• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Hey all, I was looking for some advice regarding my wife getting a lifetime carry permit. First, I heard the rumor that Indiana is getting rid of the Lifetime Carry permit next year. Im not sure if it is true or not (since that would require new legislation), but Id rather not chance it. Second, my wife has wanted to get a handgun permit for quite some time now, but since she is a teacher, she has been nervous about the idea. She is worried that it would cause her to be discriminated against when applying for a teaching position if we were to move in the future or if she had to find a new teaching position in general. I have had mine for several years now and have not faced any issues, however, I am not a teacher, nor do I work for the government, so it could be completely different. Are there any Indiana teachers out there who have a carry permit that could give me some feedback on this issue? Would the employer (in this case the principal) even be able to find out through records whether or not an individual has a carry permit, and if so, would employment discrimination be an issue in this case? Thanks for any advice on the matter, I really appreciate it. Have a good one.

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Life time permit isn't going away anytime in the near future.

My father-in-law is a teacher and has his permit. I don't believe it's ever come up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wouldn't worry about it. No, the lifetime LTCH is not going away. This question comes up about once a week or so. But while she's off for Christmas break is a good time to get the application process started IMO. About the only way I could imagine an employer finding out would be if they asked. But I'm not sure if that's one of the questions they could legally ask you in a job interview...maybe our resident HR "professionals" or lawyers can address that.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Cool! I won the pool on when the next person to ask about the lifetime LTCH going away would occur. ;)

exphys2010- As you rightly surmised, it would take legislation to toss the lifetime LTCH. It is one of those rumors that just can't be killed. If you stick around INGO, any such news will be huge here, so you won't be surprised. As for possible problems with your wife having an LTCH, assuming you are concealed carriers, then the rule of thumb is that you shouldn't share that information at all unless you really trust the person you are talking to. As you are aware, some people have an unreasonable fear of them. Just follow the rules, keep it quiet and she will be fine.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    The advice you've received so far has been accurate. It's not going away. She should apply asap so she can carry asap.

Employers cannot ask about firearms thanks to the revised "parking lot" bill.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Nonsense.
    And my wife is a teacher, she applied for and received her Lifetime License this summer.

They did however have a meeting regarding use of social media at the beginning of the school year. They showed a bunch of examples of teachers across the country who were fired for various things. One of which involved a picture of a teacher, posing with a rifle (we thought this was pretty odd). There were many that involved alcoholic beverages in hand, etc... In most cases, they were private, but word got out eventually. In all cases, the pictures were posted by the said teachers. Apparently it is different if someone else posts the picture of them. It's pretty bizarre, but they all have to be 'Mother Theresa' nowadays. So I understand your concern.

Last edited:

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The advice you've received so far has been accurate. It's not going away. She should apply asap so she can carry asap.

Employers cannot ask about firearms thanks to the revised "parking lot" bill.

Is it actually illegal to ask this question? When I was going through a background check with the Marion County SD I was asked this question.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    What others have said.

Get the permit; it isn't going away anytime soon, but she should have it as soon as possible, for reasons.

No employer needs to know about the permit; it isn't related to the job in any way, and is irrelevant.

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I'm sure that won't come up in a background check or interview. As an educator with a LTCH it has never been a concern. I have several teachers on my staff that have their LTCH. No worries for your wife getting her LTCH and teaching.

Top Bottom