Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Coming from a long time member... it's a stupid rule. There, I said it. It's INGO's rule but imo, a stupid one.

My last mistake was mixed in with a couple other posts. A mod graciously deleted all the posts. I didn't realize it was even a for sale item until checking my watched posts. It was my bad. I'm not trying to intentionally break a rule. Thankfully, I didn't get ding'd.

I'm still going to therapy for a demerit received from Que about 15 years ago. It's a scare that will never heal.
    That would have been me deleting your stupid posts breaking a stupid rule. So instead Of dinging you I gave you a break. That won’t happen again I promise.
    How about you run the site for a while.
    Lots of rules can be deemed stupid by those who break them. We take a lot of time making these stupid rules to make this stupid site run smother so it’s easier to navigate.

We have what, 12 pretty simple rules for using the classifieds.
    We talk of changes as the need arises and many are never put in place in the quest to keep things simple and I guess stupid.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    32961142fad6340d403a9a71635f483f.jpg

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    You say that I can see my infractions, can you tell me where to find that? And for the record I am not arguing the rule, I'm not even disagreeing with the rule, but seeing as how the whole rest of the site is one enormous forum it is too easy to just get into a rhythm and click reply without remembering that it's a classified ad and not a discussion. Perhaps the classifieds forum should just auto lock every post as soon as it is posted so that there's no opportunity to make this mistake.
    I literally just did the same thing. I’ve been around awhile. I clicked reply from my phone thinking I was private messaging. My bad.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That would have been me deleting your stupid posts breaking a stupid rule. So instead Of dinging you I gave you a break. That won’t happen again I promise.
    How about you run the site for a while.
    Lots of rules can be deemed stupid by those who break them. We take a lot of time making these stupid rules to make this stupid site run smother so it’s easier to navigate.

We have what, 12 pretty simple rules for using the classifieds.
    We talk of changes as the need arises and many are never put in place in the quest to keep things simple and I guess stupid.
    Probably there’s a better way to say it than calling it a stupid rule. I think it’s fair for anyone to think a give rule might not make much sense for what he knows about it. That’s not disparaging those who made it. Sometimes it helps to clarify why the rule is there in the first place.

In this case, if someone doesn’t understand why commenting on a post is a bad thing, explaining that it unfairly bumps the ad then helps make it make more sense. Sure. Reading the rules help. Sometimes people just make mistakes. And they should appreciate the breaks they get.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Probably there’s a better way to say it than calling it a stupid rule. I think it’s fair for anyone to think a give rule might not make much sense for what he knows about it. That’s not disparaging those who made it. Sometimes it helps to clarify why the rule is there in the first place.

In this case, if someone doesn’t understand why commenting on a post is a bad thing, explaining that it unfairly bumps the ad then helps make it make more sense. Sure. Reading the rules help. Sometimes people just make mistakes. And they should appreciate the breaks they get.
    For anyone that is wondering why that rule was put into place, here is the explanation.

We used to allow PM sent, offers, questions and anything related to the item available to be hashed out in the thread itself. Over time, it became excessive. Very excessive. We had conversations happening in the thread, all with in the rules but constantly bumping it to the top. The vast majority of this could have been done with PM's and without bumping the ad every time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For anyone that is wondering why that rule was put into place, here is the explanation.

We used to allow PM sent, offers, questions and anything related to the item available to be hashed out in the thread itself. Over time, it became excessive. Very excessive. We had conversations happening in the thread, all with in the rules but constantly bumping it to the top. The vast majority of this could have been done with PM's and without bumping the ad every time.
    I think it’s unfair to other advertisers that don’t have conversations going on. Their ads don’t stay at the top. So I think the rule makes sense to me on that basis. Would be ideal if the software could enforce it rather than leaving it open to people accidentally breaking the rules.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I understand the no chatting in a sales ad rule. But I have seen people post a question, and assume they got infracted for it, that everyone that would go into that ad would have the same question. Something like what choke on a hunting shotgun, length of barrel, etc. I usually am just curious when I am looking and not that motivated, so no, I am not going to PM them with the question.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I understand the no chatting in a sales ad rule. But I have seen people post a question, and assume they got infracted for it, that everyone that would go into that ad would have the same question. Something like what choke on a hunting shotgun, length of barrel, etc. I usually am just curious when I am looking and not that motivated, so no, I am not going to PM them with the question.
    I think it’s a problem the forum software could easily solve but it’s probably a fairly esoteric problem, so the authors haven’t and probably won’t solve it. Would be having the ability to configure a subforum to bump threads only when the OP posts. But really, it would be grand if the software had a module specifically for classifieds.

Also it would be a good feature to email people a warning when someone attempts to pm when the inbox is full.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom