Carry Knife type preference? Auto? Assisted? Manual?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which types of knives do you prefer?

• Auto - OTF

Votes: 10 11.8%
    • Auto - Out the Side

Votes: 22 25.9%
    • Assisted

Votes: 20 23.5%
    • Manual

Votes: 10 11.8%
    • Manual - Quick open (Thumb stud, Spine flipper, Wave)

Votes: 46 54.1%
    • Bacon Knife

Votes: 6 7.1%
    • Fixed Blade

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    One type of knife that wasn't mentioned, is perhaps my favorite. (although it's often defined by its' position, and not by type) The mighty, but sneaky neck knife !

Like this Fred Perrin La Griffe, which is often hung from my neck with an added signal whistle on the cord.

i-948wbVf-L.jpg

Or, if you want to emulate Otzi the Iceman, this very usable neck knife gets the nod sometimes.

i-mkjgW2z-M.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Always lockbacks.
    Spyderco Endura for me, usually fully serrated.
    Also carry Gerber Warrant fixed on big work days.
    Very sad the Gerber Warrant is discontinued.
    I have a rule on my job sites, no liner locks. Mud gets packed in the handle and releases the lock, and the blade closes on your fingers.
    I can’t imagine an auto would last in the mud.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I generally carry a “manual - quick open” type, but enjoy an assisted or fixed once in awhile. Not a big fan of autos, mostly due to their price though.

Spyderco is probably my favorite due to the SpydieHole, and I like their lockback (I carry a Stretch almost every day), compression lock, or some of their liners and frame locks.

I also find the Benchmade Axis to be quite sturdy as far as locks go, but I don’t have many BMs at present, not sure why. They need to bring back a few of their designs such as the 710 and the AFCK (w/ SpydieHole), they were classics!

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I wasn’t aware of Benchmade having a connection to liberal causes. What is the story?
    It started when Benchmade destroyed confiscated guns for local law enforcement. That wasn't a real problem but it caused their political donations to be publicized. As of 2019 they had donated well over $1 million to democratic political candidates some of which are strong anti-gun nuts.

This is a small sample:
    Mark Udall (D-CO) $5,200
    Martin Heinrich (D-NM) $2,700
    Ron Wyden (D-OR) $12,900

I asked their rep at a gun show if they were still continuing and in short he said yes.
    So, when I buy a Benchmade knife some small portion of that money will go to an anti gun politicians.
    I don't like it and I have bought one Benchmade knife since learning this but they are damn fine knives.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    It started when Benchmade destroyed confiscated guns for local law enforcement. That wasn't a real problem but it caused their political donations to be publicized. As of 2019 they had donated well over $1 million to democratic political candidates some of which are strong anti-gun nuts.

This is a small sample:
    Mark Udall (D-CO) $5,200
    Ron Wyden (D-OR) $12,900

I asked their rep at a gun show if they were still continuing and in short he said yes.
    So, when I buy a Benchmade knife some small portion of that money will go to an anti gun politicians.
    I don't like it and I have bought one Benchmade knife since learning this but they are damn fine knives.

My solution? Buy used. They don’t see any money from me (yes, I understand they saw it from the original owner, but I can’t go back in time and change that), but I still get to enjoy their products if I so desire. And I get a substantial savings, as I feel many of BM’s products are overpriced. Win/win, or as close to one as I can get.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    A question to the OP, Edged Tools.
    Since you see and have interactions with so many people, regarding knives, do you see anything that surprises you in the poll?
    For me, I'm a little surprised that so many edc a fixed blade. I understand this is a very small sample size, but to still have that percentage at folks rolling old school is impressive to me.
    Your thoughts?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For me, I'm a little surprised that so many edc a fixed blade.
    Nobody said anything about EDC in the poll.

What I prefer. I fixed blade drop point hunter 4.5 inches long with a think spine.

What I EDC a gerber razor blade holder folder and a pair of Kline electrical snips (heavy duty scissors). More people would use snips if they knew about them.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Nobody said anything about EDC in the poll.

What I prefer. I fixed blade drop point hunter 4.5 inches long with a think spine.

What I EDC a gerber razor blade holder folder and a pair of Kline electrical snips (heavy duty scissors). More people would use snips if they knew about them.
    My bad, I saw "carry knife" and assumed edc.
    I used to edc a fixed blade in my youth and knew several others that did as well. Now days it's rare to see anyone with a fixed blade unless they're in the field or doing something task specific that calls for one. I always liked my Buck fixed blade in a quality sheath, it was tough as nails and easy to keep sharp. I never worried about it breaking or worried too much about it getting dull, all I had to do was not lose it.
    Simpler times.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    A question to the OP, Edged Tools.
    Since you see and have interactions with so many people, regarding knives, do you see anything that surprises you in the poll?
    For me, I'm a little surprised that so many edc a fixed blade. I understand this is a very small sample size, but to still have that percentage at folks rolling old school is impressive to me.
    Your thoughts?
    I think it was mostly what I expected. I did think assisted would be higher in the poll and I also expected bacon to get more votes because… INGO.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Personally I liked the flipper stud and assisted open that many Kershaw products have. Just a little finger swipe down the spine of the handle where there's nothing to foul on.

Currently carrying a BM Axis lock knife. It's okay. Couldn't find anything comparable with the flipper.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

This is a small sample:
    Mark Udall (D-CO) $5,200
    Ron Wyden (D-OR) $12,900

Benchmade just went after Rogue Bladeworks for making aftermarket scales for their Bailout model, which is another blemish on the brand.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Up until a couple days ago, my EDC was a spaderco tenacious which had served me well for 10 years and was only $35 when I first got it. It doesn't use top tier steel in the blade so it may not hold it's edge as long as others but is has been an amazing knife and got used every day. It just got replaced with a benchmade CLA out the side folder. Not because it wore out, I just wanted an auto and I figured after ten years, I was due.

Top Bottom