol is for self defense. I can't imagine those that have several different EDCs are proficient with any of them. My EDC has shifted from a Glock to a PSA Dagger (points more naturally for me) @ 2:00 but controls are identical. I find that if I go a couple of months without structured training my speed and accuracy suffers. Possibly some can transition between several completely different firearms without losing proficiency but it's not possible for me so I train regularly, stick with the same thing and dress around it.

I thought I was the only one who carried at that position, guess not... :cheers:

Almost always carry the same gun, same position all the time. Getting ready to switch to a different carry gun, but it'll be carried in the same place in a similar holster. I'm hoping to train with it soon so I can adjust to the difference in size.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Muscles don’t have a brain for a memory!!!! Just Kidsing seriously though it sort of depends on the person.

The biggest area of concern is something like a Beretta with a slide mounted lever (non G de cocked only model) to say a 1911 with a swipe down safety vs a striker Glock, M&P etc

As far as different sizes that’s less of an issue than a manual of arms to me.

I carry a variety of guns due to usually due to what class I am teaching. however I shoot enough and have shot enough it doesn’t matter to me.

So with that I’d say again it depends on the person and how much proficiency one has developed.

Some probably aren’t proficient enough to really be carrying but that’s a whole other thread!

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Learning to pay attention to your surroundings, avoiding conflict, and having the ability to let your ego go/walk away from conflict if you can is more important than carrying in my opinion.

If you can do the above and can carry safely, you’re better off than 99% of the population.

I grew up in a rural area where many of the old timers carried a revolver in the front pocket of their bibs. Wouldn’t mess with one of them and would trust one of them to stop a tragedy if the need was there.

I’ve seen police officers stabbed when they were carrying a pistol. Fatal shots from a 22. Professionals injure themselves from negligent discharges.

I try not to waste too much of my mental space on the small details.

Top Bottom