Carry Permit wait time in Gary Indiana, 5 Months, just to meet with Police department and transmit the records.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    We bought my wife her very first 9mm sidearm a few weeks ago. She went through all the steps on her own to get her Lifetime License to Carry a Handgun, something many of us have already and don't think too much about once we have done it. Fill our forms, get your prints, go to the local police department.

The very last step, going into our local PD to pay them $50, and have them transmit the records to the state. We were told we need to make an appointment, and the next available appointment was May 7th (this was over a week ago). When I made the appointment, the clerk was very helpful, and explained that because of COVID, Indiana had waived the fees for a 5 year license, and that has created a significant increase in appointments for people requesting a license. She was very helpful and explained that they dedicate 4 hours every day to process these applications, and they take 15 minutes each.

Just wanted to share what we are dealing with in NWI to get a permit at the moment. Wish we had done it sooner.

Curious what it's like in other parts of the state right now?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Maybe I misunderstood but if you were told the free permit was because of Covid that is simply not true as you can see. It was passed 4-19 before there was any knowledge of Covid. Me being Doubting Thomas, that would make me question anything else I was told there.

On April 26, 2019, Indiana HB 1284 became Public Law 107. The bill was a major reform of firearm carry law in Indiana. One of the reforms was free five-year permits for the carry of handguns in Indiana, after 1 July, 2020. Most of the reforms went into effect immediately when the bill became law.
    Also written in the law
    Complete local law enforcement (sheriff or municipal police) agency processing within 180 days.

Sounds like they need to dedicate more time and resources to process permits. They should have been aware the rush was coming since April of 19. Just my :twocents:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We bought my wife her very first 9mm sidearm a few weeks ago. She went through all the steps on her own to get her Lifetime License to Carry a Handgun, something many of us have already and don't think too much about once we have done it. Fill our forms, get your prints, go to the local police department.

The very last step, going into our local PD to pay them $50, and have them transmit the records to the state. We were told we need to make an appointment, and the next available appointment was May 7th (this was over a week ago). When I made the appointment, the clerk was very helpful, and explained that because of COVID, Indiana had waived the fees for a 5 year license, and that has created a significant increase in appointments for people requesting a license. She was very helpful and explained that they dedicate 4 hours every day to process these applications, and they take 15 minutes each.

Just wanted to share what we are dealing with in NWI to get a permit at the moment. Wish we had done it sooner.

COVID had nothing to due with no State/Local fees on the 5 year license (to carry a handgun, LTCH.) That was a law that passed in 2019, the no fee part went into affect 1 July 2020.

7 May??? For local processing? Big BS flag up here. 7 March would be ridiculous as well. Lower right of The 2A Project link has a contact box. Send Guy a note.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    My brother started the process for the 5 year license at the end of September 2020, he received his permit in the middle of January 2021.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    Well, Lake County is extremely populous. I hope, for you and your wife's sake, that this is simply an "under-promise, over-deliver" customer service tactic.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They are selling you snake oil, big.

1. The 5 year license is free because of legislation passed in 2019.

2. Covid has nothing to do with the "waiver" of any fees, again, it is the law. Clerks or Sheriff or the Gary Police cannot "waive" any fees either.

3. Applications do not take "15 minutes" to process. They are slow walking things to jam up the process in Lake County and that is a crying shame.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Applications do not take "15 minutes" to process. They are slow walking things to jam up the process in Lake County and that is a crying shame.
    I'll say that in my personal experience 15 minutes is about right. I dealt with the Lake County Sheriff, but from the time I handed my paperwork to the clerk until the time I got it back was pretty close to that. I was the only person there at that time for an LTCH and I could see the person working at the computer doing the processing. My paperwork did not just sit while I was waiting. This was pre-covid.

What is a reasonable amount of resources to dedicate to LTCH processing? My math says Gary is processing 300 per week with a backlog of 6,000.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'll say that in my personal experience 15 minutes is about right. I dealt with the Lake County Sheriff, but from the time I handed my paperwork to the clerk until the time I got it back was pretty close to that. I was the only person there at that time for an LTCH and I could see the person working at the computer doing the processing. My paperwork did not just sit while I was waiting. This was pre-covid.

What is a reasonable amount of resources to dedicate to LTCH processing? My math says Gary is processing 300 per week with a backlog of 6,000.
    8 hours a day instead of 4 hours would be a good start if they are that far behind? OR how about another person to process the apps? Hard to believe any government agency is understaffed in the office area. I doubt there's an excess of road deputies but office help is normally abundant where government is concerned.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @XbigcheezX, you have to go to your local pd. If you reside in the Gary city limits you go to the Gary PD. I was lucky and while I have a Gary mailing address I live in Calumet Twp. I got to deal with the county sheriff's dept.

DEAIV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Southwest Indy

My fiancé is currently in the process of getting hers. We live in Marion county, and it’s the same deal. Her appointment landed on a voting day back in November when there was a 5+ hour wait just to get into the city county building. So she had to make another appointment that lands in mid June. Which is just outrageous, almost like they’re infringing upon her 2nd amendment right.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    My fiancé is currently in the process of getting hers. We live in Marion county, and it’s the same deal. Her appointment landed on a voting day back in November when there was a 5+ hour wait just to get into the city county building. So she had to make another appointment that lands in mid June. Which is just outrageous, almost like they’re infringing upon her 2nd amendment right.
    As an aside, If you live in Johnson county they will process your app 24/7. The difference is having a Sheriff that cares about the people in his district VS someone that is concerned about the criminals. Thank you Sheriff Burgess

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Remember this, when people ask what the big deal is, waiting for a license.

When they wonder why we want "Constitutional Carry"
    I have gotten in so many ridiculous fear based arguments over this. They simply can't grasp the fact that one can buy and possess a handgun without the pink card... most of the time we don't even get to the part about the waiting times and hoops one commonly has to jump through. There are some exceptions who can argue reasonably. Such is life in a "blue bubble" campus town.

DEAIV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Southwest Indy
    As an aside, If you live in Johnson county they will process your app 24/7. The difference is having a Sheriff that cares about the people in his district VS someone that is concerned about the criminals. Thank you Sheriff Burgess
    I’m so close to Johnson county, I wish I would have left Marion county when I moved about 6 months ago. Highly regret it. Ideally I’d like to just move to Texas or Florida in the future, I’m over the winters here.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I just got off the phone with my daughter who works for Fort Wayne PD and she said she does the processing and could have one done in 5-15 minutes depending on what pops up on you when she enters you in the computer. She did tell me that they only process applications on a specific shift and it rotates each month. This month second shift processes applications and next month it will be third shift, so depending on when you come in it may take 24 hours. Every municipality does theirs differently, sorry you are stuck in a shi**y local.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would say contact your Representative or Senator. But since they're both very anti-gun, I don't see that happening.

Anyone have any better ideas on who to call to light a fire on this?

Top Bottom