Carry on US Army Corp of Engineers Land Revision Progress?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

About three years ago, the USACE asked for comments on revision of their rules to more closely reflect the carry laws of the States:

I can't find any progress thus far. It's nice that they're addressing the issue, and I further realize that this is the Federal Government we're taking about and they're not known for hurrying up. But this is one of the final issues I have with carry in Indiana, and it would sure be nice to have an update.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah, the Corps of Engineers pretty much just ran out the bureaucratic clock until a change of administrations, and then let it die. It went through the entire process, and should’ve been implemented, but they just never took the final step.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Im afraid your are correct. It really doesn’t make sense. You can already bring a gun into a lake to go hunting. Handguns really are not an issue. My guess is that anyone who had ever been charged with an illegal handgun on Corp property was probably doing something else naughty.

I did have a LEO buddy m get called out for having a handgun while fishing and duck hunting in Louisiana. Resulted in multiple game wardens getting involved, discussing LEOSA, much confusion.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    The Corps of Engineers would nuke you for moving a mud puddle aka "waterway" on your own land.
    SCOTUS probably have to make them give way on handguns the same as they did with their waterway land usage ruling they just handed down.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Im afraid your are correct. It really doesn’t make sense. You can already bring a gun into a lake to go hunting. Handguns really are not an issue. My guess is that anyone who had ever been charged with an illegal handgun on Corp property was probably doing something else naughty.

I did have a LEO buddy m get called out for having a handgun while fishing and duck hunting in Louisiana. Resulted in multiple game wardens getting involved, discussing LEOSA, much confusion.
    I had a CO come up to me while I was camping at Monroe and fishing off the back of my boat because he saw the pistol on my hip right around the time when I thought this was a done deal and it was legal. I told him about it, and he was the one that told me that it hadn't passed. He was cool about it though and just told me to put my gun in the tent with a touch of "*wink wink nudge nudge*"

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    not sure of any progress or updates, but just a couple years ago (in the Louisville District at least) you could get permission from the commander to carry at a specific project, like Monroe Lake for example. It was a fairly painless process, just some paperwork and waiting game. But then you have to do it for each project

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    not sure of any progress or updates, but just a couple years ago (in the Louisville District at least) you could get permission from the commander to carry at a specific project, like Monroe Lake for example. It was a fairly painless process, just some paperwork and waiting game. But then you have to do it for each project

Thanks for the info!

I'm not much for asking permission to do something I already have the right to do.

We just seen the terrible examples of what can happen in a place where the right to self defense was banned. :xmad:

:twocents:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I'm not much for asking permission to do something I already have the right to do.

all I can say is when the same government who granted you that right restricts it in certain zones, remember it wasn’t the lowly park ranger enforcing it who made that rule

my ears are still healing from all the chewing they got :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its ALL .gov that is slow.

FCC agreed to lower the cost of licenses. over 18 months ago. They have yet to implement the change.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    My property on Lake Monroe has a small buffer along the shore that technically belongs to the Corp. (or at least governed by the Corp.) I find the idea that I can cary a gun on my property but one step into the Corp. right of way (or whatever they call that area) turns me into a scofflaw. I honestly had no idea about not being allowed to carry on Corp. property until I read it here on INGO. Turns out I've long been an unknowing scofflaw, go figure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    all I can say is when the same government who granted you that right restricts it in certain zones, remember it wasn’t the lowly park ranger enforcing it who made that rule

my ears are still healing from all the chewing they got :):

Government granted us no right to self defense. The right to self defense is God given.

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment was written to assure the government stays out of the self defense of it's citizens.

:patriot:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My property on Lake Monroe has a small buffer along the shore that technically belongs to the Corp. (or at least governed by the Corp.) I find the idea that I can cary a gun on my property but one step into the Corp. right of way (or whatever they call that area) turns me into a scofflaw. I honestly had no idea about not being allowed to carry on Corp. property until I read it here on INGO. Turns out I've long been an unknowing scofflaw, go figure.
    Its not small in many cases. They directly own or control up to the maximum flood pool 556.0 foot elevation (which is the height of the emergency spill way)

(everything in the blue)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Its not small in many cases. They directly own or control up to the maximum flood pool 556.0 foot elevation (which is the height of the emergency spill way)

(everything in the blue)
    Yeah, I meant small relative the my acreage. Of course I'm taxed for that area. Heck, it's added as enhancement or modifier; I pay higher taxes for the lake frontage. But I had better not dare cut down a tree or plant a garden in that area. And now, as I have found out, I'm not allowed to have a pistol on my hip should I choose to walk down there and fish. Honestly, I don't mind keeping the shoreline wooded and no private docks. It would turn into a fishbowl like Geist if that kind of development occured. Yuck.

Top Bottom