Carry Knife type preference? Auto? Assisted? Manual?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which types of knives do you prefer?

• Auto - OTF

Votes: 10 11.8%
    • Auto - Out the Side

Votes: 22 25.9%
    • Assisted

Votes: 20 23.5%
    • Manual

Votes: 10 11.8%
    • Manual - Quick open (Thumb stud, Spine flipper, Wave)

Votes: 46 54.1%
    • Bacon Knife

Votes: 6 7.1%
    • Fixed Blade

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Either a manual titanium frame lock , or Microtech Out The Side Automatic myself here. Been known to occasionally carry an Emerson but the wave kinda makes it almost an auto.

Big fan of a well made frame lock, nothing sturdier IMHO. And the higher end sub frame lock knives have fantastic machining work. Out The Side autos are for when I want a lightweight easy to use knife. The framelocks are for more shall we say not knife related tasks occasionally.

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Good fixed blades are awesome and tougher than doing your own tax returns drunk.
    I still prefer a folder for the everyday crap that needs a blade put to it. Throw a pocket clip, decent steel and a thumb stud or a hole to help pop it open and I'm sold............................as long as it's under $50.
    Did I mention I was a cheap bastard?

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    For a quick open type knife, I prefer the Spyderco hole. Makes the blade look a little odd to some but is much easier to operate than a stud. My EDC knife is an old Bladetech Tim Wegner Design in S30V. It has kind of an egg shaped hole that functions about as well as the round Spyderco hole. I assume it still was licensed from Spyderco. As far as lock style, I vote for a liner lock. Dead simple and very strong.
    Bladetech.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I usually choose one from this group for EDC. (click to make larger)

i-zkdF3tr-XL.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    EDC - Auto out of the side every day.
    Hunting- Buck 110
    Work to be done - Fixed blade

Regardless of choice, keep it sharp.....I utterly detest dull knives.
    A dull knife is more dangerous (to the user) than a sharp one. Sharp knives go where you expect them to go, dull ones not so much.

And that is about all I know about (non-chef's) knives. My favorite is my 6" Kyocera Ming Tsai edition ceramic chef's knife. Glides through tomato peel, apples, etc effortlessly.

So many steels and mechanisms to choose from, it's dizzying.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A dull knife is more dangerous (to the user) than a sharp one. Sharp knives go where you expect them to go, dull ones not so much.

And that is about all I know about (non-chef's) knives. My favorite is my 6" Kyocera Ming Tsai edition ceramic chef's knife. Glides through tomato peel, apples, etc effortlessly.

So many steels and mechanisms to choose from, it's dizzying.

Dead on balls accurate.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My go- to daily knife for at home and around the property is a Kershaw Blur with a half-serrated blade. I can open and close it easily with one hand while I hold work in the other. I use and sometimes loose these knives. I see the Blur as strong with a good warranty (eve if abused) and at $70 it's not cheap but not a tragedy when lost.

Depending on the plans for the day I may carry others but all can be operated with one hand. Hard to beat the Bench Made Griptillion or mini-grip (even if I don't like their donations to liberals).

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    My go- to daily knife for at home and around the property is a Kershaw Blur with a half-serrated blade. I can open and close it easily with one hand while I hold work in the other. I use and sometimes loose these knives. I see the Blur as strong with a good warranty (eve if abused) and at $70 it's not cheap but not a tragedy when lost.

Depending on the plans for the day I may carry others but all can be operated with one hand. Hard to beat the Bench Made Griptillion or mini-grip (even if I don't like their donations to liberals).
    I wasn’t aware of Benchmade having a connection to liberal causes. What is the story?

Top Bottom