• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    One positive of this Covid is I learned to can. A question for those that went through supply shortages before. Do you see lids being available again in the spring?

I want to bulk buy but the manufacturers have not updated their websites since CV sellouts. I am trying a set of the reusable Tattler lids. But want metal for longer term storage.

jars are another need. Those I see returning. Really hope to find used ones.

trying to plan. Increased garden by more than 300%. Kid discovered he loves home canned green bean (I do not).

lots to get ready for. Just trying to stay in the budget w planning ahead.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lids are still tight. LOL. Tattlers we have and a problem with. They are certainly reusable, but the failure rate is higher than 2nd and 3rd time reused metal lids. I know, they tell us not to reuse metal lids, but they seem to work well if they are in good shape and removed carefully.

Lid makers are blaming a tin shortage. If they are the same people who make sheet metal for primers, I can see why the shortage! All we can do at present is show up at garage/estate sales and check thrift stores, being ready to snap up any lids and jars present. Now there is more competition than in years past.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Lids are still tight. LOL. Tattlers we have and a problem with. They are certainly reusable, but the failure rate is higher than 2nd and 3rd time reused metal lids. I know, they tell us not to reuse metal lids, but they seem to work well if they are in good shape and removed carefully.

Lid makers are blaming a tin shortage. If they are the same people who make sheet metal for primers, I can see why the shortage! All we can do at present is show up at garage/estate sales and check thrift stores, being ready to snap up any lids and jars present. Now there is more competition than in years past.

COVID shut down a lot of steel production.
    My mill had one casting line running, out of four.
    And we were mostly making D&I steel used in cans.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We're back up, when autos started being sold.
    Probably not a full 100 percent in production, but facilities are back up.
    A LOT of what we do us automotive. The new metals in the safety cages are the BIG ticket item. Mostly newer metals, difficult to make, lots of wear and tear on machinery.
    We make something like a thousand different grades. Kitchenware and toasters to high tech safety auto safety cages, and lots of D&I for food cans.

The D&I was what kept me employed.
    Lots of cans being made then. And we were making approx 400,000 tons per hour.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have been looking for wide mouth pints since September. I have plenty of lids and new jars usually come with lids...but the wide mouth pints have been unobtainium....they are perfect for canned meat loaf, beef, chicken, and pork

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have been looking for wide mouth pints since September. I have plenty of lids and new jars usually come with lids...but the wide mouth pints have been unobtainium....they are perfect for canned meat loaf, beef, chicken, and pork
    I agree, and the same lids and rings are interchangeable with WM quarts.
    PM sent PB

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Rural king in Muncie had the 12 pack large opening jars with lids and seals.
    Remember you also need water bath or pressure cooker... depending on what your canning....suregel for jams, etc.......ball blue book....funnel, sieve, a jar grabber thingy......probably more, should ask my wife for complete list

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    Dollar General stores normally get Great Harvest brand lids here about anytime. I’d keep an eye out for them once they start putting out the spring related items. They used to be 1.25 for a box of 12. No wide mouth though. I’ve checked my local Menards but the shelves are still bare in the canning section.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    amazon.com/gp/product/B08KW13KYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a hundred of these back in December. Have not tested them yet, but no reason to question.

The listing says they are back in Feb 11th.

I didn't order more on the idea that I still have six dozen new jars w/lids and hundreds of once used lids.

I have had the same results as spencer rifle with reusing lids. About the same success rate as new lids.

I err on the side of new lids when they are readily available, but I've been eating out of a case of green bean quarts with second use lids from last year. Testing 100%, so far.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Agreed. I don't like reusing lids, but necessity being a mother and all...

Some of our lids have 3 labels, as I've said. But never ones that get mutilated in removal, or have cracks/flaws/missing pieces in the red rubber rim. At one point our sons had a plan to reuse old lids to make scale armor. They never did get around to it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Agreed. I don't like reusing lids, but necessity being a mother and all...

Some of our lids have 3 labels, as I've said. But never ones that get mutilated in removal, or have cracks/flaws/missing pieces in the red rubber rim. At one point our sons had a plan to reuse old lids to make scale armor. They never did get around to it.
    First few years that I had my All American pressure canner, I canned a lot. I was always out of lids, and it just didn't make sense to keep throwing money at lids and lids and lids. In those early canning years, I reused lids frequently. Sure, once in a while you lose a seal, the same as with new lids. :dunno:

I was trying to track how many uses on them at one time. I kinda gave that up and based reuse on inspection. Now days, with hundreds of used lids stored, I do whole canning sessions with reused lids and toss them as the product is used.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I scored 5 boxes of lids. Will try reusing as well. Gotta keep getting jars. Lots of garden is planned for canning. I have not yet talked myself into a second canner but probably should. When stuff is ready you can’t wait.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    amazon.com/gp/product/B08KW13KYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a hundred of these back in December. Have not tested them yet, but no reason to question.

The listing says they are back in Feb 11th.

I didn't order more on the idea that I still have six dozen new jars w/lids and hundreds of once used lids.

I have had the same results as spencer rifle with reusing lids. About the same success rate as new lids.

I err on the side of new lids when they are readily available, but I've been eating out of a case of green bean quarts with second use lids from last year. Testing 100%, so far.
    I used some of those last Fall and they’re Chinese made junk. 60 percent failure at least and lots of buckling. Look at the reviews and you’ll see others with the same issue. Would not recommend these or the other ones from Chinese sellers.

Top Bottom