Canvas coating to revitalize older fabric?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got what appears to be a semi-synthetic canvas boat cover. Its still waterproof and sturdy and pliable. But when you shake it dust comes off of it. Like its starting to break down. And it feels unusually coarse and is losing its softness/flexibility. The stuff coming off of it It reminds me of a fiberglass ladder that needs to be re-sealed because the fibers are coming loose.

Is there anything I can coat it with to extend its life?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    We had Sunbrella bow and cockpit covers on our 2 runabouts. I treated them with 303 fabric guard with excellent results.
    Our canvas wasn't "shedding" like yours is, but if any liquid application can help it I would think the 303 stuff would.

303 Fabric Guard

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Grandpa used either alcohol or kerosene and mixed it with paraffin wax to saturate raw canvas 55 years ago for his wagon tarps. Worked like a champ. Of course we sprayed hogs down with diesel fuel to kill lice too. He got 100 miles per gallon per hog or was it a hundred hogs per gallon, I forget.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's going to be hard to get something these days that will melt the stuff that's coming apart back together and then add to it. 20 years ago I would have used Hypalon rubber in solution, but that's another wonderful chemical no longer made here in the US.

It all really depends on what the canvas is treated with in the first place.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's going to be hard to get something these days that will melt the stuff that's coming apart back together and then add to it. 20 years ago I would have used Hypalon rubber in solution, but that's another wonderful chemical no longer made here in the US.

It all really depends on what the canvas is treated with in the first place.
    Ive got some 303 on the way. I'll give it a good scrubbing to remove the stuff that has come off so far, then treat it to prevent further decay. See if that buys me a couple years.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Grandpa used either alcohol or kerosene and mixed it with paraffin wax to saturate raw canvas 55 years ago for his wagon tarps......
    Along that line we used Thompson's Weather Seal applied with pump sprayer forty some years ago which is a friendlier version of what you mention on our boat tarps. But the OP's wording of semi-synthetic canvas kinda confuses me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Along that line we used Thompson's Weather Seal applied with pump sprayer forty some years ago which is a friendlier version of what you mention on our boat tarps. But the OP's wording of semi-synthetic canvas kinda confuses me.
    There is no tag, so I cant tell exactly what its made of. But I can tell its a mix of something. Its not pure duck, but it also doesnt appear to be pure synthetic.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    My next guess is the stuff they use to tarp semi grain trailers and I forget the name of that. At one time Dad had at least three trailer tarps worth. I’ll check if any and enough is still around at dads and you can probably have enough to do your boat and a couple others if you don’t mind red or red orangish. I’ll check with pop later today.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My next guess is the stuff they use to tarp semi grain trailers and I forget the name of that. At one time Dad had at least three trailer tarps worth. I’ll check if any and enough is still around at dads and you can probably have enough to do your boat and a couple others if you don’t mind red or red orangish. I’ll check with pop later today.
    I appreciate it, but I dont want the hassle of cutting and sewing a new one to shape. I'd just buy new. They arent overly expensive.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I appreciate it, but I dont want the hassle of cutting and sewing a new one to shape. I'd just buy new. They arent overly expensive.
    You're lucky. A custom-made cover for my pontoon is pushing $600. I've been buying heavy duty tarps from Harbor Freight, but admittedly they don't work as well as the custom made ones. Problems with ponding and support have been a major headache. Probably should just bite the bullet and get a custom one, but I'm a cheap bastard. :):

Top Bottom