• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Chicago
    So according to the IL State Police (from what I've read), if you're an IN resident, carry in a vehicle is legal so long as you have your LTCH on you. If you leave the vehicle, you have to disarm and store it in there. Is this accurate? Anyone here carry in their car in IL and have experience doing this often?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    yes, and yes
    pov, private property (with expressed permission by the owner) and gun ranges its legal to carry.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Might find some info in this thread...

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Not sure if the wording is the same now, but when Illinois was forced into the whole permit thing, it actually said if you exit the vehicle and stay within an arms length(keeping one hand on the vehicle) you were legal with your ltch. They needed to make an allowance to store the firearm in the the trunk. I’m ashamed to say I was born in Illinois. I do everything I can to avoid that state.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Not sure if the wording is the same now, but when Illinois was forced into the whole permit thing, it actually said if you exit the vehicle and stay within an arms length(keeping one hand on the vehicle) you were legal with your ltch. They needed to make an allowance to store the firearm in the the trunk. I’m ashamed to say I was born in Illinois. I do everything I can to avoid that state.
    I believe the term was "close physical proximity " So you can stand there and pump gas but if you go in for donuts your "suppose" to store in car.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    I believe the term was "close physical proximity " So you can stand there and pump gas but if you go in for donuts your "suppose" to store in car.
    I think its the curtilege around your car is how the law reads if I remember correctly, and I think that applies to storing it in the vehicle, for example, walking to the back and opening the trunk. Not sure thats the same thing as getting out and filling your vehicle up with gas. Just sayin.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I think its the curtilege around your car is how the law reads if I remember correctly, and I think that applies to storing it in the vehicle, for example, walking to the back and opening the trunk. Not sure thats the same thing as getting out and filling your vehicle up with gas. Just sayin.
    Just going by what a trusted friend that teaches Illinois CCW told me and I did read sinething but its been a few years.

And not to get off topic just a past observation. Aside from the FOID card requirement llinois was more gun friendly than Indiana use to be in one reguard. You could legally carry a gun unloaded in a car beforw the prwmit days where Indiana you had to have a LTCH to be "legal" Not that anyone enforced it much.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    SwikLS is the closest, but not quite right on the wording.
    Here is the section of law that allows you to have it loaded in your vehicle. Notice it states if it remains in the vehicle.
    (430 ILCS 66/40)
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

And this is what covers storing it in the trunk if you are leaving your vehicle. Notice it states you can carry it in the immediate area surrounding the vehicle only for the purpose of storing/retrieving it from the trunk.
    (430 ILCS 66/65)
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Top Bottom