• ...and so much more!
  • Hunter58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    That reminds me of a LONG time ago.
    Some 50+years ago while I was still a wee lad, Lafayette's Columbian Park had a zoo. They still have a zoo, and actually it's much, much better than before, but I digress.

Columbian Park housed a gorilla back in the day. He was not the biggest I've seen. Also not the friendliest.
    "Buddy" was his name and he was famous locally for terrorizing small children when they visited. He was housed in what looked like a jail cell. Very small and all concrete. He had a "tree" inside, and a shelf resembling a cliff. He had access to an enclosure outside that was roughly the same size as his indoor accommodations.
    Buddy would just lay about, alone in his cage, day-in, and day-out. Rarely moving, until some small child would scream at him, or some loud-mouthed adult stated waving their arms around. Then Buddy would get pissed. He would start running around his cage screaming, throwing things at the cage, and generally running amok until either the zoo staff shooed off the unruly visitors, or until they left on their own.
    Then, when I was still very young, Buddy figured out how to get out of his cage,
    He did so several times, destroying some small amount of property most times, and scaring the living daylights out of anyone he encountered while free.

I've often wondered what ever happened to Buddy, I'm sure he's probably dead by now, but...
    Poor Buddy.

Thread-jack over.
    Buddy actually was a large chimp. Was known to smoke cigarettes and would go crazy when women were around his cage. He was later moved to another zoo towards the end. Do you remember the alligator island behind his cage in the large animal house? Here is a picture of Buddy the Chimp serving as honorary train "conductor" (date unknown).

Attachments

• buddy the chimp.JPG
      buddy the chimp.JPG
      143.8 KB · Views: 15
    Top Bottom